IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new thread possibly?

First off, you guys are the best, very informative. So this is why I'm coming to you guys. No one else would know better. I purchased my STi (Java black with gold rims). I've had it for less then a week, just breakin her in. Now, I have read threads where people mention that they launch their car and they screw up their second gear (from launching). My question is, if I am rolling at lets say 15 mph, and just floor the car, and shift into second around redline, am I putting the car in any harms way? A lot of people are telling me (not from this forum), you got an STi man, it's meant for that blah blah blah, but in my perspective I'm 19 years old and I just spent a heck of a lot of money and I really don't feel like breaking anything just yet. I'm just curious to know if that tranny can handle the torque/hp the car is putting out. Flame away if you feel it's necessary, but im a newbie :) I'm learning :)

Thanks a lot guys.

-Raza

·
Registered
347 Posts
once it's broken in, no problem, as long as...
you're smooth w/ your shifts. the rolling start is a lot less stressful than a standing start. just don't slam the shifter between gears.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
First off, break in the car properly before you get too carried away. Secondly, not sure whose 2nd gear is going kaput, but the vast majority of people here don't have 2nd gear problems. When the car is cold, it is harder to shift into 2nd, but you aren't going to race it when it is cold anyway... right?? :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
What they said.

Keep it under 4k rpm for the first 1k miles.

There is no reason to be shifting at redline. You are out of the power band at 7K. I would suggest shifting about 6k after break in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, all of you, thanks a lot. Some guy posted that after every 250 miles u could shift at 1000 rpms higher ? Like at 250 u can shift at 5k? and at 500 u can shift at 6?
I don't know if he was right or wrong or what.

Thanks again.

-Raza

Oh yeah! Ok, i just took it out for a drive on the LIE. I was cruising and pulled into a gas station to buy a soda. I noticed smoke coming out of the front of the car. Smelled like anti-freeze burning. After a little inspection i noticed anti-freeze in some spots of the car. Maybe whoever put it in was being a little messy? Is that what the smoke was probably from? The smoke wasn't thick, it disappeared like 2 seconds after i saw it. It doesn't smoke anymore now neither.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I do not know about the smoke issue.

However, there are two schools of thought with regard to how you should drive your car.

One school is drive your car like you stole it. Do not worry about breaking the motor in. It will break in fine with today's motor oil.

The other school says follow the car's directions. Stay under 4K until 1K miles. Then drive it like you stole it.

Also, you are bound to think about switching over to synthetic sometime in the future. My subaru mechanic said wait until 7K miles. Other STI drivers have changed their oil to synthetic much earlier. I will probably wait until 10K miles to be safe. The point of waiting, or so the theory goes, is to allow the pistons and rings a chance to seat in the cylinders.

Also, check your oil regularly, in the earlier part of the engine's life it seems to burn oil at different rates for different STI owners depending on how their engine was built, how far they drive the car, and how hard they drive the car. Good luck and enjoy.

Oh, last thing, check under the fenders on the springs to make sure your dealer completed the PDI or PPI properly. I had bags under mine. This caused a burning plastic smeel when I drove the car. You can simply rip them away from the spring/strut.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
STi flashlights and other stuff.

Hey, thanks for the advice. Yeah i checked underneat the car and I didn't find anything.

Can someone tell me what burning clutch smells like? Just so I can be aware, I haven't smelled anything burning yet, except for when I saw the smoke coming from the front of the car which was the anti-freeze. So I should regularly check the oil of the car, what about the tranny fluid?

-Raza

·
Registered
113 Posts
still stock

I followed the manual to break in my STI, meaning shifting before 4000 rpm for the 1st 1k mile. In my case, the engine oil burned fast and it was kind of on the low side before the first oil change (my first was at 3500 miles). So I added some just in case. Tranny oil was also low but not lower than the limit. I mentioned to the dealer about low tranny oil during the first oil change.

After break in, I normally shift at around 4k rpm. At times I want some blast, I then shift at around 6k rpm. I believe the six speed transmission is solid and well built. I did a lot of running start (say 10 mph), but very little standing start unless I have to.

Congrat! Enjoy such amazing driving machine. I have it since Sep 03 and I am still having fun every time I am driving it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
All burning smells from a car can be replicated by taking a handful of $100 bills and lighting them on fire. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,705 Posts
M said:
All burning smells from a car can be replicated by taking a handful of $100 bills and lighting them on fire. ;)
While continuing to hold on to them!

Blue

·
Registered
316 Posts
Raza said:
Oh yeah! Ok, i just took it out for a drive on the LIE. I was cruising and pulled into a gas station to buy a soda. I noticed smoke coming out of the front of the car. Smelled like anti-freeze burning. After a little inspection i noticed anti-freeze in some spots of the car. Maybe whoever put it in was being a little messy? Is that what the smoke was probably from? The smoke wasn't thick, it disappeared like 2 seconds after i saw it. It doesn't smoke anymore now neither.
I have smelled antifreze on my STi when I got home to the garage and noticed that some "splashed out" from where the overflow hose goes into the overflow tank. Also around the overflow filler cap. Didn't give it too much thought though since my temp gauges are reading good. My(old car) wrx did start leaking from the top seam of the radiator at about 30,000 miles but I shook the crap out of it on dirt roads. Subaru couldn't find a leak so the tech left pressure on the radiator overnight and found the leak and replaced it.

L.I.E. Long Island Expressway?
--Sin52

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sin52 said:
Raza said:
L.I.E. Long Island Expressway?
--Sin52
Yes sir. I went from exit 51-56, and back.

I feel that I am totally over protective about this car that I just can't enjoy it. Everytime I park her in my garage, i feel like I made a mistake. I don't know if any of you guys felt the same way. Not a mistake for buying it, I don't regret it at all. I asked my friend who recently purchased a g35, he said the same thing.. Weird.

-Raza

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Everytime I park her in my garage, i feel like I made a mistake. I don't know if any of you guys felt the same way. Not a mistake for buying it, I don't regret it at all.

Guilty? Like buyer's remorse?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
STi_Thunder said:

Guilty? Like buyer's remorse?

Possibly. Did you feel the same way?

-Raza

1 - 19 of 19 Posts