IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys Im sure all of you , ok well most of you watched Gone In 60 seconds...well do you remeber the scene about the switch blade keys? Ok well im wondering if we can somewhat do that with our keys. My fiance just picked up an 03 jetta, and her car came with that key. Now im wondering if we can take that key and cut our pattern on that and if so can we also re-program the key fob to lock and unlock our cars as well???

Any info would be greatly apperciated..

Thanks
Amir

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
As long as the STi doesn't use an electronic engine disabler chip, which I don't think it does because you can get replacement STi keys off the internet, you should be able to get a key cut with the same pattern. BUT the side grooves must line up. If you can fit her key into your STi's ignition, than you should be able to get a blank for her kind of car cut for yours.

As for programming the remote - almost definately not with a stock one. You could do a custom job if you were really good with PCB circuitry, etc, but other than that, 99.9999% chance that it's impossible without modding the remote. They're pretty picky.

·
Registered
586 Posts
:eek: The stock remote is about the last thing I would ever try to modify on a car.

One of the biggest obstacles is that the remote doesn't just send a signal unique to your car, it sends a different signal every time you push the button. I know in my Saturn, if my remote quits working all the time, I have to resynchronize the remote with the receiver in the car. I put my key in the ignition and push this button and that button and the remote downloads a bunch of new signals it can send to unlock/lock the car. Getting all that to work on your own?, doesn't sound like a good time to me.

Just put two keys and remotes on the same keyring, MacGyver. ;)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahahahha lol Thanks for your guy's replys, The reason why i asked is becasue it would be awsome to have a switch blade key ya know...I dunno Ill have to dig around and see what i can do with this. It sounds interesting ya know.

BTW MacGyver is an awsome show too bad they dont air it anymore, i used to watch that at 7pm on mondays, ah well that and the Ateam! ahahah Those were the shows

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
So much work for so little impact. . . .

Just use your Ti key that looks like a rallycar switch. Much easier. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
MacGyver is the best show ever. Used to watch that religiously. It actually still is on. Saturdays 1PM EST on TVLAND. Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awsome!!!!! thanks wannasti!!! In reguards to Yukonart, yea i know its a cool looken key and all, then again i love that switch blade action! =)

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's Here It's Here! [s/s]

hey fastass,
didn't robert(staticx13) say he had access to a cnc mill? couldn't he mill a cool aluminum or ti(!) switchblade body to hold the key? let's design something, and see if it can be made. actually, i know a guy with a mill, and i have a friend with a jetta, i'll look at her key thing, make a drawing, and show it to my buddy w/ the mill!

T

·
0 Posts
I have a buddy that makes custom switch blade keys. All he needs is a key and fits it to a switch blade case. I'll look him up when he gets online and ask for pictures.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dude now were talken!!!! that would be hella awsome!!! ill try to pm robert and see, otherwise if you guys know anyone that would be sweet too!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol cool take ur time!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats cool! lol dont we all computers are smarter then us lol!

See now im curious if it can be done to a VW key, and then getting the transponder to be prgrammed with ours?

How much can he do it for?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Hmmm... I don't see the point of that. I love the look of the STi key and it is boderline being too big. I would not want anything bigger than the STi key hanging on a key chain. Plus I don't know about having that thing sticking out of the side of my steering column while driving.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it aint all that bad, the key would basically be the key chain lol! Its pretty sweet, hey if you meet up for the car show ill show ya what i mean =)

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you're going with a knife based design, consider this knife,
Columbia River Knife Works' KISS.

Click the picture for more info, Macgyver. ;)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ahahhaha no no no , i wanted to incorporate the sti key into like a key fob that ie. VW, BMW, mercedez Benz, things like that, not a knife with a key on it.....last thing i need to do is set airport alarms off considering Im brown and everything.! =) I can see it now BULLETiN:::"there has been a brown man seen in the airport with a swtichblade key please confiscate it and catch him alive or dead":: ahaha

T

·
0 Posts
Prices for the key switchblade would be in the area of 30 bucks. This is give or take and depends on wether the key is made available or not. So 30 bucks and open to discussion. He's only made a handfull of them so far so there's no bulk buying on his part.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts