IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drive a lot of highway miles.

Do you:

Make sure that you don't block a semi truck (or another car) in the slow lane as you approach an entrance ramp, forcing the slow lane vehicle or the merging vehicle to brake?

Modulate your speed when in the fast lane so you don't 'pinch' cars in the slow lane behind slower traffic, forcing them to slow down or brake?

Look before you pull into the fast lane, forcing faster oncoming traffic to slow down or brake?

Speed up when in the slow lane when faster moving vehicles in the fast lane are about to overtake you?

Change lanes and match the speed of a vehicle that just passed you?

These are just a few things I think of as "Smart Driving". Am I expecting too much out of the "General Driving Public"? Or are there others out there that actually see the big picture on the road?

If you have one to add to this, by all means, help yourself.

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
1)I never block anyone because I speed up the on ramp if I see someone near. Jersey is just like that :confused:

2)I do moderate my speed, never tailing people.

3)I physically turn my head to look for every move.

4) Never speed up to block someone, Im not an asshole. I mind my own business.

5) Not really.

I see the big picture. But I dont overanalyze it like you just did.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LightWerkz said:
I see the big picture. But I dont overanalyze it like you just did.
Oh come on! Don't you once in a while get fed up with the mindless drones?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
If I make a lane change or pull out into traffic, I make sure I'm not going to have to make the cars behind me have to slow down or move to avoid me. If I get into the fast lane, I am immediately at the speed of the cars in that lane. That's my peave. If you're going to get into the fast lane or pull out in front of me, do it and move. Also, when I come down an entrance ramp, by the time I get to the bottom I am at least at the speed of the traffic already on the interstate, if not a tad faster. You can't merge at 40 MPH...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
303STI said:
Use turn signals!!! Get out of the fast lane after a pass. Those are two things that irritate me.
When I was a kid, I remember these road signs that said "Keep Right Except to Pass".

You don't see those sign too much anymore. Shame...:(

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Last time I was in WV, it was a $100 fine for the first violation of cruising in the fast lane. I'm sure it's open to interpretation, but I wouldn't chance it. Plus I don't do it anyway.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I try to always look at the "big picture." It aggravates me when people do not know how to adjust their speed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
klaymon said:
If I make a lane change or pull out into traffic, I make sure I'm not going to have to make the cars behind me have to slow down or move to avoid me. If I get into the fast lane, I am immediately at the speed of the cars in that lane. That's my peave. If you're going to get into the fast lane or pull out in front of me, do it and move. Also, when I come down an entrance ramp, by the time I get to the bottom I am at least at the speed of the traffic already on the interstate, if not a tad faster. You can't merge at 40 MPH...
:yeahthat:

I never impede traffic flow. If I do happen to be in a rush and I pull out in front of someone, I'm out..they don't even have to lift their foot off the gas.

I grew up around semi-trucks (father is a truck driver), and I have a much more heightened awareness and respect for them than most people. I dont even think of ****ing with one of those.

If I merge onto a highway from an entrance ramp, I'm always up to speed by the time I do so.

My only downfall in traffic is that when you see my directional on, its not an open invitation to fill the gap I'm trying to merge into. That is my single biggest pet peeve. I'll think nothing of cutting right in front of someone who has to speed up once I put my directional on. I'll never do it if I really feel an accident will be the result, but I'll wait until they're about a half a car length back. On the other hand, I dont get mad if someone cuts into the cap in front of me provided they have their directional on.:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Driving is like chess..you have to know what other people are gonna do before they do it. And always give yourself an out in case people do something stupid. Like moving over a lane to the left with the cell phone up to their left ear. How can you see if you're gonna rub paint with another car if your arm and cell phone are in the way?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
defensive driving

·
Registered
440 Posts
My biggest pet peeve is people who drive like they're the only people on the road. It's just people not being considerate of others.

Just an FYI of the 36 states I have been to nobody drives as badly as people from Missouri. No offense to those from Missouri, but I do have to share this as I feel it might give closure.

I lived in Durango Co last summer and was driving home(22 hour drive) at hour 18 I was stuck behind two semis side by side doing 60, when the speed limit was 70. I nearly lost it I hate when people do things like that.

The moral of the story is be considerate when driving it makes my world a much happier place.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I've got a couple:
Put that damn phone down and concentrate on your driving.
Use your signal light everytime.
Drive defensively
Expect the unexpected.
Always know who is around you.
Get out of my blind spot. I like this one because I'll start drifting over until they back off.
Never ever cut infront of a semi.

·
Registered
892 Posts
IndySTi said:

Speed up when in the slow lane when faster moving vehicles in the fast lane are about to overtake you?

Change lanes and match the speed of a vehicle that just passed you?
I'm confused at these two. I cant stand when people speed up because I'm passing them. how is this smart driving?

Sideoiler said:
I've got a couple:
Get out of my blind spot. I like this one because I'll start drifting over until they back off.
haha i do that too.

use cruise control on highways!

dont rubberneck. if you want to see car wrecks, watch realTV.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
IndySTi said:
When I was a kid, I remember these road signs that said "Keep Right Except to Pass".

You don't see those sign too much anymore. Shame...:(
Only here in the U.S. do people think they need to stay in the left lane. (all the time) :tdown:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I drive from MA down to NJ quite a lot in the summer and the section of 84 in NY sucks on a friday night. There are 2 lanes for the most part with people doing 55 in both lanes, then you hit a hill and a slow vehicle lane opens up on the right while 2 trucks sit in the left two lanes doing 30-45mph with a string of 30 cars waiting behind each one.

I tested this last friday night and every time, and I mean every time without exception, there was a slow traffic lane I was able to drive up the entire hill in the slow lane and pass 30 cars and at least 2 trucks with no one else in the slow lane.

Well it was fun openning the car up going up the hills anyway.

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
i couldn't even read the post because i don't pay attention to anything. ADD ftw.

although when i'm driving i am VERY attentive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree completely with IndySTi, I don't do any of those things, and never did. I really learned to pay attention and was pissed off by people that did stuff like that when I drove for a trucking company during college. Everyone needs to drive for a living for 6 mons at some point, it gives you a different point of view.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts