IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get to try out Kartboy's "prototype" 6MT shifter bushings! I honestly dont know why Im getting them, but for $20 I thought I'd try out a new product and let you guys know how it works out :) Im hoping it'll make shifting faster/easier and this way I dont have to worry about it later on (bushing wearing out). :) For those who had it with their WRX, what did it improve?

Robert~

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had the Kartboy shifter and bushings on my RS... It tightened up the shifting considerably, and I didn't end up missing shifts as often because of the slop in the stock shifter. It was a lot more focused, and made the shift pattern more blatant in the way it felt. I thought it was a good mod for the RS / WRX. It very well might be good for the STi, too. It would be nice to have the shifter just a little tighter and more precise.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya I figured I'd try it out first for everyone, but for $20, shoot whats better then easier more precise shifting??

well drevyl you had the full kit... i'd figure a full SS kit would help , but what about just the bushings on the stock shifter. Hopefully it will do something.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'd like to know how the difference feels as well. I missed the 4th gear at VIR and put it into 2nd (ooops!), the rear end lifted crazy 3 times before settling. I am still amazed how the transmission held up :) I was thinking of putting a short-shifter with more precise feel. These bushing may help too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The bushings are supposed to do something negative too.....

I think someone said they cause excess vibration.... or something.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've not noticed anything negative with Tom's bushings. I live close to Kartboy and my STi was used to take the measurements for the new 6MT bushings (in fact I got to drive Tom's EVO for a week :D ) So I've been driving with the 'prototype prototypes' for a while. They have definitely reduced the amount of 'slop' when rowing through the gears. Selection now is a little more positive too. I have not noticed any increase in vibration. I understand they are not quite as easy to fit on the STi as they are on the WRX but still 'doable'. Let us know what you think!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Re: Correct STI filter..

Any word on a possible STi short-shifter from Kartboy? There's nothing on his site.

I've got the shifter and bushings on my RS, and they're a necessary mod, in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ZenBoy said:
Any word on a possible STi short-shifter from Kartboy? There's nothing on his site.

I've got the shifter and bushings on my RS, and they're a necessary mod, in my opinion.
Tom said not to expect a SS for the 6MT. He said it was too complicated and results would have been minimal. Thats why Im testing out only the bushings themselves. I will let you all know how it works out when I get them. Probably wait and have a big mod day when I get my springs and sways in as well.

Robert~

·
Registered
271 Posts
We recently installed Kartboy's prototype bushing on the Project STI vehicle along with the STI short shifter and STI Group N Transmission Mount. One thing we can tell you is that the installation is NOT easy if you are doing it yourself, but the results can be worth it. While we cannot say what sort of results you can expect with just the bushing, the installation of this combination of parts improves both shifter feel and shifting in every gear. The shifter is already short to begin with, but the actual shifter sits high and does not feel as firm as it could be. With those parts installed, the shifter feels stronger, more rigid, and tighter, giving the driver more confidence about shifting his or her car harder and faster when it counts most.

Stay tuned for more since Jan 9 is the day that all of Phase 1's mods are to be completed.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Project_STI said:
We recently installed Kartboy's prototype bushing on the Project STI vehicle along with the STI short shifter and STI Group N Transmission Mount.
Waaaaaaiiiit. So there is a short shifter for the 6MT?

When can we expect it to be on the market, and what's involved in the install? I like to think I've been wrenching on cars long enough to handle it, but I'd hate for my eyes to be bigger than my toolbox....

·
Registered
271 Posts
We obtained a short shifter for the 6MT made by STI. If you do some searching, you should be able to locate someone that can import it for you. Since the STI is the first six speed transmission the US has seen from Subaru, few if any vendors stock it. Plus, the stock unit is already short to begin with, so many will discourage you from buying it, and with the YEN as high as it is against the dollar, most people cannot justify the expenditure for what they might consider a minimal performance difference; which is an opinion that we would argue is unsupported by our personal experience with such a modification.

We do recommend the transmission mount upgrade and the kartboy prototype bushing (if you can get one) if you decide to do this modification. Moreover, we STRONGLY recommend performing these modifications at the same time AND on a car lift!!! We cannot emphasize that enough.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Since there are some zoning issues with putting a lift in my garage, I think I'll stick with jacks and jack stands. :wink:

I agree that a short shifter offers a performance boost. IMHO, the existing 6MT shifter is a reasonably short throw, but far too tall for my liking. After using a Kartboy shifter in my 2.5RS for several years now, driving the STi feels like I'm rowing the car down the street!

I'll see what I can do to find an STi shifter, then. Just out of curiosity, where did you get yours through, for the Project STi?

Once Kartboy has his shifter bushing on the market, I'll get that and the tranny mount upgrade - speaking of which, who sells the tranny mount upgrades?

·
Registered
586 Posts
ZenBoy said:
Since there are some zoning issues with putting a lift in my garage, I think I'll stick with jacks and jack stands. :wink:
:eek: What sort of issues? My dad is the chairman of the local BZA (Board of Zoning Appeals), I'll have to ask him about that next time I'm home. 8)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Contact Dave at Rallispec and tell him that Kevin from California told you to contact him. He has the STI Group N transmission mount for the 6MT and the STI branded short shifter.

Put those jack stands up really high because you will be on your back and having more room for your arms should help.

We also have the JDM shift knob coming in on the 6th, so we can post pics after the 9th.

·
Registered
694 Posts
M said:
ZenBoy said:
:eek: What sort of issues? My dad is the chairman of the local BZA (Board of Zoning Appeals), I'll have to ask him about that next time I'm home. 8)
Uhm, last time I checked, it was "Something something, blah blah blah, digging more than X number of feet, yadda yadda raise height of garage, mumble city limits, residential area mumble blah."

Yes that's a quote, and yes those are technical terms. :wink:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Project_STI said:
Contact Dave at Rallispec and tell him that Kevin from California told you to contact him. He has the STI Group N transmission mount for the 6MT and the STI branded short shifter.
Duuuuuude, you rock. :)

I'm actually already buying some other things from Dave, so I'll just add that to the list. Thanks for the contact!

Project_STI said:
Put those jack stands up really high because you will be on your back and having more room for your arms should help.
Oh, believe me, I'm familiar with "the position". I've taken naps that way, sadly enough, on those all-night mechanical benders. What I need is a taller jack, so I don't have to lift the car in so many stages!

Project_STI said:
We also have the JDM shift knob coming in on the 6th, so we can post pics after the 9th.
I'll have to see the pics, but I like the factory shift knob. I've always been about low-key and fast, so the dress-up doesn't usually appeal to me unless there's a functional advantage. I am looking forward to seeing the Project STi, though.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: What STi Modifications?

Project_STI said:
We obtained a short shifter for the 6MT made by STI. If you do some searching, you should be able to locate someone that can import it for you.
O ok... I was about to say... tom said there wasnt going to be a kartboy 6mt short shifter...

Robert~

·
Registered
271 Posts
ZenBoy said:
Project_STI said:
I'll have to see the pics, but I like the factory shift knob. I've always been about low-key and fast, so the dress-up doesn't usually appeal to me unless there's a functional advantage. I am looking forward to seeing the Project STi, though.
The shift knob is a larger diameter so one may be able to argue that this could give a functional advantage in that you would have better control over the shifter. However, probably not $140 of functional advantage!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Project_STI said:
The shift knob is a larger diameter so one may be able to argue that this could give a functional advantage in that you would have better control over the shifter. However, probably not $140 of functional advantage!
Agreed. :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts