IW STi Forum banner

K&N filter

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  CloNeGTS 
#1 ·
hey guys I just put in a K&N air filter (33-2232). i was very disapionted i didn't get my 20 hp increase. ahha no i did not expect much, and i didn't acutually feel any difference after the install. my concern is that its an oil filter. are oil filters bad or good. cause if its gonna be more harm then good i'm going to remove it. let me know what you guys think.

ben

#2 ·
you generally need oil filters, im not 100% on that though :). Although I dont know what K&N will do for your that a normal one wont. I do remember for the supra that TRD made some special oil filters special made to make sure they wouldnt lose pressure and had a special disc to collect materials, etc.... so i dun know, if you think it'll help then get it. otherwise i wouldnt worry, just get the stock 080 filter

Robert~

#3 ·
Your air filter is an oil filter? Am I missing something here? I assume you mean that the reusable drop-in AIR filter must be oiled up before use, but you're not talking about an actual OIL filter. The "080" part number refers to oil filters, I believe.

Just don't over-oil it. The story goes that your dealer may be able to deny warranty service if the excess oil messes up your MAF (or is is MAP?) sensor upstream of the filter.

#4 ·
I don't see the point to spending the money on filters like that for this car. If there is no power gain, why spend the money upfront for a filter you have to take out....clean....reoil....and worry about the MAFS. I'd rather have the OEM warranty-able paper filter that I can toss.

#9 ·
But that's just it. Flow more or not, the power isn't there. And then, come filter change time, instead of popping the box, tossing the old and dropping in the new, now you have to get the hose out, clean the filter, let it dry, spray it......and it cost you more money upfront for this lovely opportunity!

Con column is a lot longer than the pro column.

#10 ·
I have also heard that the K&N doesn't filter as well. This could allow little particles of dust into your turbo and eventually your engine causing damage in the long run. From a test I saw, the APEXi Power filter was the best (except the stock paper) for filtering. That test could have been biased though. Oh well, I will stick with the paper one for now anyways, atleast until they crack the ECU.

#11 ·
CloNeGTS said:
But that's just it. Flow more or not, the power isn't there. And then, come filter change time, instead of popping the box, tossing the old and dropping in the new, now you have to get the hose out, clean the filter, let it dry, spray it......and it cost you more money upfront for this lovely opportunity!

Con column is a lot longer than the pro column.
Without engine management, there is no real power gain with any intake. If you live in an area where the filter gets dirty often (like every 7000 miles or so) it works out to be a lot cheaper to use the K&N. If you mind cleaning the filter, its not for you. The K&N filters particles just as well as the stock filter if not better.

#12 ·
ECU stolen!!!

Not true at all. I've seen several studies that contradict each of those comments you have made. Other than K&N saying so, what studies show better filtration than OEM?

I don't mind cleaning a filter for a power gain. I mind spending money and creating more work for myself for no reason though.

#14 ·
1 lap of Pacific Raceway following an STI

CloNeGTS said:
Not true at all. I've seen several studies that contradict each of those comments you have made. Other than K&N saying so, what studies show better filtration than OEM?

I don't mind cleaning a filter for a power gain. I mind spending money and creating more work for myself for no reason though.
Show me the studies. An intake alone on a forced induction motor is not going to produce significant power gains. It may allow the turbo to spool faster.....producing some boot pressure earlier in the power band (couple hundred RPMs).....but how much of a performance gain can you expect from nothing more than slightly greater airflow without more fuel or timing advance or MBC. Respectable tuners (like Vishu for example) have reported little to no gains from just an intake on the STi. Also: Common sense would suggest that intakes with the cone-type filter are sucking hot air from under the hood, which I do not consider to be desirable. Scoobysport UK techs claim the stock airbox on the STi is good for 400HP. (read that in a post by a scoobysport tech in a different forum) So, the K&N seems to be the best flowing filter if you're keeping the stock airbox. (at least for now)
The K&N filter used in the test posted in this thread is not the one I'm using......so, that's out the window. That's a cone-type filtercharger. The one I have replaces the stock filter in the airbox. Its the same type that's been used in stock airboxes for quite a number of years with great results. Besides, we have no way of knowing the validity or potential bias of that test.

#15 ·
Do what you want, it is your engine. I try to take in all information in order to make the best decision. I see your point though, I had a K&N panel filter in my Accord. Unless you do the test yourself, you will never know about the bias. Good luck on the decision.

#16 ·
Search for posts by a guy named Guru. He is running a Blitz SUS intake and has some nice gains from it using just a boost controller. That shows power IS available to FI cars without ECU work. That being said, back to the original question here...the K&N. A panel filter alone won't get you anything on our cars. Drop in vs. full intake change....difference.

Why would the shape of the filter make any difference? Instead of that smaller area filter allowing that much dirt in, you're pulling over a larger surface area. Same media, oil...everything else. That isn't the only study I've seen with those kind of results either...but another test won't seem to change your mind. I'll remain skeptical. gforced said it...unless it's your own test/dyno/whatever, you never know the intent behind it. If I wanted to show a power loss with a filter, I could rig it.....and of course vice versa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.