IW STi Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hated the fitment and amount of modification required to the fiberglass to make the Karlton flares fit properly so I trashed them and had them made of metal. Left and right rear fiberglass flares were different sizes and the door pieces stuck out much further than the flare. Only original pieces from the Karlton kit are the bumper pieces the rest is metal.

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link
Those wheels look extremely heavy. What is the actual weight of each rim without a tire?? My guess is at least 28 pounds.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yeah I did 18's for awhile until I realized how much torque I was losing using them. I wish they made a lightweight 18" wheel (less than 18 pounds) that is strong and within a budget. They just started making wheels out of carbon fiber but man are they spendy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do these cars handle with having wheels and tyres this wide on them. I'm just in the process of fitting 18x10.5 and 275 35 18s and wondering if it will still handle as nice as standard wheels.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
How do these cars handle with having wheels and tyres this wide on them. I'm just in the process of fitting 18x10.5 and 275 35 18s and wondering if it will still handle as nice as standard wheels.
Overall grip should be improved. Like I said in the PM - autocross boys have been using wider setups with great success.

·
Registered
10 Posts
didnt really have time lately to take photos but here is my 2002 JDM blobeye with her Karlton flares.

Wheels are Rays Gramlight 57DR 18x10.5 +22 with 15mm spacers
Tires are Federal 595 RSR 285/30ZR18

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even after reading the 200+ pages of the karlton thread and knowing this size tire had caused a lot of headache for people... I still bought them because of a "good deal" They have been a headache to say the least. Im sure many of you would say duhh. Here is summer 2017. 18x10.5 +17 315/30 Big plans and change to come this year!

Attachments

101 - 112 of 112 Posts