IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received 2005 STI factory OBP/Gold from the original owner who ordered the car new in late 2004. 61,000 miles.
He bought car new after ordering it and had parts waiting and then most parts installed prior to pickup (I have the receipt to prove his claim)

They go as follows

1. HKS HI-Power Catback
  2. K & N Intake
  3. Badgeless grill unknown aftermarket brand - has a weird metallic dark grey color to the surround
  4. claimed OEM Subaru JDM short shift kit
  5. He ordered the oem plastic hood rock Bra/Deflector as well prior to vehicle arriving - decided to not have installed and wait. Ended up never installing
  6. Unconfirmed & claimed OEM Japanese?/Euro? market factory option Blue alcantara shift boot
  7. Original Rare OEM STi silver shift knob (missing the shift pattern and the pink sti striping though)
  8. DEFI triple pod with Boost , exhaust temp, oil (has a color changing thing velcrod in glovebox? Looks really comically dated now
  9. Claimed factory dealer installed footwell lighting (green)
  10. Old school EBC ultramax british made pads
  11. HKS BOV he ordered from Japan with no english writing. Super JDM looking stuff in a dated purple box

So - here is what time capsule parts I have as a result
05 STI shiftknob - looks like it was tried out at some point but could pass as new easily
A Brand New never used 2005 STI catback exhaust off the car (It is PRISTINE and insane to see. I already wrapped it up and stored it)
A Brand New dash clock where the pod now is (really wish this came with the Lamco or he just left the nice clock on there)
A brand New 04-07 STI shift kit never used
A Brand New never used 04-07 STI intake system with all hardwae/clips/etc they where saved
A Brand new Diverter valve or whatever the stock blow off is referred to

Now I am a STI expert, but the area I could learn more about is what was uncommon OEM+ options from Japan back in the day - any of this stuff ring a bell to anyone (shift boot, lighting,etc)

I also wanted to ask what is the preferred detailing method for these cars. My cars paint is filthy as in the clear coats dirty and this thing needs a full paint correction - I used spray waxes just to see it shine and it would leave marks on the paint almost like a haze or stain. It is black but this is bad.....I hit it with a DA polish and it made the paint extremely cloudy where I had to compound and polish to fix tonight. What did everyone use to clean the Alcantara with , without making it pilly or fade. Thanks
Christian

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Side notes for anyone who may care.
I have every ounce of paperwork From the delivery and dealer besides the Damn Window Sticker - Is there ANY way to generate one? I am back and forth with Subaru Corporate and they are really a bunch of hard asses. Are there a VIN decoder or anything close to a Marti Report for these cars?

I have all the original warranty books, original Owners black pouch, original STI performance internet website card, subaru website card, Subaru gold warranty booklet + pamphlet + original card in the owners name still on the sticky paper with the cutout never. Original tire warranty books, STI specific owners book, owners manual, I have the ORIGINAL PDI SHEET FROM 2005 FROM WHEN IT CAME OFF THE TRUCK and it looks new. Not even wrinkly, I have waited since I was 5 years old ( I am 25) for this and I was on the brink of tears when it was getting pulled out of the transport truck. This car is like an extention of me as a person for anyone who knows me. I lurked on here since I was 8 years old (original profile got banned when I was arguing about a 07-09 Mazdaspeed3 interior being nice than the 08-10 STI interior WHICH IT IS馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀) and finally after many painful years of waiting, purchase mistakes (bought a new 2016 and it never felt right, sold for a focus rs, sold that car and more etc)
It was a huge purchase for me financially (in my eyes, I am very frugal so anything that I dont sell for a profit is big) and I am so happy. I will Forever envy the guys who could have drove to a Subaru dealer in 03/04/05/06 and see these cars new and buy or lease one. I would buy 3 and store them in a bubble if i could.
Anyways just wanted to FINALLY introduce myself as a 04-07 STi owner ten years later. Still cannot believe it. This website is awesome, and when i was 9,10,11,12,13 I spent so many nights rushing homework to come on here and read up and look at member journals, etc. Worth the wait

Registered
nice, sounds like you found a pretty cool car.

as far as detailing, i personally prefer adams detailing products, and for a harder cut, mcguires compounds. if your paint is hazy and you have never tried cutting/polishing before, dont try it on a subaru first, the paint is super thin and will be easier to burn through than other cars. but for a paint correction, when i was detailing, i'd do wash (using a stripper wash), iron x, clay, cut (as many passes as needed, using various pad densities pending paint condition), polish (typically 1-2 passes with a soft pad), sealant/wax (finishing pad) OR ceramic coating.

so far as the interior, all i ever used was adams carpet/upholstry cleaner and a steam cleaner. worked great.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
My detailing pointers:

For the interior I am a major fan of "aerospace 303" protectant.
Good for most surfaces except glass and screens (and the headliner and alcantara obv).
I use it on the dash, the leather portions of the seats, door panels, steering wheel, various trim, and I often give the floor mats (weathertech) a spray and wipe after cleaning them.
It basically is a better alternative to armorall that lasts longer and offers some UV protection too.
I use that and do a proper vaccuum, and windex the glass, and that's my interior bit.

For the outside, my advise is if you want to make it look 'clean' you can do a wash/claybar/wax but if you have swirl marks or tons of the tiny scratches all over that make the car look dull, your only real answer is a proper polisher.
I just picked up a Griot's Garage orbital polisher with a cutting, polishing, and waxing pad set.
I paired that with some Meguiars product, a cutting compound, a polish, and a liquid wax.
I've only used it so far on the headlights and the taillights, but I was able to take a 2000 grit wet-sand (headlights) to a 'better than new' mirror shine in no time, so it's definitely worth the investment.
Just depends how far you want to go in terms of 'getting into it'.
If you do decide to go this route, go easy.
Start somewhere like a bumper or side skirt on a lower speed with less pressure to get the hang of it.
Just based on the nature of the car you picked up, I venture to guess you want to make it look mint, so definitely do some research here before you jump in.
I went with the Griot's Garage stuff because they came across as a brand that the enthusiasts go for, not necessarily the ones sponsoring the magazines and youtube influencers to pump up their name.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My detailing pointers:

For the interior I am a major fan of "aerospace 303" protectant.
Good for most surfaces except glass and screens (and the headliner and alcantara obv).
I use it on the dash, the leather portions of the seats, door panels, steering wheel, various trim, and I often give the floor mats (weathertech) a spray and wipe after cleaning them.
It basically is a better alternative to armorall that lasts longer and offers some UV protection too.
I use that and do a proper vaccuum, and windex the glass, and that's my interior bit.

For the outside, my advise is if you want to make it look 'clean' you can do a wash/claybar/wax but if you have swirl marks or tons of the tiny scratches all over that make the car look dull, your only real answer is a proper polisher.
I just picked up a Griot's Garage orbital polisher with a cutting, polishing, and waxing pad set.
I paired that with some Meguiars product, a cutting compound, a polish, and a liquid wax.
I've only used it so far on the headlights and the taillights, but I was able to take a 2000 grit wet-sand (headlights) to a 'better than new' mirror shine in no time, so it's definitely worth the investment.
Just depends how far you want to go in terms of 'getting into it'.
If you do decide to go this route, go easy.
Start somewhere like a bumper or side skirt on a lower speed with less pressure to get the hang of it.
Just based on the nature of the car you picked up, I venture to guess you want to make it look mint, so definitely do some research here before you jump in.
I went with the Griot's Garage stuff because they came across as a brand that the enthusiasts go for, not necessarily the ones sponsoring the magazines and youtube influencers to pump up their name.
The New Meguires Ceramix wax bottle works fantastically so far - better than any other wax I have applied by hand including a $60 P21S - I will probably pass on the aerospace stuff - I like the dash to stay dull and original at all times. Spray away or Meguires quick interior detailer works excellent to clean and leave a factory finish!!! Love your hatch btw

Registered
Wow man congrats! Welcome to the fam finally! Thats pretty awesome that you have all the original paper work for the car. I think stuff like that goes a long way in my eyes. For reasons just like that, i too have my oem paperwork, manual, and even sticker all stored in the car from when i first took delievery. I have somewhat a reciet for all mods wheather its digital or faded paper stored away. I even keep an excel spreadsheet of all maint, service, and mod records down to part numbers, date, and mileage. Im sure one day, someone will really appreciate it.

Ive always liked the look of the HKS exhaust on the GD chassis sti. Especially the HKS carbon exhaust with the burnt tip. Ive always thought they looked so cool and really stood out. I think both of those HKS exhaust are timeless classics for the GD in my opinion. There were so many great exhaust options back then. Exhaust like JIC Magic, Buddy Club, Fujitsubo, ect ect. Lots of cool stuff was available back then for those cars. Remember when Greddy had the TIC and even the full TI. The full titanium had that cool rolled tip. Id love for them to bring something like that back.

Post up some pics, lets see it!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow man congrats! Welcome to the fam finally! Thats pretty awesome that you have all the original paper work for the car. I think stuff like that goes a long way in my eyes. For reasons just like that, i too have my oem paperwork, manual, and even sticker all stored in the car from when i first took delievery. I have somewhat a reciet for all mods wheather its digital or faded paper stored away. I even keep an excel spreadsheet of all maint, service, and mod records down to part numbers, date, and mileage. Im sure one day, someone will really appreciate it.

Ive always liked the look of the HKS exhaust on the GD chassis sti. Especially the HKS carbon exhaust with the burnt tip. Ive always thought they looked so cool and really stood out. I think both of those HKS exhaust are timeless classics for the GD in my opinion. There were so many great exhaust options back then. Exhaust like JIC Magic, Buddy Club, Fujitsubo, ect ect. Lots of cool stuff was available back then for those cars. Remember when Greddy had the TIC and even the full TI. The full titanium had that cool rolled tip. Id love for them to bring something like that back.

Post up some pics, lets see it!!
Thank you for the warm welcoming! I had a 2016, But it never felt the same as the OG USDM cars did to me.
I will post some pictures soon - such a busy weekend cleaning the car and going through a full paint correction on my own time. It severely needed clay bar treatment.
JIC Magic.....wow thats a blast from the past. I forgot they existed.Thanks for the throwback

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ended up using a the Wolfgang swirl removal kit. Honestly, the product is not a good fit for the subarus thin thin paint and clear. The Wolfgang glaze actually is all I needed. Nice compound polish with a orbital followed by 2 glaze goats made it
Like new.

Registered
Ended up using a the Wolfgang swirl removal kit. Honestly, the product is not a good fit for the subarus thin thin paint and clear. The Wolfgang glaze actually is all I needed. Nice compound polish with a orbital followed by 2 glaze goats made it
Like new.
what wolfgang compound did you use? that shouldnt be any issue even with the thin clear subaru has.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what wolfgang compound did you use? that shouldnt be any issue even with the thin clear subaru has.
ill post a pic later. I got the total swirl remover kit.My cars obp, and I鈥檓 experienced with using professional equipment to paint correct. I鈥檝e done it for 10+ years in my own cars and no issues. It marred the hell out of my paint (I use a new pad for each time of course and never re use pads for any of my cars) thankfully the glaze got rid of it. I wouldn鈥檛 buy the kit again.

hard to find a decent paint correction one step product for black paint. Gonna try the rupes stuff next

Registered
ill post a pic later. I got the total swirl remover kit.My cars obp, and I鈥檓 experienced with using professional equipment to paint correct. I鈥檝e done it for 10+ years in my own cars and no issues. It marred the hell out of my paint (I use a new pad for each time of course and never re use pads for any of my cars) thankfully the glaze got rid of it. I wouldn鈥檛 buy the kit again.

hard to find a decent paint correction one step product for black paint. Gonna try the rupes stuff next
mcguires cutting conpound. Adams finish. Adams graphine ceramic coating to protect.

I didn鈥檛 use Wolfgang much. But I never had that experience at all. Really with any detailing products. I ran a detailing business for years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mcguires cutting conpound. Adams finish. Adams graphine ceramic coating to protect.

I didn鈥檛 use Wolfgang much. But I never had that experience at all. Really with any detailing products. I ran a detailing business for years.
my cars black do you think the cutting comp is too rough for it? Also the adams product is just called finish? What is a graphine? Adams products I鈥檝e purchased in the past I haven鈥檛 liked

Registered
my cars black do you think the cutting comp is too rough for it? Also the adams product is just called finish? What is a graphine? Adams products I鈥檝e purchased in the past I haven鈥檛 liked
I think you used one that is harsher than you realized and it sounds like you did it correctly and didn鈥檛 know you did. With a heavy cutting compound, once you use it with a buffer and wipe clean, the clear coat will be dull looking, as you鈥檙e cutting it down, and then polishing fills that back in and brings the shine back. This is how you get rid of scratches. Honestly it sounds to be like you did exactly what the product was designed to do.

graphine refers to the chemical in that specific ceramic coating. I prefer ceramic coatings to wax. But they are a lot more expensive, much less forgiving and much more time consuming

adams I meant to polish. It鈥檚 notcalled finish. But I was saying to finish before a wax/sealant/ceramic coat. I鈥檇 honestly have to look up the name of it. I think they call it brilliant polish. But i can鈥檛 remember. I have one that my supplier just refilled, and thelabel is pretty much gone lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you used one that is harsher than you realized and it sounds like you did it correctly and didn鈥檛 know you did. With a heavy cutting compound, once you use it with a buffer and wipe clean, the clear coat will be dull looking, as you鈥檙e cutting it down, and then polishing fills that back in and brings the shine back. This is how you get rid of scratches. Honestly it sounds to be like you did exactly what the product was designed to do.

graphine refers to the chemical in that specific ceramic coating. I prefer ceramic coatings to wax. But they are a lot more expensive, much less forgiving and much more time consuming

adams I meant to polish. It鈥檚 notcalled finish. But I was saying to finish before a wax/sealant/ceramic coat. I鈥檇 honestly have to look up the name of it. I think they call it brilliant polish. But i can鈥檛 remember. I have one that my supplier just refilled, and thelabel is pretty much gone lol.
What do you think of 3M products??? Know a porsche guy who swears by 3m finesse it (i think its called that lol) as a all in 1 fix.
Every time i buy a all in1 product, it never does as promised and I end up spending double to do it the right way lol

Registered
What do you think of 3M products??? Know a porsche guy who swears by 3m finesse it (i think its called that lol) as a all in 1 fix.
Every time i buy a all in1 product, it never does as promised and I end up spending double to do it the right way lol
i dont have much experience with 3m products. the best all in one ive used is HD Speed. That said, there are plenty out there that i'm sure will be decent. but if your paint is really scratched/swirled using an all in one wont fix it completely. I find too many people who say an all in one is good/bad when their paint was either good enough that an all in one is all you need, or they say it's bad when it didnt fix their terrible paint. from everything ive heard of with 3m products, they make quality stuff. I just personally havent used them.

Super Moderator
Congratulations on the acquisition and welcome to the pain. LoL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts