IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the msg I got:

TO: GREG,

Thank you for your interest in K&N products. You have registered to receive notification about products for your vehicle. This email was sent automatically to inform you of available products that fit this application. Listed below are the current K&N products for a 2004 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 2.5L. We believe this is equivalent to your request for a 2004 SUBARU WRX STI 2.5L TURBO.

Year Engine Product Type Part Number Description Comment
2004 2.5L F4 F/I Air Filter 33-2232 Replacement Air Filter Wagon, inc. STI

More information about our complete line of products is available at www.knfilters.com.

We appreciate your feedback, and we use product requests like yours to help us determine what new products to develop in the future. We will notify you again if any additional products become available for your vehicle. Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Thank you for choosing K&N!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
It fits the STI, I got mine from subaruparts.com. No noticeable power difference, but I like being able to clean my filter instead of spending money on paper ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Hit the strip for the first time last Saturday...

They showed the Typhoon for the STi off in Modified Mag - 2 months ago. Isn't it just like a cold air intake and therefore a bad move?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
922 Posts
CAI have been shown to decrease performance because of the longer distance the air has to travel to the turbo and the fact that the air gets super-heated inside the turbo defeats the purpose. CAI are great for NA vehicles though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
gforced said:
CAI have been shown to decrease performance because of the longer distance the air has to travel to the turbo and the fact that the air gets super-heated inside the turbo defeats the purpose. CAI are great for NA vehicles though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Cold air intakes just make you run lean, correct? Giving the impression of more power, but in effect doing more harm than good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
922 Posts
Correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
Hupperware said:
Cold air intakes just make you run lean, correct? Giving the impression of more power, but in effect doing more harm than good.
No, not necessarily correct. A properly designed cold air intake will not make you run lean. The ones that make people run lean change the diameter of the pipe the MAF sits in and hence the reading that it sends to the ECM. If you maintain the same diameter pipe and don't have any crazy bends that will cause turbulence, it will not negatively affect fuel delivery. Whether it will actually help is a different story. I doubt it would.

-st
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
922 Posts
Sorry, what he said ^. I think that is why APS redesigned their CAI, but I have heard it said many times that on a turbo car, the shortest path that the air has to travel to the turbo is best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
Transporter_STi said:
What I posted was a drop in K&N filter.
My questions is: are they worth buying? if so why?
Hard to say. I haven't seen anyone test it vs. the stock paper filter. As an example, in my old car (A6 2.7T) the drop-in KN filter did NOT flow more than the stock paper.

-st
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Singletrack said:
Transporter_STi said:
What I posted was a drop in K&N filter.
My questions is: are they worth buying? if so why?
Hard to say. I haven't seen anyone test it vs. the stock paper filter. As an example, in my old car (A6 2.7T) the drop-in KN filter did NOT flow more than the stock paper.

-st
What about the STi filter vs. K&N?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Singletrack said:
Transporter_STi said:
What I posted was a drop in K&N filter.
My questions is: are they worth buying? if so why?
Hard to say. I haven't seen anyone test it vs. the stock paper filter. As an example, in my old car (A6 2.7T) the drop-in KN filter did NOT flow more than the stock paper.

-st
What about the STi filter vs. the K&N?
Which one?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top