IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a Black 06' STI, they didnt have a black in the lot and there was no way I was going to get any other color. Now the next 1-2 weeks will feel like a lifetime!!!

I got two main questions...one, Im getting this with no miles on it so whats the best way to break in the engine so performance is at peak down the line? What ive heard is dont go over 4k rmp first 1000 miles...is that all though?

Second, I was suprised how quiet the stock sti is...dont get me wrong I dont want to drive down the street with my sti sounding like a machine gun goin off , but I do want a little more rumble. So whats the best exhaust upgrade that adds performance and not too much sound.

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
When breaking in the engine just drive normally. Try to refrain from higher rpms in general, no hard launchs or WOT. I don't think there is an actual rpm to stay under. Do what you feel is right for about 1000 miles.

As far as a good rumble but nothing too loud I would go with the Cobb tbe as a first choice and the APS 3" or 3.5" for the second.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Congrats with your order, black 06 STi's look great.

For my break in I stayed under 4-5k and tried to vary my rpm's a lot, people say that helps, do a quick search for more discussion on that.

For exhaust, you have the choice to do a turbo back exhaust and etc, those can be pretty loud, but not too loud, IMO

If you want the sound, but dont wanna shell out all the $$$ and etc for the downpipe and maybe tuning, a catback does well. I like my borla cause its a perfect sound level, looks very stock and has a good warranty, also its not super expensive (compared to some I suppose).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
jsnuff1 said:
Just ordered a Black 06' STI, they didnt have a black in the lot and there was no way I was going to get any other color. Now the next 1-2 weeks will feel like a lifetime!!!

I got two main questions...one, Im getting this with no miles on it so whats the best way to break in the engine so performance is at peak down the line? What ive heard is dont go over 4k rmp first 1000 miles...is that all though?

Second, I was suprised how quiet the stock sti is...dont get me wrong I dont want to drive down the street with my sti sounding like a machine gun goin off , but I do want a little more rumble. So whats the best exhaust upgrade that adds performance and not too much sound.

Thanks!
Yeah, under 4k rpms according to the manual, and change the oil with regular oil at 1k miles. Cobb is quiet unless you go WOT; also, the Greddy models are CARB certified for sound emission.

P.S. you won't be getting it with "0" miles. Right off the trailer, it'll have a few miles on it already from all the transportation involved.

Enjoy the new car and the great color choice!
Please drive safely and in control.

·
Registered
137 Posts
jsnuff1 said:
I was suprised how quiet the stock sti is...dont get me wrong I dont want to drive down the street with my sti sounding like a machine gun goin off , but I do want a little more rumble. So whats the best exhaust upgrade that adds performance and not too much sound.
i had the same complaint - it just didn't sound like 300hp!

i just fitted a GReddy EVO2 catback. i'm loving it. has that boxer rumble but really isn't loud until you get up it for the rent.

jsnuff1 said:
you're welcome.

·
Premium Member
14,740 Posts
Congrats and welcome!!! Breakin....keep it under 4k and no steady hwy driving...I gave mine a couple good runs up to 5500....but that was like a handful....no oil loss till today.

Want an Exhaust....INVIDIA G200!!!! FTW!

·
Banned
1,277 Posts
^^ yea then chris woke up .. lol hks ftw , and welcome to iwsti , damn i cant wait for my car , the feeling is amazing to drive off the lot with a brand new sti

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Congrats on the buy. On the break in id say honestly just drive it like you normally would ever day. And your not going to redline it light to light everyday... so i think you understand what i mean :D The whole break in period is just so the seals in the motor get hot enough to seal properly, it happens with in the first 50miles or so. Thats why if you buy an M3 from a older person who has babied since buying it. The car will run like crap and be slower then other M3s that werent babied. They didnt break right... But one thing is for sure, dont launch it at all. Not until your very familar with it and how the clutch ingages and stuff like that. As for the exhaust, get the SPT catback. Looks stock, sounds greatttt plus its subaru... I found this clip. Its on a 05 WrX so keep in mind that has the 2.0L motor, and i think more cats then a STi. Not the best clip, but youll get an idear!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9bcpfIVrqn4

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the suggestions....well i somehow got through the first day of waiting, just 6-9 more days :(

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
congrats

·
Registered
158 Posts
congrats and the longest 2 weeks, or 1 weekend will be the break in time not the wait until delivery time. The right foot just wants to floor it sooooo bad during that first 1k but...... resist the temptaion. Congrats again

1 - 20 of 36 Posts