IW STi Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1098 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
Re: JJ's 2005 OBP/Black Diamond RE's - Full Race Header/JDM Fogs added! -2.5XTR TUNED

Nice build JJ!! When I was looking at your parts list I thought I was looking at mine. Our builds look really similar as far as parts. By the way I have a set of brand new coil overs for sale if you are interested.
Thanks, I checked out your build as well and wish you well!
Still debating on coilovers or not but thanks for the note.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,042
Re: JJ's 2005 OBP/Black Diamond RE's - Full Race Header/JDM Fogs added! -2.5XTR TUNED

I have a new steering wheel being modified by JPM coachworks to be part alcantra and part leather. My current steering wheel is peeling on the top after 9+ years of use!

While I'm at it, I'm sending my brake boot and JDM shift boot to be updated with alcantra/leather mix.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

Pictures of steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,044

Pictures of steering wheel.
Will do once it arrives!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,045

Looks for Ohlins Fixed perch struts...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Really not sure at this point. It's more of the fact that the car is approaching 10 years of age and I'm on the stock struts for the front and my springs are saggining (JDM pinks).
If they're too low, you could just try the stock springs. If memory serves me correctly, my stock springs were always a nice 13.75" front and rear from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender. I never or barely had the saggy butt that everyone complains about.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,047 (Edited)

If they're too low, you could just try the stock springs. If memory serves me correctly, my stock springs were always a nice 13.75" front and rear from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender. I never or barely had the saggy butt that everyone complains about.
I'm pretty sure they're sagging from long term use. Not sure if its related to anything else.

If I'm able to locate a set of Ohlin's I'll be purchasing new RCE blacks to go with them. It's a shame RCE didn't find ROI/value in working with the GD crowd on a set of compatible struts... I need to source old/used parts to make this work (something I usually avoid).

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,048

JPM Coachworks goodies in the mail!

I had the steering wheel, shift boot, brake boot and arm-rest done in a leather/alcantra combo.
Looks amazing in person! The steering wheel will be installed next week at EFI Logics.

Pictures below!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,049

Will have some installed pictures up soon. Got the car back from EFI Logics the other day and finally had some gauges that were collecting dust installed on the a-pillar.

I'm keeping my eye on the HVT Coilover option from TIC. May consider jumping in their 2nd round of orders.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,050

Mod list updated...

Finally had EFI install my remaining gauges that have been sitting around.
DEFI BF Amber Oil Temperature Metric (was sent wrong one) - A-pillar mounted
DEFI BF Fuel Pressure Imperial - A-pillar mounted
AEM A/F Ratio Gauge - A-pillar mounted

I am officially done with gauges... more than necessary at this point!
Will update with pictures of the gauges installed as well as the JPM Coachworks interior items installed.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,051

Dealing with white smoke at cold start for about 10 seconds and it goes away, but a burning smell exists after it does.
Took it to EFI for an oil change and checkup and had a lower radiator hose leak fixed but the white smoke still exists (likely coolant). Still TBD on how small or big of an issue this may be.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts

Still TBD on how small or big of an issue this may be.
god speed, sniper!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,054

So... it's been awhile but I have an update on the motor.
The issues I was experiencing were in fact a problem and after failing a compression test for cylinder #4 (I can't recall results), the block has been taken apart at IAG and these were the findings:

GENERAL DESCRIPTION / CAUSE OF FAILURE:
#4 Piston ringland failure
Piston damaged (in same cylinder) - Scoring / Damage to cylinder walls

So after 10 years, and 75k miles the stock block is being rebuilt. Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,055

With Chris05STi's help, it's undergoing a motor transplant at IAG Performance in Maryland.
This is the Stage 2 "Tuff" block they offer but re-utilizing my existing block.

Manley 99.75mm Platinum Series Pistons, Ringset, Tool Steel Pins and Clips (w/ Coated Skirts and Offset Wrist Pin)
Manley H-Tuff Forged Connecting Rods w/ ARP Rod Bolts (Heavier Version of H-beam Rods)
New FHI Subaru Heat-Treated 2012+ STI Crankshaft
ACL Race Rod Bearings
ACL Race Main Bearings
New FHI Main Case Bolts
ARP Head Stud kit
IAG Billet Half Moon Seal Valve cover
IAG Timing Belt Kit
IAG Billet Timing belt guide
New FHI Subaru 11MM oil pump
Multi-Angle Valve Job, Clean Heads, Deck, Set Bench Valve Lash
IAG Spec Bore and Hone Block to 99.75mm (Performed on in house Sunnen SV-10)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,056

Picking up car on Saturday...

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,057

Picking up car on Saturday...
I had a 4 hour trip from IAG and I have to say the car is running quite well. ~300 miles into the break-in and 200 to go before first oil change.
Will be scheduling a re-tune around 1000-1500 miles with Mikey.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,058

~650 miles into the break-in looking forward to the tune.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,059
Re-tune scheduled for Saturday, February 13th at EFI Logics.

I'm at about 900 miles on the break-in, should be just over 1,000 by that point. Looking forward to the tune, I've been riding around with a CEL on the base map and it doesn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy to see that every time I drive the car.

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Can't wait to see it after the tune Goomba. Wish I was there to see it get tuned!

1041 - 1060 of 1098 Posts