IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading a LOT of that www.howstuffworks.com site. Its great and I understand a lot more. Of course, there isnt that much info on boxer engines there.

They said that 16 valve 4cyl engines have two cam shafts. So does this mean that our boxer engines (and V shaped) have 4 camshafts?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
the key is our engine is "DOHC", meaning the camshafts are over the cylinders, up in the heads. since we have two heads, we gotta have 4 shafts.

to digress...i believe you can have V (or maybe even flat) engines when the different sides of the engine share one shaft. in that case, the shaft is at the bottom of the V (down in the pointy part). (it's clearly not a DOHC.) those engines use pushrods, rising up parallel to the arms of the V, to activate rocker arms (up in the heads and above the cylinder) that in turn activate the valves. now i doubt if you could have 4valves/cyl with only one camshaft in this kind of configuation though; to little space to run all those pushrods and rockers.

kapeech? (sp?)

·
Registered
631 Posts
yep. That's about right.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. I saw a DOHC sticker on a vehicle one day and I figured it meant Direct OverHead Camshaft or something. I remember reading about those push rods as well! I may be one of the youngins here, but im learnin!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts