IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Road & Track review

It was not that bad and everyone got out fine. I was wondering if anyone with some legal knowledge help me clear some stuff up. See the thing is I was in the middle of the intersection waiting to make a left turn. So Im waiting there until the light turns yellow but theres still cars coming. And then the light turns red and the oncomming cars in the 1st lane have already stoped. Then I start to make my left turn and out of no where some lady runs the red and hits me and spins my car 180. Now the thing that I was just wondering is who is at fault here, me or the lady that ran the red? Oh and don't worry my car was just a pathfinder nothing special like a wrx.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Don't know what CA law is - you'd have to check your Rules of the Road.

Here in Illinois, in Drivers' Ed. they teach you to creep into the middle of the intersection when making a left (like you did).

I know, that in VA. for example, you're supposed to sit behind the stop line when making a left (!).

But if the light was actually red like you say, the lady was at fault.

Even the people that just got a green (cross traffic) are supposed to wait until the intersection is clear - of left-turners, etc... so if one of them hit you, it'd be their fault as well.

On the other hand, for a yellow light, oncoming traffic (those going straight or turning right) still have right-of-way over left-turners.

Glad to hear everyone's OK - hope everything works out alright.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
This happened to a friend of mine and he got screwed. You better have witnesses otherwise it's your word against hers. Maybe, if you are lucky, that intersection has a camera.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nod, witnesses, witnesses, witnesses. I can NOT stress that enough. You also need to know all about your state's rules of the road/right of way regulations. Good Luck!

·
Registered
963 Posts
MK and BHODGES - thank you for adding that.

Witnesses are definitely the most important point, unfortunately also the most difficult sometimes.

It's amazing what people don't see... (or say they don't see) :roll:

·
Registered
437 Posts
It is usually super easy to get the witnesses if you do it right then and there. Have the officer on the scene witness a few people's accounts of what happened. Most will even include it in their actual reports which you can then get a copy of and send to insurance or wherever. Finding witnesses after the fact can be a little trickier. Might have to resort to posting signs in adjacent buildings, etc. You did have an officer come and fill out a report though right?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea there was an officer that did a report but unfortunatly there was no witnesses there. There was some but they left right after the accident. So I guess it looks like Im gona get screwed over :evil:

·
Registered
307 Posts
evo or sti

when you make a left into oncomeing traffic your at fault, simply clearing an intersection is not enough reason to pull into traffic, I hope you can find a few witnesses, to stand up for you

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ken Reich said:
when you make a left into oncomeing traffic your at fault, simply clearing an intersection is not enough reason to pull into traffic, I hope you can find a few witnesses, to stand up for you
I beg to differ.

How can a left-turner be at fault if the person that just hit him went through a RED LIGHT...?

There is a standard of "reasonableness" applied in most cases such as this.

Remind me never to get in an accident in Canada...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: Although Entertaining...

fact is they both went through the red light. commonsense would say, however, that tb311 was not at fault since a) he had to get outa the intersection and b) he was struck. however, i've learned the law defies (or rather, has a longer view than) commonsense. best of luck tb311.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I know this is probably all said and done... but... just to clear things up... I check canadian law... The person turning left has the right of way IF he was IN the intersection Prior to the light turning yellow. It which time he must clear the intersection. Running a red is running a red... no question who is at fault.

M

·
0 Posts
If there is no one there to corroborate that she ran a red light, you are probably going to have a hard time.

You need to get a lawyer immediately.

mist

1 - 13 of 13 Posts