21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: KManZ's - '09 DMG STi > Stage 2 Protuned

IT'S BEEN A WHILE!!!

October 25, 2011 - 29,575 miles

Almost a year and a half since I posted in this journal, and suffice it to say, I haven't done much of anything to my car since :(
Due to some big changes in my life, had to put the modding on hold, and eventually got heavy into photography, where all my money for the past year has been sucked. I haven't really thought about modding my car all that much despite the fact that she sits in an "unfinished" state. I am missing a subwoofer, stiffer springs, a CBE... not even tinted windows!!! :notsure:

Even though I haven't added anything to the car mod-wise, I still have taken care of her throughout the past year and a half. She's holding up pretty well, a rock chip here and there, and an ANNOYING rattle at the A-pillar/dash junction. And, some asshat decided to knee my driver's side front door, so I can't say she's in perfect shape. But she has character, and I LOVE my STi!

NEW PADS AND STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES + 30K MAINTENANCE

The STi, as of this writing, sits at nearly 30,000 miles, and I just performed the 30k Maintenance. Used the opportunity to upgrade to Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines, and some Cosworth Streetmaster brake pads all around. Had a chance to really flog the car on a rally through the Blue Ridge Parkway a few weeks back, and the new parts held up perfectly!

Oddly enough, the hard driving miraculously stopped the nagging swaybar clunking that I was experiencing. Before and during the drive I was having some brake squeal (break in, probably) and swaybars clunking at every dip or turn, even though I had recently re-lubed with a metric ***-ton of grease. But after the drive, both issues mysteriously vanished. Sweet!

WHAT'S NEXT?!!!

I wouldn't have updated my journal if everything was going to remain status quo!

The recent drive has reinvigorated the interest in my car, and suffice it to say, I have picked up where I have left off on my planned mods :clap::beer::evilbanan

Yesterday, purchased the Tanabe Medallion Touring CBE from Evasive Motorsports. Spent hours listening to sound clips on the net, and it came down to the Tanabe or the HKS Legamax.

Last week, bought an AEM Intake from a member here on IWSTIi (CHAUCH) :wave: Got the Cobb AP all updated and ready to flash.

In the near, near future, will be buying a Grimmspeed 3-Port EBCS, and then getting the car Protuned again. This will conclude my planned engine mods. After that, on to suspension!

Some pics of the car:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
AEM Intake

AEM Cold Air Intake

October 31, 2011 - 29,748 miles

Got my AEM intake today from CHAUCH, thanks man! Install was a breeze, no issues whatsoever, loaded up the Cobb OTS Stage 2 + AEM 93, and took the car for a quick spin. Sounds KICK ***! All these years I have heard STi's and the menacing turbo/BPV sound, and now I have it :evilbanan

Compared to my pre-AEM Protune map, the OTS Cobb map feels a slight bit more "urgent" when on the throttle. Not a HUGE difference, but noticeable. And like I mentioned, the sound is wicked.

GOOD NEWS: Tomorrow, my new Tanabe Medallion Touring arrives! EBCS arrives on Wednesday! Time to schedule my Protune!
:beer:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Tanabe Medalion CBE - Sex

TANABE MEDALION TOURING CBE

November 1, 2011 - 29,760 miles

Thanks to Evasive Motorsports for the sweet deal, EXCELLENT customer service & fast shipping.

Got off a little early from work, got the car into the air, ready for the special delivery

Install was a piece of cake, everything broke loose easy, and the new Medalion fit PERFECTLY into the stock hangers. Not only that, it mated up with no drama to my Invidia DP, as the Tanabe is 2.75", but the flange fits spot on with the 3" DP flange.

The exhaust tips are perfectly even, and are gorgeous: not too subtle, but not too bling either. They add a nice aggressive look to the *** end of the car, where I think it needs the most help (thanks Altezza F&F tailights
).

Got everything bolted up, and started her up. Took a video, but didn't want to show my first test b/c A) my annoying neighbor decided to start talking to me about nothing right in the middle of the vid, and B) I had an exhaust leak
. Tightened everything down, and tried it again:

2009 Subaru STi - Tanabe Medalion Touring CBE - YouTube

Sounds nice and mellow at idle, not boomy at all. I added in some revving, but I don't think it accurately portrays the exhaust sound at all, so in the near future I will get some driving/drive by vids. That's what you need to hear, because this exhaust sounds FRICKEN AWESOME. The car sounds grizzly, like a pissed of... something. Paired with my recently installed AEM intake, I've finally feel like I own an actual Subaru! The stock setup was just too pithy for me, no personality what so ever.

Next week: Protune at Mach V Motorsports, the coup de gras of my Fall 2011 upgrade adventure.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thank you sooo much for uploading the clip of the Tanabe, afaik its the only one on the net from a consumer!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts