IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1098 Posts

·
3,283 Posts
I vote for the V-Limited. I have it on my OBP and I love it. Plus OEM fitment FTW! I got mine used on NASIOC for $250. If you wait you can probably find a great deal on one used and then you won't feel so bad when it gets scraped, etc.

http://iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?p=592957#post592957 has some pics of it on my car, and there are a few others I can dig up if you want.

I have the same Prodrive rear diff protector + Cusco/STi diffuser kit combo and it works great. :)

I also like that UK grille, I was going to get it but since I'm planning on a FMIC in ~ a year I figure there isn't much point. :(

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Thanks for the feedback kts262. Your car has some awesome mods, glad to see that the cusco diffuser kit / prodrive protector work well together.

I think that I've come down to choosing the V-limited lip. I was looking at the V-limited replica in Carbon fiber offered by E-auto thanks to essteayee's suggestion. The quality looked very good, and I was interested in the CF. I contacted E-auto and the bottom line was $439 shipped. I just can't fathom that price for a replica. This was further emphisized when tonight rallysportdirect listed the V-limited for $479 shipped.

After contemplating the situation I think the autentic route is the best choice for that price. Just need to contact them tomorrow to finalize the purchase and I will have a V-limited on the way! Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Update:

Called rallysportdirect this morning and ordered the V-limited lip for $479.00 shipped! I just couldn't beat the price and had to do it. The carbon fiber replica I looked at was $440 shipped, and the price difference between the authentic and replica were too close.

Pics when it arrives! For now:

·
3,283 Posts
Sweet! Glad you went with the V-Limited. It'll look awesome on the car and it's an easy install. Mine didn't come with any instructions since it was used but I got under there and quickly figured it out. I used a few spare bolts and had it on there in no time flat. Yours will come with the extra install bits so it'll be an even better install. I think I had a copy of the install guide somewhere on my PC if your lip doesn't come with them and you want them. Let me know.

And $479 shipped is an awesome deal for the V-Limited! :)

At first I liked the look of the stock front w/ the side splitters. I couldn't imagine my car with a lip on it. Then I got the V-Limited and now I can't imagine it without it on there. ;)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
nice choice on the lip! $440 shipped seems a bit much for the cf replica lip. i got mine for $300 shipped. v-lim is going to look awesome though!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
BlueGold said:
With respect to your turbo did you port it and/or make any modifications to it prior to installing your TBE??

Nope, nothing at all done to the turbocharger. I contemplated the idea way back when, but the fact of the matter is that this is my daily driver, and I couldn't afford downtime. I do though have the static x turbowrap around it though to keep some heat retention.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
lokutus1 said:
nice choice on the lip! $440 shipped seems a bit much for the cf replica lip. i got mine for $300 shipped. v-lim is going to look awesome though!
Thanks, I just couldn't fathom paying $440 for a replica, when the real thing was $479. The replica that I found to be the best in my opinion was the E-auto replica, but the price was simply outrageous. $300 shipped like yours would have been a lot more appealing! I'm excited about the v-limited, it's supposed to be here tomorrow :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
Nope, nothing at all done to the turbocharger. I contemplated the idea way back when, but the fact of the matter is that this is my daily driver, and I couldn't afford downtime. I do though have the static x turbowrap around it though to keep some heat retention.
Thanks for the information. Like you my STi is my daily driver so I can't afford much downtime. My plan is very similar to yours. I plan to go with the Crucial downpipe because it is heat coated. I have no plans to move to a FMIC so heat control is very important to me. For the time being I might keep my stock mid-pipe (second cat) but I wasn't sure if I went with Crucials mid-pipe with cat if I would have to deal with boost creep. That's what I'm afraid of. I figure with no EM and the downpipe I would have better spool at least. Then once I install some EM I can go from there. I was thinking Borla catback or keeping the stock catback. However, with your experience I may replace the stock mid-pipe as well. Decisions, decisions...

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Going to have some new pics posted tomorrow!

Things that have been INSTALLED since my last update;

*Authentic V-Limited Lip
*Cusco Rear Diffuser Kit (Cusco subframe brace, diffuser brackets, 06' rear diffuser)
*Prodrive Rear Differential Protector
*Hella Horns :devil:

What needs to be installed:
*TIC Pivot bushings
*1 new Group N front strut top (broke 1 front strut top's screw)

....Pics Tomorrow. :tup:

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Bump for the Pics of the V-Limited....I want to know how it will look on a Black STi!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Working on the pics guys... I do have my camera with me at college, it's a matter of me going up to the parking lot... but I also need to give it a wash first ;)... SOON.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Well still no news regarding additional pictures :(

But... Info on new Mods that have been ordered :)

Yesterday I purchased from [email protected] :tup:

APS Headers
APS SR 375 TMIC

The headers will be coated as well.

Several weeks ago I also purchased an Invidia V2 Downpipe from [email protected], and that will be coated as well. It has been sitting in my car's backseat for several weeks now lol. When the headers arrive, we will go from there. The Crucial pipes will most likely be sold. I will be going catless.

This is a several step plan ahead.

I have the:

APS Headers, APS TMIC, Invidia V2 DP, and Deastchwerks 740cc injectors ready for use. Next month a 3" Deadbolt 20G is in store with a retune!

I purchased used TGV's that will be sent out for porting and cleaning to be able to run a 3" inlet 20G. The inlet will be run with my current APS Inlet.

Also My current APS CAI "65MM" will be replaced with a 70MM APS CAI for the protune.

I have been taking a piece by piece approach, and will run several parts on my current Protune for several weeks (APS headers, and APS TMIC). When all of these parts are on the car though, the car will be Protuned once again.
My goal is for the upcoming protune in December:

Invidia V2 DP coated
APS Headers coated/wrapped?
APS SR375 TMIC
APS Inlet
JDM TGV Risers coated
Deadbolt 20G TD06 3" Inlet - Possibly clipped turbine per recommendation of [email protected]
APS 70MM CAI
Deatschwerks 740 cc Injectors
Maddad Whisper Catback
Retune; Hopefully done by Automaster/ and or XXtuning.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
You might want to port the downpipe before you install it.

I have the Perrin one and I spend many hours wioth a welder and die-grinder before installing it.

The problem I found (and it seems even more of an issue in the pics you posted) is that the wastegate does not send it's exhaust straight out to the hole in the DP. It is a circular door that is on a hinge, and it spends most of it's time partly open. What this means is that the wastegate door is continuously deflecting exhaust off the wastegate door and oputwards towards the sides of the turbo housing. The gasses then must make a very sharp "U" turn and head back towards the center (right behind the wastegate door) and then make yet another sharp turn to go down the tube in your DP. The flow would only be smooth if the door were fully open (0% duty cycle). Even then much of it would hit the edges of the hole in the flange.

I ported the tar outa mine, so the mouth of that hole was much larger. It came with a hole that wasn't even as large as the tube. I first ported it out to the size of the tube and then flared it out even farther so the flange was acting as a bellmouth. I used the old gasket to make sure I wsn't going too far. Later I pulled it off and in the pics below you can see what areas the exhaust gasses "see".

I like the Invidia divorced wastegate a bit better I think, and recenty I saw the Air Power Systems one. Holy smokes,...that one is the mack! Unfortunately you must use their entire system or do some fabbing to make it work.

Here's a pic of the finished product on my car. I have absolutely NO boost creep or spikes. The boost curve (as dataloged by a laptop with a data-cable from ECUTEK) looks like a draftsman drew a perfect curve on a piece of paper.

You may also want to keep an eye on your car. I'm thinking of going over to your place and stealing those wheels. Those bad boys are sick. Kudos!

Stock (note how the hole isn't even as big as the pipe)

Ported a bit I also welded up the vane to make a smoother transition to the tube.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Duckstu, Thanks for the all the comments, and information! The only thing is that the Invidia V2 downpipe that I purchased is the Bellmouth, not the divorced bellmouth :). The information you posted is excellent for someone with an Invidia V3, or an divorced wastegate, so I hope someone comes across that!
:)

81 - 100 of 1098 Posts