IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and what an expierience... LOL...

I had some ramps laying around the garage from changing oil from in the past, but discovered they wouldn't work, because the STI sits too low. I had a floor jack and I tried lifting the car with that, but it picked up the rear tires as well. So I set it down then decieded to go buy another floor jack... so that I could lift the front of the car at once, without lifting the rear tires... That worked out pretty well... so far soo good...

First of all who ever put the oil plug in at the factory must have used an impact wrench. After that came off... well this is the part of the story where the hot oil came out surprisingly quick which completely missed the oil pan. Then when I finally did get the oil pan under spewing oil. I discovered my oil pan could not drain down to keep up with the amount being put in it... So more oil on the drive way.. great... haha I've honestly never seen a car that dumped that much oil that fast... blows my mind.

ok... so now... I'm laying in hot oil... trying to get the oil filter off. Finally got it off with an oil wrench. Then installed a Purolator oil filter PL14610 (the bigger one) and reinstalled the drain plug. After I got that all nice and tight I filled up the engine with the 4 quarts of oil.... Then discovered that since I got a larger oil filter I needed more oil... So off to walmart in another car. Got another quart and put about 1/2 of it in. Checked the dipstick all good...

Lowered the car, spent 2 hours scrubbing the driveway.

I am at 1500 miles and I put Mobile 1 5W-30 in...

My question is there an easier way to get the oil out w/o spraying it everywhere next time?

Thanks
Bennett

·
Registered
20 Posts
I usually do my oil changes with the car on a lift at work so its pretty easy for me. I wouldn't recommend using an aftermarket oil filters on a car as nice as an sti, sometimes you get poor sealing and I dont trust the filtering quality.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
The oil doesn't so much drain out of the STi as it does just fall out of it. I've never seen oil leave a car in such a disorderly fashion.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
align said:
I usually do my oil changes with the car on a lift at work so its pretty easy for me. I wouldn't recommend using an aftermarket oil filters on a car as nice as an sti, sometimes you get poor sealing and I dont trust the filtering quality.
wolfplayer did a test on a bunch of oil filters and teh purolator one came in 2nd best in filtering right behind the oem one. Thats what i use also.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Its definately an experience changing the STi's oil for the first time...kinda throws you for a loop. I just installed the fumoto valve thing, so next time won't be so bad.

And with synthetic oil especially, you have to keep a constant eye on your oil level. Some people will say they never burned a drop of it, but in my car I was topping it off every few days.

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
yea i burned the synthetic mobil one REALLY bad, then switched to castrol syntec which was ok at first then started burning it on a not so safe level.

i'm now back to castrol gtx.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Have you guys ever run a magnetic drain plug? What about all the garbage those things collect? How does this valve deal with that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts