IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to make a journal on my 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited build so here it is.

I bought it from an older gentleman who was the original owner. When he bought it new, he opted to get the top of the line model with all the accessories he was able to add. So, it is the Limited Edition model, and from the factory it came installed with an SPT Cat-Back Exhaust, SPT Short Throw Shifter, and SPT Boost Gauge. The only additional thing he ever added was a tow bar package he installed on the back and front so he could tow it on the back of his RV occasionally.

Well to get straight to it, after 6 months of ownership I am at about 335 whp and 380 ft lbs. torque on E85 / Flex Fuel at 21 psi. Although when it was tuned, I had some 93 Octane in it so I was only at about 55% Ethanol.

These are my performance mods I have added (PLUS the SPT parts already on it mentioned above):
1. COBB Accessport V3
2. COBB SF Intake with SF Airbox
3. COBB 3" Catted Downpipe
4. COBB 1050x Fuel Injectors
5. AEM's 340lph E85-Compatible High Flow Fuel Pump
6. MAC 3-Port EBCS
7. Innovate Motorsports MTX-D: Ethanol Content Percentage & Fuel Temp Gauge Kit
8. Flex Fuel Tuned by Graham at Boosted Performance Tuning

Supporting Mods:
1. Full Engine Rebuild with Manley Forged Pistons and King Bearings
2. IAG Performance Street Series Air/Oil Separator

(Typical Subi Bro)Exterior Mods:
1. Rally Armor UR Mud Flaps
2. Hella Horns with Perrin Bracket
3. Subaru OEM Rain Guards
4. Subaru OEM Roof Rack
5. COBB Tuning Front License Plate Delete

The dyno graph shows 3 separate runs:

1. Baseline Run, No Tune and Before Any mods with the exception of the SPT Exhaust that it came installed with, and a drop-in K&N air filter.
2. Tune with all the mods installed, Only on 93 Octane.
3. Tune with all mods on Ethanol.

What really surprised me the most (At First) is how low the stock numbers are. Given that whp is usually about 15% lower than crank numbers, it would have put this at 278 HP and not the Subaru claimed 305 HP. BUT after a little research and reading a few articles, I learned that it's actually about 25% lower for AWD so this puts it at around 315 HP with just exhaust and filter. Learn something new every day because I did not know this.

Right after the baseline dyno run I actually had it tuned as well (this is before any mods were installed). So just with a tune, it went from 236.2whp to 278.8whp and 252.2 ft lbs. to 296.4 ft lbs. at 19 psi. That is a very impressive gain and shows how restrictive the factory tune is. I have the dyno graph for this too in case anyone wants to see it.

I love how it performs now, it's definitely one of the funner cars I have owned so far.
I am planning on sticking with the current set up I have for now. Cosmetically, I'll probably change out those ugly chrome headlights for some blacked-out ones (any good suggestions?), and fix that bottom front bumper lip crack (from the previous owner smh). If/When I do change something else, I'll definitely update this.
I do want to focus a little more on my E92 M3 right now since I haven't done any upgrades to her in a couple of years haha.

**A big reason I chose to buy the STI, besides having that legendary Subie rumble and being AWD, is because it's one of the last few cars that still come in a true manual transmission. I've owned quite a few cars and they've all been manual. And until I can't find anymore, they probably always will be.. yeah yeah newer autos are fAsTeR, don't care. #SaveTheManuals

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Nice ride man! I dont see to many purples out there. They look stunning once they're cleaned up nice. Since you already went to forged pistons and upgraded bearings, why not upgrade the turbo and add a ELH + retune. You will gain some real good power that way even on 93octane. Just imagine on E85 lol.

As for your headlight recommendations, ive never been a big fan of aftermarket headlights. I like the oem look that came on the 08-11 sti. Those are the same ones you have just with a black housing and not the chromes.

Oh and i agree #SaveTheManuals

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice ride man! I dont see to many purples out there. They look stunning once they're cleaned up nice. Since you already went to forged pistons and upgraded bearings, why not upgrade the turbo and add a ELH + retune. You will gain some real good power that way even on 93octane. Just imagine on E85 lol.

As for your headlight recommendations, ive never been a big fan of aftermarket headlights. I like the oem look that came on the 08-11 sti. Those are the same ones you have just with a black housing and not the chromes.

Oh and i agree #SaveTheManuals
Thanks man. I definitely still need to give it a good wax though, it's been raining like every other day where I'm at so it's hard to keep it clean right now :( lol.

Upgraded turbo will probably be my next power mod, but probably won't be for sometime since I did all the upgrades on it in a short amount of time, and it was quite expensive. The one thing I regret not doing is spending the extra $1,000 for a closed deck block. But with the full rebuild and upgraded internals, it should still handle a good amount of power. Definitely able to easily handle what I have now.

I didn't know that about the headlights, why would they change from black to chrome in mid-production? Any 08-11 wanna trade?? :LOL:. I'm going to try to find some earlier model ones then because I like how they look, it's just the chrome that bugs me. So if I can go black housing and still be OEM then that's a plus for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts