IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I would not use K&N as people with turbocharged cars have had the oil get on and mess up the MAF.. I would recommend a different brand.

Robert~

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah - I finally got him!!!

The K&N drop in will be fine in the Sti. Remove the resonator and then you will have a free flowing intake. As for the oil disrupting the air flow meter, I would not over oil it after cleaning the filter, but if your MAF get dirty to the point it has bad readings, you might be able to use brake cleaner to clean it up. Brake cleaner leaves to residue on the MAF.

·
Registered
154 Posts
New Order

I have the STi drop in filter. Got it for $60 online. I feel that the stock intake is pretty good, even with the resonator still in. I did, however, remove the upper, thick weather strip on the leading edge of the hood. That giant air sucker needs cool, fresh air. With that still in place, it struggles a bit...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
snead_c said:
My MAF went out on a 2000 jetta and the dealer blamed my use of a K& N...I'd never oiled it...
Ya exactly... I've heard similar stories. For FI vehicles, dont use K&N. I would recommend perrin/blitz/etc for alternatives.

Robert~

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah ... I've reading stories about folks overoiling their K&Ns finally to have their MAF's coated with oil... :-?

Prolly this is the way to go...

But it sells for $79 in www.spt.subaru.com ... I've seen places in which it sells for $49 or somet'n like that...

·
Registered
22 Posts
My MAF went out on a 2000 jetta and the dealer blamed my use of a K& N...I'd never oiled it...
as a VW owner and somebody kinda heavy into the car scene, VW dealers tend to be on record for passing blame. Remember how long it took them to admit coilpack problems (among other things).

·
Registered
5 Posts
V-limited STi shift knob!!! Where do you order it from??!!!

JoshmkII said:
as a VW owner and somebody kinda heavy into the car scene, VW dealers tend to be on record for passing blame. Remember how long it took them to admit coilpack problems (among other things).
I've have fixed over 15+ VAG 1.8T and 2.7 Bi-turbo cars now with filter oil & dirt contaminated MAF's due oiled K&N and similar oiled filters (for example, Green etc). It IS the same if it's factory oiled filter or not! :evil:

Get STI factory filter!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just recieved the Hyperflow short ram intake w/ K&N filter (not installed yet), but I had the K&N FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit) on my 98 Eclipse GS-T and had no problems with the intake at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
K&N has been around for years. They make a high quality product and have no problems with MAF sensors. The dealer claims that is does due to the fact that they never want to admit they were wrong. I hve had several dealers blame all sorts of things on K&N filters and it has never been the problem. Thye simply don't ruin anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
roadrnr37 said:
K&N has been around for years. They make a high quality product and have no problems with MAF sensors. The dealer claims that is does due to the fact that they never want to admit they were wrong. I hve had several dealers blame all sorts of things on K&N filters and it has never been the problem. Thye simply don't ruin anything.
... and you fixed how many cars with MAF & K&N (and similar) problems? I'm not a dealer btw. Bosch MAF sensors are very sensitive to filter oil & dirt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hvae fixed 100's of cars... most of the time, when you try and get the dealer to correct the problme under warranty.. thoy would say that the K&N was the fault...although this never proves to be the case.. we tested one dealer on this... we told them we ahd installed a k&N and that we were ahving problems.. they blamed the k&n. However we never installed it. Dealer will weasle there wy out of anything they can. I have used k&n in about 40 or so cars of my onw or friends of mine and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
malinen said:
JoshmkII said:
I've have fixed over 15+ VAG 1.8T and 2.7 Bi-turbo cars now with filter oil & dirt contaminated MAF's due oiled K&N and similar oiled filters (for example, Green etc). It IS the same if it's factory oiled filter or not! :evil:

Get STI factory filter!
Although I would point out that the BOSCH 2.7L MAFs are total crap and fail no matter what. Usually about every 30k miles if you are lucky. Audi just issued a recall or was it some sort of extension of the warranty - can't remember.

But I agree that, in general, a oiled filter isn't that great of an idea with a hot-wire MAF.

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
NoSoup4U said:
I just recieved the Hyperflow short ram intake w/ K&N filter (not installed yet), but I had the K&N FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit) on my 98 Eclipse GS-T and had no problems with the intake at all.
If I'm not mistaken, the GS-T used/uses a Vortex type MAF, not a hot-wire like the EJ257. Perhpas that explains why it worked so well - less of a chance of contamination. Just a guess.

-st

·
Registered
176 Posts
The MAF snesor being coated with oil is not a big deal.. Just go in there with a Qtip with a very dilute alcohol solution (like 20%alcohol and the rest H20) and swab away.

I've read a couple of experiments where they found that the usage of K&N filters and foam filters is corelated to premature engine wear. They do not filter particles as well as paper.

So, I'd be weary of jumping on the bandwagon. Is the extra 5hp worth doubling the wear rate of your engine? Minor pits and scratches on cylander walls are the negative effect. I've read about 2-3 reports by people proving that cotton and foam do not filter as well as paper. Many people use the Blitz SUS, which I find very hard to believe that it will filter dust particles with a steel mesh. There's also that old air filter test where the SUS let in the most amount of dirt, but gave the best hp gains.

I have a Perrin foam filter in mine. I'm probably going to be taking it out soon since the HP difference is not work the risk to me. If I already have 25whp from a turboback and then get ~40whp on top of that when I get engine mgmt., I'm not going to stress over a 2-5whp mod. I'll either sell it or just put it in before I go to the track.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You don't have to wonder whether your air filter is working or not. When I had the ITG foam filter in my '02 wagon, I had my oil analyzed periodically to check for unusual wear. Oil analysis is like a blood test for your engine. If the air filter isn't doing its job, the level of silicon in the oil will be raised. I never had elevated silicon in my samples.

BTW, I use and recommend Blackstone Labs:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts