IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car search (white STi)

Hey guys. Just wanted to write in my first post. New here in terms of signing up, but have been arround for about 6 months quietly reading everyone's posts when no one was watching... lol. Anyway, after considerable time thinking about it and pondering which way I should go I've decided that an STi is probably going to be my next car of choice. Only issue is I'll probably trade in my fiancé car for it which means she'll be driving the STi on a regular basis :roll: . With that being said I just wanted to do a really quick poll as to something that I haven't seen posted before. Here goes....

What is your income per year and what are your car payments/insurance payments per month.

Thanks to everyone who will participate in this. This will help me decided if I should invest in the car now or wait a little bit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You may have some trouble getting ppl to divulge their personal financial info. I'm also not sure how other ppl's situations will help you decide, especially since everyone's situation is different. I'm married w/ 1 child and 1 on the way. At present, I have 2 mortgage payments(til I sell my other home) along w/ 2 car payments. My situation is different from someone who is single, lives w/ parents and can spend the majority of their income on a car. You need to decide if your situation will allow it.
Not to mention, it's YOUR income/debt that will determine how much a bank will lend you, it's YOUR credit worthiness that will determine your interest rate on the loan that will affect your payment. It's YOUR location and prior driving history that will determine your insurance premium.
Here's a quick percentage that most lending institutions use to determine how much to lend you. Your total bills(not including insurance, utilities or phone bills) should not exceed 36-40% of your gross income. So total all your bills, plug in the new car payment and see where that leaves you.
Good luck and just make sure you don't go bankrupt for a car. It's not worth it....been there, done that!

·
Registered
72 Posts
i dont mind telling people my info. im 19, going to college ( which parents are paying for ) and i do still live at home, but i pay for the sti myself. 900 a month for everything, the car payment financing. I dont pay for insurance though. which is like 200 a month, though there are 4 cars insured and thats my prelude, my sti, my lil brothers IS300, and my parents rx330. hope that help somewhat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S.T.I FreeStyle

Well, it's nice for people to intelectually comment on my question. However, I did not mention in my post anywhere that I wanted to compare what my income was vs someone elses and base that on weather or not a bank will finance me on a load for the car nor did I mention that I was going to strectch miself out just to own one. However, what I wanted to know I guess is what class person one generally is that may or may not own this car. Basically the problem I am having is not being able to own this car, but rather with the idea of.... Is this car really worth getting at current income or should I just wait until something else comes out. I mean, I hate to say it, but if everything I am reading states the truth, then the STi will not have a strong top end performance. I have ridden in an STi and I can say that it does pull pretty good, but I have ridden in other cars that accelerate much better. I'm trying to approach this car purchase from multiple points. I have pretty much weight out the performance, technical, visual ones. I was just trying to financially justify it next.

Now, back to my original question... Let's not put down exact figgures on what you make let's just take a consensus on what everyone thinks would be the minimum one should make per year to consider this car. Again, this doesn't mean it has to be what you make... it can be more, it can be less... it's everyone's opinion. :)

Again, I appreciate everyone's input, but let's not shoot me down with payment calcuator links and such... I can afford it just fine... that wasn't my point behind the research. Peace.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sti_187 said:
but i pay for the sti myself. 900 a month for everything, the car payment financing.
sti_187... WOW... are you saying that your monthly payment is 900 for the STi. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing or anything and if this is your first car loan or major loan at your age I can kind of see it, but that's one hell of a payment. My figures came nothing close to that. That's more like a house payment than anything else. In any case if this is your monthly payment then based on that alone I can tell that you really wanted this car a whole lot. That's exactly what I was looking for for input. Thank for your openness man.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
JRSCCivic98 said:
Well, it's nice for people to intelectually comment on my question. However, I did not mention in my post anywhere that I wanted to compare what my income was vs someone elses and base that on weather or not a bank will finance me on a load for the car nor did I mention that I was going to strectch miself out just to own one. However, what I wanted to know I guess is what class person one generally is that may or may not own this car. Basically the problem I am having is not being able to own this car, but rather with the idea of.... Is this car really worth getting at current income or should I just wait until something else comes out. I mean, I hate to say it, but if everything I am reading states the truth, then the STi will not have a strong top end performance. I have ridden in an STi and I can say that it does pull pretty good, but I have ridden in other cars that accelerate much better. I'm trying to approach this car purchase from multiple points. I have pretty much weight out the performance, technical, visual ones. I was just trying to financially justify it next.

Now, back to my original question... Let's not put down exact figgures on what you make let's just take a consensus on what everyone thinks would be the minimum one should make per year to consider this car. Again, this doesn't mean it has to be what you make... it can be more, it can be less... it's everyone's opinion. :)

Again, I appreciate everyone's input, but let's not shoot me down with payment calcuator links and such... I can afford it just fine... that wasn't my point behind the research. Peace.

If this is what you're worried about than I don't think an STi is for you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
let's just take a consensus on what everyone thinks would be the minimum one should make per year to consider this car.[/quote said:
I would say 5K/year living at home with zero bills and $32,000 in cash.

But seriously, how much you make is really irrelavant. You should consider the bigger picture in terms of debt load, bills and discretionary income needs. Then figure out if you could comfortably afford a 30K car that guzzels 94 Octane like cheap beer.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't forget insurance.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
JRSCCivic98 said:
sti_187... WOW... are you saying that your monthly payment is 900 for the STi. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing or anything and if this is your first car loan or major loan at your age I can kind of see it, but that's one hell of a payment. My figures came nothing close to that. That's more like a house payment than anything else. In any case if this is your monthly payment then based on that alone I can tell that you really wanted this car a whole lot. That's exactly what I was looking for for input. Thank for your openness man.
$900/mo might seem like a lot to you, but you don't know anything about the amount of the loan, the term, or the rate. If he financed $30k for 36 months at 5% that would yield such a payment. Ideally you should maximize the monthly payment to reduce the term, lower financing charges, and obtain a lower rate.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You have to many variables here for anyone to answer your questions. You need to do a lot of pre-planning and see if this is something that will work for you. The amount you pay will depend strictly on how much you plan to finance and how long you plan to finance the car. Then you need to check with Insurance Companies and get a firm quote on what it would cost you for your area and your situation (age, previous traffic record, history credit rating, etc.) Also, don't forget the extra things (winter tires, floor mats, etc.) that you will want/need to purchase. When you have all this together, then you can decide if this will be workable for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slowride said:
$900/mo might seem like a lot to you, but you don't know anything about the amount of the loan, the term, or the rate. If he financed $30k for 36 months at 5% that would yield such a payment. Ideally you should maximize the monthly payment to reduce the term, lower financing charges, and obtain a lower rate.
Well it would be fine to pay that much if that was the term of the loan, but hell I can pay mid 500 dollar payments and drive a Jaguar on a lease. Sure it's a lease and you don't own it after 36 months, but the guy next to you isn't laughing at you because you're paying 900 a month for a Subaru. Again, not bashing the car, but let's face it.... Overall I don't simpathize with anyone buying a car and eathing Raman every day for the term of the loan just because they wanted 5% on their term. That's just silly... Then again that's not his case because from vehicular collection of the family there's not a shortcomming of money there. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input on this but I fear we're kind of looking at this incorrectly. Maybe we should just let it be, I dunno.

Let me as you guys that own this car this question.... And this only applies to people that have taken it to the track. If you don't launch the crap out of this car to get the time that's been publicized so much would it run a low 14 or better? Look at it from a perspective of what if it didn't have the AWD traction advantage off the line. I just want to make sure the investment is worth it. I wanted to just get a regular WRX and just COBB flash it, but I've ridden in a friend's and it didn't impress me that much. It was quicker then stock, but it's not all that. So based on those findings I figured that if I fork up another 5 to 6k worth of money up front for an STi I would get several things way cheaper then I would going aftermarket for them.

To kind of see where I'm comming... I also considered an 03 Cobra since it's highway pull was waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better then the AWD system and weight would allow on the STi, but the handling and technology just wasn't on par. I'd hate to spend 30k on a car and 3 months later wish I hadn't of done it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RenoSTi said:
You have to many variables here for anyone to answer your questions. You need to do a lot of pre-planning and see if this is something that will work for you. The amount you pay will depend strictly on how much you plan to finance and how long you plan to finance the car. Then you need to check with Insurance Companies and get a firm quote on what it would cost you for your area and your situation (age, previous traffic record, history credit rating, etc.) Also, don't forget the extra things (winter tires, floor mats, etc.) that you will want/need to purchase. When you have all this together, then you can decide if this will be workable for you. Good luck.
I live down south so winter tires don't really count. That and once I run throught the BFGs that come on it I'd change over to Pole Positions anyway (much better wet traction). Insurance is already covered... that's not really a problem. I haven't been looking into this for just a day guys... common!!! My original post idea was just to get an idea of where people that purchase this car are in terms of finances. I think someone above stated that one shouldn't buy a car that's worth more then 36-40% of your anual income. I find it very hard to belive everyone on this board that has an STi is making 80k or more per year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You misunderstood my comment. I said your total monthly bills....mortgage/rent, car payment(s), credit cards and loans(personal, student, etc.)....should not exceed 36-40% of you total monthly gross income.
Example....If you make $36,000/year. Your total monthly gross is $3000. Your total monthly debt should not exceed $1200.
And once again. It's going to be tough to determine if the car is right for you based on someone else's situation. If you want, you can tell me what your income is and how much debt you have and I can give you my opinion.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
JRSCCivic98 said:
To kind of see where I'm comming... I also considered an 03 Cobra since it's highway pull was waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better then the AWD system and weight would allow on the STi, but the handling and technology just wasn't on par. I'd hate to spend 30k on a car and 3 months later wish I hadn't of done it.
Why don't you quit dancing and tell us exactly what you're looking for in a car in terms of price and performance, and we'll tell you if we think the STi is a good fit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very simple questions - probably beaten to death, but +

Slowride said:
Why don't you quit dancing and tell us exactly what you're looking for in a car in terms of price and performance, and we'll tell you if we think the STi is a good fit.
Oki doki... Well, I want a car that's not too out there. I like the STi looks better then the Evo's. I have always wanted to get an Evo ever since I first layed eyes on a IV and V. However, since the 7's and 8's came out the looks and overall chassie design went down the toilet when Mitsu decided to go with the Cedia platform. I mean hell, they put Tommi out of pretty much every race in the first season it débuted and put his navigator in the hospital. Overall the car had changed so much to fit into the next level Rally class that it no longer appealed to me. So I started looking elseware. I like the WRX when it first came out and I was so happy since Subaru was the first to step up to bat on bringing over the car to this market. However, I didn't perticularly like the power output or the bugeye design. So with that said once the 04 models came out I started looking into that direction again. Since the 04's came out and way before that I knew the STi was comming and that was really what I was looking for since back then. In the past year I've researched both the STi and Evo extensively down to the nit pick shi* like the Evo having weather proof tar on the bottom of the car that never cures and gets all over you every time you get under it to work. With that said I also didn't want to get a car that I'd have to extensively mod to get it do run like I wanted it. My current car is loud enough with the 70mm exhaust on it, but it's fun as hell to drive both on the street and at SCCA. I just have kind of outgrown it. I'm 27 years old and I don't think I can go forever driving a Civic and implying that I'm 19. Hell I get enough of that age crap every time I go buy alcohol. Anyway, what I want in a car is one that handles really well (in the .9x range of the scale) has plenty of power on it that it won't need much for mods short of maybe a reflash, but certainly no exhaust mods since I'm getting tired of that. By fast I mean anywhare in the 13's stock. Hell, by today's standards even 13's are slow. :roll:

In any case my finances are ok I guess. I make 50k a year and have about 8k in credit debt now. I rent an apartment so I don't have a mortgage payment of any sort. My fiancé and I have been together a long time before getting engaged and don't want any kids, so that won't come up as a burden any time soon. I won't trade in my car because I'm kind of sentimentally attached to it. We won't go into details here, but let's just say we've been through quite a lot of shi* together. Live and learn I guess. Overall I'm looking at something that she can drive on a daily basis since I think the Civic might be a little uncomfortable to drive as a daily means and the fact that she wants to get rid of her POS. She also doesn't drive a whole lot of miles either going to work and after she gets home if we go anywhere I always pretty much drive 90% of the time. So getting the STi as a replacement vehicle for her would work just fine. She doesn't mind the car one bit. She likes it and since she's 31 she's plenty grown up and down to earth to keep it under wraps. Hell, I'm the one with the tickets not her... lol.

Anyway, enough ranting about it. Just let me know what you guys think. Again, I don't mean to piss anyone off on this board and I certainly didn't come on here to pass as an ass. So sorry if anyone has taken any of my comments as such. Sometimes I get a little defensive. :-? Overall I just don't want a car that I won't be happy with after the temptation wears off.

Laterz

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
JRSCCivic98 said:
Well, I want a car that's not too out there.
Looks are pretty subjective, but I'd have to say the STi is pretty "out there". Of course, the performance is "out there", too, so it can get away with it, in my opinion. You could always do a WRX trunk swap for a smaller wing, or remove the wing completely to tone it down some.

Anyway, what I want in a car is one that handles really well (in the .9x range of the scale) has plenty of power on it that it won't need much for mods short of maybe a reflash, but certainly no exhaust mods since I'm getting tired of that. By fast I mean anywhare in the 13's stock. Hell, by today's standards even 13's are slow. :roll:
The STi handles very well--better than the WRX--and it's got plenty of power in stock form, so I'd say it meets your needs there.

Overall I'm looking at something that she can drive on a daily basis since I think the Civic might be a little uncomfortable to drive as a daily means and the fact that she wants to get rid of her POS. She also doesn't drive a whole lot of miles either going to work and after she gets home if we go anywhere I always pretty much drive 90% of the time. So getting the STi as a replacement vehicle for her would work just fine. She doesn't mind the car one bit. She likes it and since she's 31 she's plenty grown up and down to earth to keep it under wraps. Hell, I'm the one with the tickets not her... lol.
Mine is my daily driver, and I'm very happy with it. If she's OK with it, too, it sounds like a good fit.

Anyway, enough ranting about it. Just let me know what you guys think. Again, I don't mean to piss anyone off on this board and I certainly didn't come on here to pass as an ass. So sorry if anyone has taken any of my comments as such. Sometimes I get a little defensive. :-? Overall I just don't want a car that I won't be happy with after the temptation wears off.
No problem. We're a pretty friendly bunch, here. From what I can tell, the STi should suit you both well. I don't have a handle on what it would take to ensure that you won't regret it down the road. Subaru makes a solid, practical vehicle, and, in the case of the STi, it happens to be a serious performer, too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slowride said:
I don't have a handle on what it would take to ensure that you won't regret it down the road. Subaru makes a solid, practical vehicle, and, in the case of the STi, it happens to be a serious performer, too.
Well, I know one thing. I don't want to be rolling or at crusing speed and when I drop it I don't want it to be slow. I know a guy in town that's got a WRX with quite a few addons and I was able to stay at constant acceleration with him from 35-95 (95 was the max we went). At takeoff from rolling start he gained about 2 carlengths on me but once we got going the distance stayed the same. (And yes, he was in it). I've seen videos of the STi racing an 03 Cobra on the highway (prolly 60+) and it seemed like quite an easy kill on the Cobra's part. I can't remember exactly if the Cobra was modded or not, but that almost ruined my thoughts of owning an STi. Now I know it's AWD and the top end won't be all that but still, it was pretty embarassing. I just have this weird gut feeling that the car isn't a 13sec car if you don't launch it really hard. Is this incorrect? Ah well, there's always an APS SR50 turbo upgrade if it's too slow right....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The Cobra is 2WD and 390 HP. I don't want to rehash the whole STi vs. Cobra thing, but they're different vehicles, and each has its own element. If you want "highway pull" and AWD traction and handling aren't important, by all means, go with the Cobra.

The STi is ready to run on any road, under any conditions (assuming you replace the summer-only tires with at least all-seasons): straight, curved, paved, gravel, dry, wet, snow...you name it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
tire pressure

the STi is the ultimate compromise. its has AWD, awesome in the snow!! it has 4 doors and a reasonably usable back seat. it has a decent size trunk. it has an amazing 0-60 time. smokes the 1/4 mile in the low 13's. there are tons of mods available for it and they'll be more coming. gets 25 mpg on the highway. tears up dirt roads as well as it does paved ones. its based on the impreza so body parts won't be that costly down the road. not to mention people have been getting them for under $30,000 now. you can buy what you like and you can think about it forever. the STI is flat out the best bang for the buck available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You seem a bit ambivalent about the car you want, but remember your dream car will still be sitting on the lot six months (or for that matter, six years) from now.

While you're thinking about it, why not calculate the maximum payment you want to carry and auto-deposit it monthly into a savings account. Throw in your down payment (if any) and sit back and relax. Forget about drawing much interest - the idea is to sequester the money while you decide on a car and, just as important, decide if your life style can support the payments without too much of a hit.

If you wait long enough, as I did, you'll walk into the dealer's and buy what you want for cash. Otherwise , you can use your savings to reduce your monthly payments. Even a month or two of savings is money you never thought you'd have - and if something really pressing comes up it's there for you.

You sure don't have to wait eight years like me, but you don't have to jump tomorrow either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts