IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- Some of you are going to think this is blasphemy, especially coming from my mouth, but I thought I would say it anyway and hopefully send a message to SOA:

If the price goes north of 35K, then I WILL start considering other cars. 350Z, EVO, RX8, G35, IS 300, and some others are on my short list as backups. Not to mention I could probably lease a M3 or Z06 for around what the monthly payments would be at this price point...

If the price goes north of 32K, I will think about the others.

This is coming from THE OWNER of this site, that's right. The head STi nut. :)

I really mean this- I am not trying to start a big thread or anything. I am serious. So SOA better take note- because if I, ME, am thinking this then I expect others are as well.

Ok, spoke my peace...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Double Amen. I love WRC, I love the STi and have been praying for it to come, but over $32k and I will test drive a six speed G35 sedan, maybe even a BMW 330i. I might even consider the EVO VIII for $28k...

The list of quality cars in this price range is larger than I can ever remember it being and all of them are based on cars designed to be priced at $30k. The Impreza was not.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm with ya too on the pricing. It would really suck if the STi is over 32K or if the dealers gouge the MSRP. If that is the case, I doubt i'll consider anything else. Maybe the EVO, but i'd have to drive one to make my decision. I just can't get into the EVO as much as the STi. Otherwise, i'll still have fun with my DSM and R6!

·
Registered
575 Posts
same here!

I totally agree :) but my thing is even more strict, because ive been breaking it down to my self alot :) and i thing 32K is too much because by the time you are done with taxes and dealership charges I feel the car is out on deep water.

30 is just right

32 with all the hassles paid for!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
yxan2 said:
I totally agree :) but my thing is even more strict, because ive been breaking it down to my self alot :) and i thing 32K is too much because by the time you are done with taxes and dealership charges I feel the car is out on deep water.

30 is just right

32 with all the hassles paid for!!
I agree. $32k MAX. out the door with stereo & security system options, & I'm in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i guess i can't understand this sentiment. maybe someone can help me?
i look at things this way- the car's focus is obviously performance. looking at other cars that match the sti in acceleration, for example, yields a short list of peers. the few that spring to my mind are the z06, m3, and some exotics. basically, if you cut out everything above $50K, the sti and the evo are the only things left (unless i'm forgetting something). which makes me think that either: a) performance isn't important to you, and you like some other aspect of the sti, or b) you consider the evo a viable alternative.
if you like the evo enough to buy it, more power to you. i loved the evo v and really liked the evo vi. i could tolerate the vii, but the viii is fugly in my book. checking it out in person turned me off even more. the wing looks cheesy, the interior is kinda cheap, and i don't care for the colors i've seen so far.
i guess what i don't understand is why people are complaining so much... i mean, if you don't wanna pay it, don't. if you think it's overpriced, fine. but this board already has people whining in plenty of threads about how they won't pay this much or such-and-such is too much. i mean, i don't think there's been any official or semi-official msrp estimates below $32K, am i wrong? i'd say if you don't want to pay that, your energy will probably be better-spent in other pursuits...

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I pretty much agree with everyone on this, even Miked801.

I do feel that the car is the best performance bang for the buck, but I also feel that there are more reliable cars, luxurious cars, better looking cars, more dignified name cars ( this means little to me).

The STi is a great car, but to ask much more than around $30 would be ridiculous. Look at this way with a balance beam in mind. Take the Lexus IS300 MT.

sporty ^ luxury, name, reliability, service, looks,

Obviously, the Lexus is heavily weighted on the luxury and name side. Its a little short on the sport side, but not bad.

Now, look at the STi

Raw performance, 300/300, AWD ^ tactile feel, luxury, etc

The STi is like a car like the IS, but has given up on the luxury and put that money into performance. Sure, outright numbers are nice, especially since the nearest comparison is closer to $45-$50 (save for the Evo), but now are the times in autodom where a $20 Dodge Neon will consistently beat a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette of yester-year day in and day out. Performance has gotten cheap. Heck, look at those Honda Civics with turbo kits...a lot of them would give a stock WRX a run for its money and those Civics with mods cost much less than a stock WRX.

Last word. I feel that the STi is the best car on the road for the money and my auto preferences, but it is just a car..and for most people, something they will have to live with as a daily driver. Most people don't care about sheer numbers/performance b/c they aren't our age and those that are older and still interested are typically a rare-breed with a serious love for autos and performance. Most people (my dad included) had a wild teen life with fast muscle cars but as you get older you start to realize that you need to be a frugal consumer and spend your money on the best OVERALL object.

·
Registered
858 Posts
dudes/dudettes,

with all due respect, SOA surprised us with 2.5/300hp.

we all thought 2.0l and 260-270hp.

then BAM!

therefore, i believe the STi will be UNDER 30. this will rape mistu and the evo. twice within 6 months!!!!

:evil:

i repeat, $29.995 MSRP. only the radio option will bump it over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As for me, I have 3 options. First if the base is 32k, loaded for 33K, the have a sale. If the base is 33k+, then I wil belooking at a G35, or an A6. I have been holding out for a WRX or STi for a few years now, and the trigger has to be pulled. For me, it is either the call of the wild, STi, or the call of age, G35, A6. Last gasp at youth and all. The WRX is kinda out of the question now. It would spend more time in the shop being modded than me driving it. Whatever I buy next will not be modded...except for simple stuff (gauges, wheels - tires..ect). I am getting too old to carry the standard now, time to let one of you young sprigh(?) whipper-snappers carry it on to the next hill.... :cry:

Poirot...getting old and showing it

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
ldivinag said:
dudes/dudettes,

with all due respect, SOA surprised us with 2.5/300hp.

we all thought 2.0l and 260-270hp.

then BAM!

therefore, i believe the STi will be UNDER 30. this will rape mistu and the evo. twice within 6 months!!!!

:evil:

i repeat, $29.995 MSRP. only the radio option will bump it over.
This sounds like it makes sense...but read above in case.... :evil:

You're probably right. If you were on this site prior to release there were some pretty intense people in the forums...yikes!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since we're on the subject of some of us getting old. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one thinking of other cars. Unfortunately for me, I'm getting old with a wife and 2 kids (2.5 y/o and 2.5 m/o). So that means I'm on a tighter budget, need the 4 doors. Don't get me wrong, even at $35-36k base MSRP the STI is still worth it. That doesn't mean I can afford it. I used to think, if I can't afford the STI then I will settle less for the WRX (which I also think is a great car). But I will never feel the same about the WRX that I will own when I'm lusting about the STI. Sure, I can mod it and even make it to have more HP. I still won't feel the same.

So WRX is out because I will feel like I settled for something less. So get a different car! G35c and 350Z out because its a 2 door. RX-8, 4 doors but still cramped with 2 car seats in the back plus I don't like the torque numbers. Evo, well somebody said it, "fugly". IS300, well there's something to think about.

Yes, some people are bitching and whining about prices, including me. That's because of all the anxiety and uncertainty most of us are feeling. Some have funds and will pay whatever for the STI and I'm very excited for them. But I guess for most of us in this site I can relate to. Bitching and whining is a very healthy way for people to let some of that anxiety out which I have JJ and moderators to thank for giving us this site to let some of our anger out.

At the end, it all boils down to "can I afford it?". But for now this site prevents me from going postal.

thanks for letting me rant. My wife would have told me to "get over it!" right from the start.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'd like to echo JJ's thoughts on this issue. I've been a long time lurker on this site - currently driving an '02 VW Passat 4Motion, which is a great car. Problem is, it's not much fun to drive! With a 35mile (each way) backroads commute in snowy CT I need an AWD vehicle w/a manual transmission (tried auto on the VW - what a mistake). So - I was focusing my att'n on several diff't options.....330xi, A4, and the W8 4Motion (which is rumored to be available in a "Sport" manual mid'03) in roughly that order. The WRX just didn't appeal to me too much, so the research contiunued. Then I heard rumors of a "new" WRX that was coming to mkt. Did some more snooping, found this site, and have been a daily reader ever since. This car is exactly what I was looking for I thought. At the 30-32k price it can't be matched in terms of performance, it's got the AWD, stick - perfect. Now I'm hearing more and more that it may be priced a bit higher, maybe even north of 35k. Well, as psyched as I am for the STi (I've had a 1k deposit down since 1/11 - Java black w/gunmetal) at 35k or north I will SERIOUSLY weigh my other options. I think the 325xi comes in around that price, I know the A4 loaded is right in that same neighborhood....granted, you're losing performance...but gaining some creature comforts and saving some coin. I love the STi...the looks, everything.....but anything higher than 32k is going to be a tough sell for this buyer. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
STi pricing....

The list of other cars to look at....my list anyway

350Z
G35 coupe (wow, what a car)
WRX with lots of goodies

But ya know what...none of those are the STi and I am so in love with this car, I don't know that I can even drive another car. We can talk all big and bad about "I won't pay over 32k", but ya know what guys, short of them raping us, I think I'll rape and pillage for the car.

Sorry.....I caved! But when you dream STi during the day and night when you haven't seen/driven the car yet....it's not something a few k is going to keep me from.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't really even need a car, just want one. I already have my truck. As for the price I'm hoping for around 32k base price. Still 32k is alot of money and makes for a large payment that I don't have to have. If the STi is more than 32k I will probably go for a WRX or a RSX. Why spend the same amount of money for something I don't need. I only need an STi if the price is right :) I don't like Mitsubishi quality so the Evo is out.

In todays uncertain job market, the less liabilities I have the better.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Already been decided on my side of the pond..the STi given the right price (around $32K or less so that with TTL and shipping it won't be more than $35K)...
otherwise I'll get a full loaded 330i for the same price (given the military sales prices here).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Take this for what it's worth - at the STi shindig this morning at the Portland Auto Show (they let about 40 or so people in before the show started and let everyone sit in it, gave out STi hats, etc.), the announcer-woman stated mid-30s. I can't remember ever hearing anything about a price from a Subaru representative before (has Subaru stated mid-30s before?). Anyway, that was the first *I* heard from anyone connected to Subaru saying mid-30s. I'm not happy with that at all, and, in fact, I will not buy one if that's truly the case. And I too have been looking forward to this car for a long time.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
STI wagon?

They were quoting low-30's in Detroit, but did mention mid 30's. They are just testing the waters, I think...

·
Registered
11 Posts
danc said:
Take this for what it's worth - at the STi shindig this morning at the Portland Auto Show (they let about 40 or so people in before the show started and let everyone sit in it, gave out STi hats, etc.), the announcer-woman stated mid-30s. I can't remember ever hearing anything about a price from a Subaru representative before (has Subaru stated mid-30s before?). Anyway, that was the first *I* heard from anyone connected to Subaru saying mid-30s. I'm not happy with that at all, and, in fact, I will not buy one if that's truly the case. And I too have been looking forward to this car for a long time.
I was there as well, and "mid thirties" was the word. That means, to my mind, from 33k to 37k. So most of you had better start thinking of your alternatives. I have planned all along to wait 1-2 years and purchase one at that point. 35k seems quite reasonable to me. Everyone I've spoken to, when I've described the car and then the 35k price, says "wow, that's a good deal!".

As a daily driver, the STi should be comparable to the WRX, which has been great to me so far. That level of performance comes with a price tag. In the case of the STi, the price tag of 'mid thirties' is mind-blowingly low.

Electronic center and rear diff
viscous front dif
AWD
2.5T
300 HP and 300 torque at 4000RPM!
Adjustable center dif
adjustable headlight level
inverted suspension

Hauls 4 comfortably.

Now, up here in rain country, nothing comes close to that. 50k or more for an Audi or BMW with less performance. RWD vette that seats 2.

come on, people. The era of something for nothing isn't that near yet.

growl

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pigs

I spoke with a sales rep tonight at a local Michigan Auto show that seemed to be as excited about the forthcoming STI as I am. They are also a Mitsubishi dealer. They told me they were hearing $35k base price and $36-37K with popular "options" like radio and air.

They also mentioned that they were told the DCCD would only be covered under warranty for 1 year.

I hope both of these rumors are false, but they also said Subaru representatives told them it would do 0-60 in 4.4! They claimed 4.6 for the Mitsu Evolution.

Please SOA tell us the details now!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts