IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if a K&N filter does anything for a STi.

Anyone have first hand experience they can share? What part number would I be looking for???

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Dunno, I haven't heard much. I wouldn't expect exhaust like power gains....if you do it, do it more for the reusability of the filter than power.

I think I'll stick with the stock paper filters as long as the air box is in.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
You mean the filter that fits into the stock box? Not an intake system, right? I got one, and I didn't notice any difference, esp in power (they claim only 1-2 hp gain anyway). I think there is a slight slight gain in fuel economy but it's difficult to say. Just like to have it because of the reusability like CloNe says.

·
Registered
32 Posts
apparently, the k&n filter caused some problems in my current car and they refused to change the MAF under warranty. So if you ever get a check engine light, take the k&n out and put the stock one back in. I'm not sure how subaru will react to this, but my current car is an infiniti.

·
Registered
347 Posts
For those in the know: is there any truth to the rumors that K&N's allow larger particles to pass, therefore leading to an increased chance of turbo failure? I am sure that dirtier air can lead to big-time turbo problems, but I'm not sure about the K&N rumors. Some people swear it's true, others swear it's not...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not all that of a big fan of CAI's... In fact isn't the air preassure altered with a CAI and therefore it may throw off the readings coming from the MAF sensor? I as well had a failed MAF sensor and I moved back to stock air box...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Funny how someone mentioned a power loss on a wrx, because I have seen dyno numbers on a Honda RC-51 motorcycle and it looses about 1-2 hp over the whole power band. I know that the airbox of a motorcycle with ram air is slightly different but still.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
what about just a cone filter? Also what are you all talking about? A drop in filter? or the actual CAI made by K&N? or a cone filter or what? Thanks!

Robert~

·
Registered
526 Posts
crazytrain said:
For those in the know: is there any truth to the rumors that K&N's allow larger particles to pass, therefore leading to an increased chance of turbo failure? I am sure that dirtier air can lead to big-time turbo problems, but I'm not sure about the K&N rumors. Some people swear it's true, others swear it's not...
I don't like K&N filters for this reason. I used one in my Tacoma and it didn't do much to keep dust from getting in the engine. I found the Amsoil line of foam filters to filter the best. They are quite gooey though.

I once held my K&N filter up to the light and noticed I could see alot of light shining through. I decided this wasn't good and was probably why I saw so much dust behind the filter.

·
Registered
986 Posts
yup. Shiv really suggested to stay away from K&N on the WRX. The car lost some power and also the MAF got a bit oily from the K&N oil. I also have heard that if you drive the car into the dealer shop and you have a bad MAF (from the K&N oil) you may get a hard time from the folks.

Personally I had my car (a WRX) with a K&N filter and I felt no difference whatsoever. I took it off and got rid of it and stuck with the OEM filters. At least on the WRX not until you went into bigger mods you needed better air flow. But then the STi could be a day and night difference here.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
hmmm anyone know of a good filter other then blitz, because 180$ and whatnot is a lot to spend on a filter... Also do you have to buy a kit for the cone filters (becaues it seems like the maf sensor is made into the box). Thanks!

Robert~

·
Registered
541 Posts
staticx313 said:
hmmm anyone know of a good filter other then blitz, because 180$ and whatnot is a lot to spend on a filter...
$180 doesn't seem like the price for just a filter. That's probably the entire intake kit, replacing the stock airbox and plumbing all the way to the throttle body.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you are talking about losing power, don't go with a modified intake at this time. Without some kind of boost/fuel control, short rams are lossing power. Many people have said this. Guru claims to have nice power gains, but he has boost control and has mentioned the need for a fuel controller.

I don't see the purpose to putting a K&N in. The stock filters work great, go along with the warranty, and instead of a messy oily filter, you just toss and replace.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Actually the intakes make a HUGE difference on the STi. Coupled with a downpipe it increases flow a great deal. DOn't bother with a drop in, go for a nice short ram. Blizt SUS is what I use but if you're on a budget go for the Turbo XS short ram.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Why is everyone taking their intakes off then? You haven't addressed your boost control or any of the other intensive mods you've done. By intensive, I mean a bunch of parts all at once. A large majority of owners won't be doing intake/TBE/BC all at the same time as you did.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
if you did all those mods at the same time, would you even notice the 8hp loss or any kind of loss? I mean a 30+hp gain will definitely cover up some kind of loss... but if you got good results Im going to be positive and hope I will too when mine comes in.

Robert~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts