IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is driving me nuts! Has anyone noticed a Klunking sound coming form the area of their gas tank; kind of a knocking or banging sound. It sounds like it might be a float in the gas tank for the fuel gage, I'm just guessing. You can't hear it with the radio loud or when the engine noise is loud but if I go along in 3rd or 4th at about 30mph and hit a bumpy section it is real noticeable. It doesn't matter if the tank is full or not. This is really pissing me off. I'm bringing the car in to the dealer tomarrow and I know this is going to be a tough one to get across. Any coments are appreciated. :roll:

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red STi ??!!??

I'm positive because I took the wench out and if you stop there's a loud clunk then softer ones, 2-1, before it stops.
It seems to happen when the gas tank is full or 1/2 or more, just dropped it off this morning, and I'm pretty sure that they are going to say 'We couldn't find anything wrong.' :cry:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wonder if your exhaust is banging on something, but I would think they'd use a beefy enough hanger on the STi that it wouldn't be a problem. Dunno. That's what I would look at first.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I just started getting a little tap-tapping from the truck/deck area in the back after my lap day at Laguna Seca - only when I'm over 25 or 30mph. Wasn't there before Saturday, so I guess I'll be fiddling around and looking for loose stuff one of these days. Until I figure out what's causing it, I'm just going to turn the stereo up a bit.

Let us know if they find something at the dealership. Maybe mine is similar...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm sorry, but speaking of lug wrench...does the STi have one!? I was poking around in there a little while ago and I found the jack and the spare obviously, but I didn't see a lug wrench at all....am I just not seeing it?

·
Registered
668 Posts
mine was in a yellow pouch, inside a torn black plastic bag that the dealer left in the trunk. Then I got the spare out and couldn't find the thing that you use to turn it, then i found it attached to the carpet in the spare tire well. So you might have to go searching for it.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the dealer was very appologetic but he couldn't hear anything and neither could I. Isn't thet the way it always is! So now I'll just have to wait until it happens again, at least someone else was in the car and heard it too. He says that I should just demand a new gas tank! I'll just have to wait until it happens again and drive right in to the nearist dealership and take them for a ride. Maybe I'm just being too picky. Any way I love this car. :p

·
Registered
521 Posts
could be the wrench from the jack thats moving around. try check that out.

·
Registered
668 Posts
could be the jack too... sometimes you have to tighten it in it's holder so that it's snug.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope this is something that is floating in liquid! At least that is what it sounds like; but thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Hmm..... have you had any issues with the fuel guage not reading correctly? Might indicate that it's not properly attached inside the gas tank...

That's all I can think of if you're convinced it's something in liquid.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know what; I'm just going to ignore it for now; after all I've got 6 years to get it fixed under the extended warrenty! :p

·
Registered
521 Posts
if it is liquid, could it be the intercooler sprayer water?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a good idea but I already thought of that, and it's not the liquid that is making the clunk sound but its like a hunk of wood hitting the side of a container with liquid in it. The mystery continues.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey Norseman, I'm getting clunking now too! It's weird cause it's only happening now after i changed to my snow tires! (we've been getting quite a bit of snow lately and a lot of wet weather, but I don't know if this is contributing to the noise) Anyway the noise occurs when i'm moving really slow. Most of the time if i'm going over a speed bump, or cruising in neutral before i stop, i hear it. It sounds like it could be the rear diff, or maybe the CV joint or something. it's a constant "clunking" sound! Some instances I can even feel the "clunking"....sorry, i didn't want to start a new topic cause i thought this was a similar problem!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank god I'm not the only one; I thought I was going crazy! I still think it is a float in the gas tank I'm not sure how the fuel meter works but it probably has a float involved I've never looked inside a gas tank before so I don't really know. Maybe if enough of us have this problem we can get Subaru's attention and they can look into it for us. It doesn't affect the performance of the car in any way but when you pay $35,000.00 plus for a car it just ticks one off

1 - 20 of 70 Posts