IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm a freakin' huge idiot. I went out looking for a joy ride yesterday hoping to find some cool dirt roads to do some novice rallying. I found one, it was ok. Then I wound up on a flat gravel area and just thought that I "had" to do some donuts. It was cool, my friend got a cool video of it outside too. But I washed off all of the dust later, and guess what...........paint chips galor!!! Mostly on the back passenger side, and my back wheels are chipped really bad too. So.....anyone have any recommendations? Should I just have the whole passenger back side repainted or just a lot of touch-up jobs? Like the fiberglass is dented too. I hate life!!!! And can I just have the wheels repainted? Go to a dealer or another professional? Please help me out here, it really sucks. Thanks for any help I can get.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Go back in time and get a clear film rock guard applied to the whole car like I did.

Then don't go tearing through gravel the way beater pickups do. :wink:

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
** Jan 3, 2004 ** STi / EVO Meet - (pictures on page 5)

Yeah, thanks for the tip. I'll get right to that. How much does it cost for one of those clear film protection things anyway. Might be a good investment for my idiot self. :lol:

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
thanks

Well. . . I had the whole car done (entire front, part of the hood, side skirts, lower doors, leading edges of the scoop and wing, a-pillars, part of the roof, sides of the rear bumper, rearview mirrors, headlights) for around $850 cash. Most places I think charge in the neighborhood of $300-400 for the entire front. . . and start going up from there once you want more of the body panels protected.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Does anyone make a FULL kit that literally covers 100% of the paint surface?

It would be kinda cool to be able to replace the clear cover every couple of years.... like getting a brand new paint job.

M

·
0 Posts
RCrown2: How deep are the paint chips/scratches? It is quite possible you can just get a rubbing compound and a buffer and take those out yourself. I had to do that after hitting a cone in the last autocross i was in, it put a few scratches on the rear door.

PS: gravel is bad on paint, mmmkay? :D You may want to invest in some mudflaps before you try that again, hehe.

·
Registered
385 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
Say, did you guys also know that the stock tires don't do well on snow and ice????

Sorry, couldn't help it. :p

:lol: :oops: :lol: I am still trying to figure out what fiberglass he is talking about and how it got dented. As far as I know fiberglass just breaks and wouldn't dent. Only fiberglass we have on the STi is the wing too. :roll:

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The paint chips aren't too deep. I don't know if i'd be able to buff them out or anything though, but worth a try. yeah, i should've know this would result, but I thing the fun factor in my brain outweighed my smart thinking process, until it was too late that is. I am looking a mudflaps, I just need to sell my truck before I can buy any. sorry, don't know why i said fiberglass, my mind isn't in its right place. It's not really a dent either, just like the rock dug into the side of the back bumper. Thanks for the prices, that will definitely be the next thing, along with mudflaps. I definitely wasn't able to hold back flames, that wasn't a good result of anything either, but that's another story. Oh well, thanks for the tips and making fun of me. :D :lol: Peace

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sorry to say but even with mud flaps you still would have damage doing donuts on a gravel road. Hope you get things fixed soon.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
RCrown2 said:
Oh well, thanks for the tips and making fun of me. :D :lol: Peace
At least you are a good sport, and you know it's all meant in fun. You knew when you posted people were going to make jokes about it. No harm, no foul.

Hope you get your chips and dents fixed. And please do post that video!! :D

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your Input Needed: Optimal Alignment Specs?

Ok guys, it is on my friends camera. I'm not sure how to transfer it to digital though. But I am going to go and have a tape made for me, maybe they will put it on disc too? But once I get that done, if I can figure out how, I will definitely post the video. Don't let me get your hopes up, I'm still learning what all I can do. Yeah, I was just waiting for the jokes to come pouring in, I think all of my friends already made me immune to anything else. :oops: oh well, i'll keep everyone updated. peace!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am just going to strip the paint on mine and spray it with a thin coat of Line-X. They use this stuff to make buildings more bomb resistant and to make truck bed liners. Then I can do donuts all day long.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts