IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm not a happy camper right now, although I can't blame subaru, since it is Takata, the supplier of the passenger side air bag that is to blame for the recall. The notice includes 2006-2008 STI's and states that moisture can cause the are bag igniter to possibly rupture and possibly cause injury or even death to the front passenger if it goes off from metal fragments becoming projectiles.

The problem is that the parts to replace the recalled air bags aren't going to be available until next March and it stated to not let passengers sit in the front seat until it's fixed. Well alrighty then. Umm so what are people doing who got this notice?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The ol' grenade in the glovebox notice...I got one well over a year ago and it took about 9 months for the dealer to get parts in. That was trying the 4 Subaru dealers in any kind of remote closeness to me and getting put on waiting lists. Your call if you still want to let passengers sit in the seat but I guess they covered their asses with the notice if by chance something happens.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
05 fixed by dealer years ago. What's to be mad about. They're covering no matter the age or condition of the car. I got a notice. Made an appt, done that week in 40 minutes during a lunch hour.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I got my first notice last Spring I think. I just got another one the other day saying the parts are in. I haven't called on it yet. Actually I was down at Subaru the other day and just forgot.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
05 fixed by dealer year ago. What's to be mad about. They're covering no matter the age or condition of the car. I got a notice. Made an appt, done that week in 40 minutes during a lunch hour.
It disturbs me slightly that I just got a notice today when others got notified and repaired over a year ago, and I have had friends and and family and myself in th e passenger seat on numerous occassions. I better get a kick ass rental while waiting for this part to come in

·
pwn n00bs
18,230 Posts
we have toyota customers getting the same thing and the same advice for people to not sit there.

it's a worldwide epidemic and nothing you can do, but wait.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The cars in the humid climates got first priority. The northeast got last priority. The recall is so big that is why it took so long to get a notice. They have until 2019 to recall the air bags. Whats worse is that most of the replacement are made by takata with the new desiccant chemical. If those are not proven to be safe by 2019 all air bags will have to be recalled again.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
My 08 sti got airbag, airpump and brake line recall lol
local bmw dealer had soo many cars sitting on parking lot because they can not sell them without fixing airbag recall and that took them couple months

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called SOA this afternoon and they said I'm eligible for a loaner car during the waiting list period, so I will go that route.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
05 fixed by dealer years ago. What's to be mad about. They're covering no matter the age or condition of the car. I got a notice. Made an appt, done that week in 40 minutes during a lunch hour.
We must've lucked out with our 05's before the recall really expanded and it only took about 2 days to get ours done. But I do find it weird how the recall ended mid-generation.

I called SOA this afternoon and they said I'm eligible for a loaner car during the waiting list period, so I will go that route.
But do you gotta leave your car at the dealership for that 1yr while you wait? I would not feel comfortable with that, for said reasons above. I don't see why you couldn't keep the car in your possession while you wait, since SOA already covered their asses by disclosing the information, essentially putting all the responsibility on you until it gets fixed in case anything happens.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry should have clarified, I do not have to k eave my car at the dealership during the waiting period, so theoretically I can end up with a loaner for months if that's how long it takes for the parts to come in. Fine by me, the STI's mileage will stay low while I'm driving the loaner. They said they make a record of the mileage though, making me wonder if it ends up in a fee if I put miles(on the 06) on it while I have the loaner ? I'll find out on monday.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so, they gave me a crosstrek loaner while I am waiting for the airbag replacement to come in. You'll need full insurance coverage on the recalled car, and proof of ownership, keeping my STI in the driveway at home, only going to take it around the block once a week until the airbag gets fixed.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I had the passenger airbag in my 2007 legacy replaced last month. Make sure you take it to a dealership you trust. After they finished, mine was missing 2 screws, broke one of the dash mounts and I have a rattle going over some bumps between 20 and 40mph. I was able to figure out where the rattle was coming from and tried fixing it today. Initial trip sounds promising.

TLDR- be prepared for them to add some rattles and hope it wont be too bad to fix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^Did they remove the entire dash on your Leggy; I have seen the procedure for the GD STI and they only have to remove the glove box to get the passenger airbag out and the airbag cover, but I think they allow for 2.5-4 hours to account for variation. Shouldnt be too bad, I might swap out my kenwood touchscreen for a stock 6 disc before I bring it in, coincidently the day before I got the recall notice my Kenwood decided to stop ejecting the CD, had it for 5 years and played the sht out of it though.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
^^^Did they remove the entire dash on your Leggy; I have seen the procedure for the GD STI and they only have to remove the glove box to get the passenger airbag out and the airbag cover, but I think they allow for 2.5-4 hours to account for variation. Shouldnt be too bad, I might swap out my kenwood touchscreen for a stock 6 disc before I bring it in, coincidently the day before I got the recall notice my Kenwood decided to stop ejecting the CD, had it for 5 years and played the sht out of it though.

Didnt think about just going underneath and I didnt ask about how they did it. I know they did take the center console apart because that wasnt put back together correctly. The connector for the airbag is easily accessible on mine throught the center of the dash where the vents are. Hopefully they didnt actually monkey with the top of the dash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Recall parts came in early, took them under 2 hours to replace the airbag parts and replace the cabin air filter and I was out the door, no new rattles or squeeks from the dash, good as new.

If you get this recall get it done immediately

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have to get around to this. Will book the appt. I drive the car so rarely I wans't too worried. But hey it is free.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to get around to this. Will book the appt. I drive the car so rarely I wans't too worried. But hey it is free.
Its smart to get it done, and if the car sits a lot it could be more prone to corrosion of the airbag ignitor, unless its kept in a climate controlled garage. At first the recall was only rolled out in high humidity states like florida to texas, but I think it has been extended to any state with any type of humidty or high moisture weather.

Get a loaner if they have to order the part, the dealership sends the bill to takata so its free for them and the customers LOL.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts