IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deposit

Just received my June MotorTrend, sorry, I don't have a scanner :(

Excellent review but for those 10 years old who said previously "I'm in a hurry to spank the Evo butts", you should review your position since both are in the same league for 0-60 or 1/4 times. YES, the STi have A LOT MORE goodies for the price but I just wanted to say that I don't like people here or on evolutionm.net trashing the STi or the Evo because IMO, they are similar. (And no, I won't have either of them STi or Evo. I'm a happy 03 Z06 and 03 A4 3.0 owner but wanted to share the specs with you folks).

Both tested with the same driver... They found the Evo grippier with a little advantage in handling and braking and found the suspension more tuned and more agressive. Evo has a more agressive gearing. Said it's not 100% like-kind comparo since the STi was barely broken in. The STi is easier to live with on nasty road surfaces. STi is better for high speed

Final comment: "WRX fans will lust after the STi, whatever the Evo can and can't do and vice versa...

STi: They liked a lot the DCCD, comfortable sport seats, grips like spiderman, found bizarre there were no radio, understeered sooner than they thought.
0-60 -- 4.87
1/4 mile -- 13.23 @ 104.6
Braking 60-0ft -- 111

Evo:
0-60 -- 4.59
1/4 mile -- [email protected]
Braking 60-0ft -- 106

Sylvain

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Without a doubt, two great cars. What's odd is that Shiv mentioned that the STi was quicker and faster, and I believe that he compared it to an EVO that output more power than any of the production EVO's that he's dyno'd. So I ind it strange...regardless, glad that they're in the states and available to us.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Holy crap. Very impressive 0-60 times. There are obviously press cars, because I don't think the retail cars are going to be that quick. The 1/4 mile times at that trap means that they are making 282-295 whp (yes, at the wheel!) for the STI and 291-299 whp for the EVO.

I am assuming that both cars are around 3300 pounds.

CoOlSlY said:
radio, understeered sooner than they thought.
0-60 -- 4.87
1/4 mile -- 13.23 @ 104.6
Braking 60-0ft -- 111

Evo:
0-60 -- 4.59
1/4 mile -- [email protected]
Braking 60-0ft -- 106

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I am suspicious of these results....

·
Registered
866 Posts
The STi is Sexy Apparently

Here's the C&D one from here:
Here are the ratings:

STi EVO

Engine 10 8

Transmission 8 9

Brakes 8 9

Handling 8 9

Ride 8 7

Driver comfort 7 8

ergonomics 8 8

Features and amenities 9 7

fit and finish 8 7

styling 8 8

value 8 8

fun to drive 8 10

OVERALL RATING 88 91

Performance Data:

STi EVO

0-60 4.6 5.0

0-100 12.4 13.5

0-130 24.5 28.5

1/4 mile [email protected] [email protected]

5-60 street start 5.8 6.7

top gear 30-50 10.9 11.7

top gear 50-70 8.1 8.5

top speed 145 gov. 156 redline

braking 70-0 166' 157'

1.1 mi. course lap time/mph 1:04.34/ 61.5 1:04.18/61.7

0.9 mi. off road lap time/mph 48.89/66.3 48.62/66.6

roadholding 300' pad, g 0.90 0.90

emergency land change maneuver mph 72.5 71.5

Punk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks like a dead heat between the two. STi just a little quicker but basically only noticeable on the watch, not on the street. Didn't know STi had a top speed governor...Damn! Gonna have to find someone to take care of that.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
WOW :eek: , ok i honestly dont think that the evo is coming out to be better then the STi....wtf is up with that? I mean the STi has way much more capabilitys then the evo, its just given in the package! I would like to go test drive that evo! and the STi.....then again i dont like the way DSM's look now. What i mean is look at there AWD cars like the 1st G car there fallen apart and the cars are jus big POS's what about the evo is it going to turn into a car like its old predessers.........?? Alls i know is just the options in the STi are sick and i know that the STi is a very capeable car that hasnt been opened yet! and trust me im sure theres a surprise that SOJ wants us to hunt it down to un tweak it to surprise the nation and flip off the testers who made it sit at its supposdly limit!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
AHHHHHH(pulls hair outta head!!!!) ok now i saw a japan magazine at my buddys house in chicago and it shows the STi Vs the evo8 both US-specs and the STi ran a 12.5!!!!in the quarter STOCK!!!?!?!?! Now either some people know how to drive and some DONT? and im starten to wonder maybe if i drive it maybe i can hit 12's????

this shiet is driven me crazy , just give me my car and ill be happy with my own results! :x :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
12.5 stock is not possible, at least not with only 300bhp. A viper, with 500+ bhp runs about 12.5, and the viper is only 3380 pounds.

FasStAsS_sTi said:
AHHHHHH(pulls hair outta head!!!!) ok now i saw a japan magazine at my buddys house in chicago and it shows the STi Vs the evo8 both US-specs and the STi ran a 12.5!!!!in the quarter STOCK!!!?!?!?! Now either some people know how to drive and some DONT? and im starten to wonder maybe if i drive it maybe i can hit 12's????

this shiet is driven me crazy , just give me my car and ill be happy with my own results! :x :lol:

·
Registered
191 Posts
The reason why the STI has a "bad" 1/4 time is that one has to shift at that trap speed. I believe it is from 5th to 6th gear.

·
Registered
541 Posts
OK, so Motor Trend says the Evo is quicker, and C&D says the STi is quicker.

4.59 seconds to 60 and 13.08 at 105 mph is NOT a 271 hp car at 3300 lb. The 4.6 time is more believable for the STi, though, since the UK STi PPP put down similar numbers and has the same power and torque as us.

How could C&D's Evo be that much slower than MT's car? The C&D numbers are comparable to what the Evo has been doing in general, but I don't believe MT's car is production-spec for a second. Half a second in both 0-60 and the 1/4 is pretty significant regardless of different conditions/temperatures/altitudes, etc.

The handling comparison, however, is pretty much what we all knew and expected.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just want to mention... I also think that people here should consider how Motor Trend usually do their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

R&T usually state how they managed their times on the bottom of their page like
"Best time was achieved via a 5000RPM drop clutch" (not something somebody would do with their car, neither Silencer I guess). If that's the case, maybe the Evo has a better response with a drop clutch at this RPM. Unfortunatly, Motor Trend were just stating the numbers, no explanation.

Also, as said in my post, I won't have neither of them but I personnally think the STi has more for the money considering the small price diffirence. DCCD in real life driving is not necessary but the 2.5L will prove significant benifits either if the STi don't have twin-scroll for a daily driver.

Just my 2 cents,

I'll scan the article tonight and post it near 7h30 EST.

Sylvain

·
Registered
14 Posts
do u know what..screw those testers....when we get the STi's we will show the evo its more about the driver when it is this close.
and if they were to do any tests like this, i think they should choose someone that has driven the car for a while and has gotten used to the cars feeling and the clutch

O4STi

1 - 20 of 30 Posts