IW STi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thread preface: I did a search & didn't find a direct answer.

The immediate problem with my '04 STi is suspension. And money. I've blown my 2nd set of rear shocks (1st @ 29K miles, the 2nd at 65K miles on the Odometer). Obviously to me, OEM shocks don't live a long life on Central Indiana roads. Aftermarket coilovers and comparable kits are beyond my automotive budget (anybody know the term "Child Support"?).<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

So the Koni Yellow insert kit looks pretty impressive. I've chatted via email with Jesse (Kinger) and have come to believe the adjustability of the Konis is just what I need to cope with bad roads and the occasional track opportunities, and maybe enjoy a decent life-span of the shocks before they are sent back for rebuild. I have no problem with the mechanical challenge of the Koni install. But, the problem I have is this: Does the geometry change?<O:p</O:p

I just don't have the technical sources to determine what the differences are between say, an '04 WRX suspension and an '04 STi suspension. I called Koni in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:State w:st=Kentucky </ST1:p</st1:State>last week to verify some questions I had. And to answer the question posed in another thread: The Koni kit was developed for the WRX; the tube diameters between the WRX & STi are different (another reason I am concerned). And, not so long ago, Koni brought in an STi for testing & determined the suspension wasn't lacking in terms of performance. But the Engineer I spoke with said they weren't aware of the longevity problem with the OEM shocks. Further, if Koni picked up an STi development project today (which there is not one in consideration), it would be 2 years before we would see a product.<O:p</O:p
</O:p

Anyway, back to the original question: Can anyone tell me that putting a WRX suspension on my STi won't change the geometry in some way? When I say geometry, I'm talking about alignment settings, height, camber, caster, etc. Oh, and to add to my confusion, I was thinking that during this upgrade I would use my STi Tophats & springs.

I want better suspension, but not at the cost of different tire wear & the challenge of finding an alignment tech that understands a different setup from the book.<O:p</O:p

Please help, confusion is blinding.

·
Registered
900 Posts
too many smileys are blinding, lol

You will not have a significant change in any of the parameters you spoke of by going with a set of wrx housings and putting koni inserts in. What you will lose is the inverted damper design of the sti suspension and some lateral stiffness but you will make up for it with good adjustable dampers. Your alignment will be off after the install so you will have to get it aligned but so would everyone else sti or wrx. You can use your sti springs and tops if you want although I am pretty sure the sti stock strut tops are no different then the wrx. You have an 04 so you remain compatible with the wrx, 05-06 sti folks are the ones left out in the rain. Find a take-off stock wrx suspension over on nasioc or another wrx forum, order the yellows, and make an appointment at your local mechanic for an alighnment, you'll be all set.
oh and search here for the alignment values you should have the mechanic try and attain. This task should be well within their abilities.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool!

Chosing to keep the STi Springs is my thinking that the spring rate is likely different from the WRX. Am I right? Tophats were chosen to stay with springs.

I realized an alignment job would be necessary after the swap. I can't reassemble exactly as removed.

Added unsprung weight is what I lose by not having inverted dampers, yes?

Thanks for your input Sir!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts