IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1501 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I figured it's about time I started a journal, as i've been on here for quite a while now. It'll help me remember what i've done to the car as well :) So I bought it November 2005 with 8 miles on it, broke it in for around 500 miles, then brought it out to it's first autox. Previous to this car I drove a DSP supra, GS Mini, and a ES MR2, all on race tires. Boy did the car not want to turn.......

Originally, the car was supposed to be my daily driver and remain stock, but after it's first autox, the mod bug bit me hard and I ended up building my car for the STU class. After 3 years in the class, local competition dwindled and it was time to look for a new class to run in. SM looked well populated.....

So just last year I started prepping my car for SM. There's a whoooooole bunch of things that can be done in this class, and I will be slowly building for the class as funds allow. So far, here's what I have done:

Engine Mods
- Built shortblock - Darton sleeves, copper o-rings, JE 100mm coated pistons, BC pro rods, ACL race bearings, Nitrided crank, Cosworth modified oilpump, ARP headstuds
- Built heads - GSC S1 268/266 cams, Cosworth +1mm SS intake/ Inconel exhaust valves, BC valvesprings/Ti retainers, PnP, Bowl blend
- Full-Race twinscroll kit
- Garrett gtx3582r 1.06 twinscroll Ceramic coated
- Tial 38mm mv-s wastegates
- TIGWERKS ewg mufflers
- Tial Q BOV
- PTP turbo blanket
- Custom 4” intake
- Hallman Pro RX MBC
- Process West V mount intercooler/radiator
- Perrin lightweight crank pulley
- Aeromotive 340lph in tank fuel pump
- 2 Bosch 044 fuel pumps
- Turboxs surgetank
- Aeromotive adjustable fpr
- Aeromotive top feed fuel rails
- Mix of Fragola and Goodridge 910 lines/fittings
- TIC/Motive Autoworks composite TGV deletes
- Kstech 9.5mm Phenolic intake manifold spacers
- RC engineering 1600cc injectors
- Full 80mm Magnaflow Ti catback exhaust with Burns Stainless mufflers
- Crawford Performance air/oil separator
- Hydra Nemesis full standalone
- Tune by Mike Warfield(GST Motorsports) on E85 fuel
- Odyssey pc680 battery
- KillerB ultimate oil pickup, baffle plate/windage tray, oilpan
Suspension
- Custom valved JRZ RS Pro coilovers with Hypercoil springs/ Eibach tenders
- Ground Control camber plates front and rear
- Whiteline 27-29mm swaybar front and rear
- Kartboy rear endlinks
- TIC lateral link bushings
- TIC front and rear trailing arm bushings
- TIC front control arm rearward bushings
- MSI Trailing Arms
- Whiteline roll center adjusters
- Whiteline caster bushings
- Cusco cf rear strut tower bar
Driveline
- ACT sprung 6 puck clutch
- ACT streetlight flywheel
- Torque Solution motor/pitch stop mounts
- Group N transmission mount
- TIC race rear differential bushings
- TIC outrigger bushings
- TIC bodacious bushing bundle
- Kaaz Super Q 1.5 way rear LSD
- Rallispec rebuilt center diff
- ACPT cf driveshaft
Exterior
- Genuine V-limited front lip
- Karlton fender flares
- Passenger side foglight housing
- Ravspec cf upper roof spoiler
Interior
- Sparco Evo2 driver side seat
- Sparco Pro2000 passenger seat
- Buddyclub super low down seat rail(driver)
- Wedge engineering/Sparco rails/sliders with aluminum sidemounts(passenger)
- Innovate Motorsports LC-1 wideband with XD-16 gauge
- Defi BF boost and oil pressure gauges with controller
- ATI gauge pod
- Rear seat removed
- Personal Neo Grinta 330mm steering wheel
- Work Bell/Splash hub
- NRG quick release
Wheels/Brakes
- AME TM-02 18x11 +10 with Yokohama Neova AD08 285/30/18 tires
- SSR competition type c-rs 18x10.5 +25 with Hoosier A6 285/30/18 tires
- Girodisc 2 piece rotors front and rear
- Hawk HP+ pads front and rear

A lot of the parts carried over from my days in STU(coilovers, etc). The main changes i've done for SM is the motor stuff. Tons of fun, but it's taken a while to get used to the power, especially with the E85 gas. SM is definitely a class that i'll be in for a while, unless I get ambitious and move to XP lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Karlton's 06 SGM STI - SM Autox Build! E85+305/30/18=Win!

Here's a pic from my STU days. I think this was at the San Diego national tour..

There's also some more pics from my STU days on T3h Clap's wheel blog: “Streetable” the STU STi t3h_Clap's Wheel33tist Blog

Oh my car will be at the San Jose autoshow Jan 7th-10th at the SCCA booth if anyone is local and wants to come say hi :)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

glad you made a journal, subscribed, awesome car :tup: Thanks for showing me how to run 18x10 DPTs ;)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

i think it's time for round two!

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts

Another one that appears to be modified the correct way. Subscribed

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks guys! Here's a link to my youtube channel too: YouTube - xtremeyolks's Channel . I'll have some better pics of the car soon. As for the rear bar, I use the big one and a cusco 22-24 and am not sure which one i'm gonna stick with. At first I used the small one with 800lb rear springs, but was getting some crazy hopping coming out of corners( here's my thread on nasioc about it Bouncing coming out of corners - NASIOC), so I switched to softer springs and lowered the rear 1/2" so I put on the bigger bar so the car would still turn haha. Seems to be working well so far but there's a few other things I still need to tinker with :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

The journal I've been searching for has finally come about.. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts

Finally Karlton!! It's nice to see you finally have a journal too. I got my car sorted out btw. :) it ended up being te ecu going into failsafe mode from bad gas or possibly drivig it in the rain (no snorkus). A new tank of gas and a reset and I have boost back. :)

only like 2 more weeks until your season starts. Let me know if u need help with anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts

awesome sti and love the action shot! I saw you post that it wouldnt wanna turn the first time you autoxd it LOL so tell me with more seat time/mods is it easier to handle on those tight autox courses and are you competitive as far as placing/standings?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well previous to this car I was driving a street prepared car with stiff suspension, hoosier r comps etc so I was probably overdriving my stock STI on street tires lol. But I hate understeer and would rather have an oversteering monster than an understeering pig as it's easier for me to control. So with all the mods i've done it is now very neutral to a bit tail happy. But I never have to worry about understeer :) It's taken a couple years to get it to this point, now I just have to fine tune everything. Yes, regionally I have done very well, and we had a Divisional event here and beat Vic Sias and his yellow beast of an M3. Hopefully in about 2 years i'll take this car to nationals and see how I compare with the other big boys. Right now I'm concentrating on DSP with my dad's old supra. It's fun being the underdog :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So I destroyed my Kumhos at the last event I went to, but I was lucky enough to have a friend getting rid of some well used Hoosiers. Can't beat free lol.

now with 295/30/18 Hoosier A6

Grrrrrrr

Funny thing is the stack of 295 hoosiers is taller than the stack of 305 Kumhos, both unmounted and mounted on the same 18x10 Rota DPTs. I knew there was a reason I always ran Hoosiers in the past :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Man that thing is freaking hot!! I just did my second autoX and placed first in Novice so now I'm in SM. Problem though is that the local guys that are in SM are WAY faster than me haha. Gotta get some practice and perhaps a little more power under da hood :) We need more pics of your car though! Engine bay ones :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Didn't know you're so quick :D that's awesome!

as usual, car looks GREAT :)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

Do you have any close-up pics of your front and rear fenders?

I'm very curious to see the fitment of the 18x10 Rota DPT. I'm running 17x10 5Zigen FN01R-C's in BSP now, but have been thinking about switching to 18's and running 285's or higher. (running 275/40 V710's now)

Seems like the DPT route is definitely an affordable way to go...what offset are those, any spacers?

Are you willing to disclose your rates? :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Here's what I have on this cpu, lemme see if I have more on a flash drive:

The rear I pulled like crazy with a rubber mallet, but the fronts all I did was roll the lip. I actually didn't do anything to my front fenders for most of the season but a friend had a roller so I decided to just borrow it since he had it. Little more room never hurts :)

I have the DPT in a +35 offset, no spacers or anything required. GREAT wheel for the price. Hasn't cracked or bent lol and I beat the crap out of them, even with some rally style airtime at a certain site we run at.........

Springrates i'm currently running 700 front, 500 rear, but might adjust a little again this year, not sure yet :)

1 - 20 of 1501 Posts