IW STi Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
Hey I like the log, silver enkeis look great in the white car, despite that crazy sidewall height (j/k). Really like your description of stage 1 too btw, most helpful one I’ve seen.

I’m on the fence on some x-1’s too, was looking at the hyperco springs and long travel, Geoff recommended the caster plates as well. They sound awesome for autocross, just throwing that out there as dynamic camber may be nice on a track also (maybe Karlot can comment, not sure if steering angles would be enough for it to come into play). What are you planning for rear lower control arms?

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Hey I like the log, silver enkeis look great in the white car, despite that crazy sidewall height (j/k). Really like your description of stage 1 too btw, most helpful one I’ve seen.

I’m on the fence on some x-1’s too, was looking at the hyperco springs and long travel, Geoff recommended the caster plates as well. They sound awesome for autocross, just throwing that out there as dynamic camber may be nice on a track also (maybe Karlot can comment, not sure if steering angles would be enough for it to come into play). What are you planning for rear lower control arms?
Thanks man! The sidewalls seemed so large to me at first, visually it was bugging the crap out of me. Now that I'm used to seeing them, everything else looks like rubber bands. I think when I lower the car a bit it will look better. I love having the extra sidewall for city driving, so much smoother, quieter, and takes bumps and potholes like a champ.

I haven't put too much research into LCA's, but the ISC's have caught my eye. What are you looking out for LCAs?

Also, with the Cyngus price increase and depending how much more Geoff raises them, it might put me in a different "price bracket" and I'll have to see what other coil-overs compete with them at that price point. I'm also looking at the RCE GTWORX Trophy Cups which start at around $1900. These use Bilstein components, but I can't find many reviews of them.

Edit: These look interesting too: HKS Hypermax S

· Registered
2,142 Posts

i'll be honest, i havent autocrossed on the x1's, i have done trackcross events (think autocross timer on a road course, utilizing the whole road course minus the back/front straight). i have the caster/camber plates on all 4 corners and it was well worth it to me. if all i did was street driving, the rear probably wouldnt be needed, the fronts i'd still want though.

· Registered
207 Posts
Yeah I can imagine the sidewall is nice on crap roads. I’m imagining I’ll feel it when I hit worms on the 35 sidewalls if I add coilovers.

For rear LCAs it seems like you can get the threaded adjustment style, and have the pillowballs get beat to hell as a daily, or get the cam adjustment style and have them slip. I like the looks of the Cuscos though. ISC is probably nice but there’s a review on rally sport where someone struggled to use them with FA500s (essentially x-1s). Never know if it was just a clueless installer though.

On the price point increase that does make sense to see what else becomes comparable. The RCE stuff is probably nice but kind of a pain most doesn’t come with camber plates and a lot of options don’t have much adjustment. The custom sprung ohlins are also interesting, but seem to need more frequent servicing, just based on complete haphazard internet anecdotes though.

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Yeah I can imagine the sidewall is nice on crap roads. I’m imagining I’ll feel it when I hit worms on the 35 sidewalls if I add coilovers.

For rear LCAs it seems like you can get the threaded adjustment style, and have the pillowballs get beat to hell as a daily, or get the cam adjustment style and have them slip. I like the looks of the Cuscos though. ISC is probably nice but there’s a review on rally sport where someone struggled to use them with FA500s (essentially x-1s). Never know if it was just a clueless installer though.

On the price point increase that does make sense to see what else becomes comparable. The RCE stuff is probably nice but kind of a pain most doesn’t come with camber plates and a lot of options don’t have much adjustment. The custom sprung ohlins are also interesting, but seem to need more frequent servicing, just based on complete haphazard internet anecdotes though.
Good point about RCE's not coming with camber plates. The more I look around the more FA's and X-1 seem to be the best option in the Sub $2k price point. I also like the blue of the Cusco LCA, as I start getting serious about my suspension, I'll need to get smart on all this stuff.

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
lol dang i was there yesterday too lol. i do like the new brz they got. i'm curious what they are gonna do to it, their old one was supercharged and it was fun.
Lol...one of these days I'm sure we going to run into each other, I was there around 1030am. Has anyone supercharged an 2nd Gen BRZ FA24 yet? I don't think I've seen one, but I'm sure it would be fun.

· Registered
2,142 Posts
Lol...one of these days I'm sure we going to run into each other, I was there around 1030am. Has anyone supercharged an 2nd Gen BRZ FA24 yet? I don't think I've seen one, but I'm sure it would be fun.
I havent. his old one was a 2015 ish or whatever the first year was of the brz, the supercharger put it to 260whp on their dynojet if i remember correctly. it wasnt super crazy but riding in it was fun. i never got to drive it lol.

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I havent. his old one was a 2015 ish or whatever the first year was of the brz, the supercharger put it to 260whp on their dynojet if i remember correctly. it wasnt super crazy but riding in it was fun. i never got to drive it lol.
As a former employee, do you know when they last did one of those weekend parking lot events at Mach V? I think that would be cool to attend. Next time I'm in I'll ask Dan if he ever plans on doing them again.

· Registered
2,142 Posts
As a former employee, do you know when they last did one of those weekend parking lot events at Mach V? I think that would be cool to attend. Next time I'm in I'll ask Dan if he ever plans on doing them again.
i cant remember, but i think it was pre covid. i think 2018 or 2019 was the last time i went to one. those were always fun events/shows.

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
The Cobb SF is off and I'm back to the stock tune as I wanted to see what stock felt like after driving for 5K miles. I definitely can tell the difference much more than I realized when I first went to Stage 1+. I also found that I like the quietness of the stock air box over the Cobb intake. So now I’ll try Stage 1 for awhile.

5 June 2022: Added HT Autos side skirts and black OEM fender badges:

Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Car

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

It's been two months now on the HKS Hipermax S Coilovers. I think I'm lowered about an 1" up front and .75" in the rear and I'm set right in the middle of the damper adjustments. The ride is smooth, not bouncy, and I don't get any weird noises. I don't track my STI and use it as my daily, so I'm not pushing it hard, but I have taken it to the twisty's and it handles well. Honestly, I don't notice too much of a difference over the stock setup. If anything, they ride a bit better than the OEM setup.

The true test was the wife test. She said nothing, she didn't even know what changed. With the main goal of just lowering the car a bit for looks, I think the HKS's are a good option for a street driven car.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

61 - 80 of 89 Posts