IW STi Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Pardon the late response, appreciate the info! I’m also strongly considering the 8.5“ width versus the 9.5” - was there anything specific that drove you to 8.5” over the 9.5”? Do they fit pretty flush/did you throw any spacers on? Thanks again!
I went with 8.5" as this is my daily and see no track days with the goal of getting a taller tire (for better ride, venturing on dirt roads, and dealing with potholes) without causing issues. A 245/45-18 is an inch taller than the stock set up which changes the final gear ratio and throws off the speedo. I'm not running spacers and it does not sit flush, I'd say a 5mm spacer would make it flush. If on-road/track performance and handling is your primary goal I'd go 9.5. I also think 9.5" wheel with a 265/35 tires looks better on a wheel with a et38-42 offset. Hope this helps!

· Registered
2,142 Posts
Mentally debating on leaving the suspension stock or lowing it a bit with a nice set of coilovers.
coilovers lol. honestly you can keep pretty close to stock ride height on coils, it doesnt have to be slammed. but if you get a set that is valved to your specs (talk to cygnus performance, theirs are made by fortune auto and still hold fortunes warranty), you'll have a set that rides nice and still handles way better than stock.

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
coilovers lol. honestly you can keep pretty close to stock ride height on coils, it doesnt have to be slammed. but if you get a set that is valved to your specs (talk to cygnus performance, theirs are made by fortune auto and still hold fortunes warranty), you'll have a set that rides nice and still handles way better than stock.
I'm going to transition this car from my daily driver to a weekend/track toy in about 2 years, so I'm trying do some things now that I can enjoy while maintaining it's daily drivability, but take advantage of when it's becomes a weekend toy.

So coil overs seems like the next logical step, maybe a rear sway bar too. I was talking to Dan at Mach V a few months back and I believe he was suggesting the GTWORX Trophy Cup's (I honestly can't remember now). However, I've been eyeing the Cygnus X-1 as they seem to have plenty of glowing reviews (I believe from you too).

I definitely don't want to slam it, maybe just .5" as I gained a .5" when I put the taller tires on. I'm mainly concerned with having a good ride, handling, and I guess adjustability with the damper and camber (for future track use). I currently know zero about setting up track suspension, but assume this will be needed.

· Registered
2,142 Posts
I'm going to transition this car from my daily driver to a weekend/track toy in about 2 years, so I'm trying do some things now that I can enjoy while maintaining it's daily drivability, but take advantage of when it's becomes a weekend toy.

So coil overs seems like the next logical step, maybe a rear sway bar too. I was talking to Dan at Mach V a few months back and I believe he was suggesting the GTWORX Trophy Cup's (I honestly can't remember now). However, I've been eyeing the Cygnus X-1 as they seem to have plenty of glowing reviews (I believe from you too).

I definitely don't want to slam it, maybe just .5" as I gained a .5" when I put the taller tires on. I'm mainly concerned with having a good ride, handling, and I guess adjustability with the damper and camber (for future track use). I currently know zero about setting up track suspension, but assume this will be needed.
it will be. but it's not super hard. the good ride/handling will all be in the valving. yes i do vote cygnus (unless you have a HUGE budget lol). but most people dont have that type of budget. the cygnus setup will be custom valved for your car/driving type/spring rate. and you'll be able to go up/down i think 2kg in spring rate (cant remember the lb conversion). I think dan actually bought or has some ownership with a coil brand now, cant remember which. but yes, i have a glowing review for the cygnus x1 coils lol. love mine. and i typically set height with as low as i can get it functionally. I have some gap, which i dont mind. but nothing too crazy on mine. they may end up going up a tad when i step up to 18s. i guess time will tell for that.

· Registered
2021 WRX STI
209 Posts
I use Vinyl that I cut into circles. A little janky and not the cleanest looking solution, but it works. I've been though a bunch of 3M Vinyl trying to match the CWP, but I haven't found an exact match. As seen in the photo below at certain angles it's not too noticeable and very noticeable at other angles.

View attachment 65303
Nice thanks for sharing! I have a 2021 WRB and just feels like I'm making a mistake if I get rid of the wing on the last year WRB STI if I ever decide to sell. lol I saw TX STIG do similar to your method: Exterior - Wing Delete Complete

Think I'm just gonna hunt for some blue vinyl and do the same. Garage kept anyway, so not a huge risk of water intrusion.

· Registered
2021 WRX STI
209 Posts
That seems like a good solution for being able to swap back and forth. Too bad someone doesn’t make paint matched rubber grommets that you can pop in and out!! Thanks for the idea!
I'm amazed after all these years nobody has made some type of kit to delete the wing. I even thought about contacting APR about buying wing mounts and doing something with those...

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
it will be. but it's not super hard. the good ride/handling will all be in the valving. yes i do vote cygnus (unless you have a HUGE budget lol). but most people dont have that type of budget. the cygnus setup will be custom valved for your car/driving type/spring rate. and you'll be able to go up/down i think 2kg in spring rate (cant remember the lb conversion). I think dan actually bought or has some ownership with a coil brand now, cant remember which. but yes, i have a glowing review for the cygnus x1 coils lol. love mine. and i typically set height with as low as i can get it functionally. I have some gap, which i dont mind. but nothing too crazy on mine. they may end up going up a tad when i step up to 18s. i guess time will tell for that.
Thanks for the info! I see that Dan has his own branded springs, he also seems to closely work with the folks at RCE. I don't really want to spend more than 2K on the coilovers, which seems to give me plenty of good options. Geoff at cygnus seems awesome and has been more than helpful when interacting with me. I was initially looking at the "Comfort Editions" but I think I want to get into track stuff down the road now.

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Nice thanks for sharing! I have a 2021 WRB and just feels like I'm making a mistake if I get rid of the wing on the last year WRB STI if I ever decide to sell. lol I saw TX STIG do similar to your method: Exterior - Wing Delete Complete

Think I'm just gonna hunt for some blue vinyl and do the same. Garage kept anyway, so not a huge risk of water intrusion.
I'm amazed after all these years nobody has made some type of kit to delete the wing. I even thought about contacting APR about buying wing mounts and doing something with those...
Given how popular STI wing swaps are, I also wondered why someone hasn't made a simple delete kit also, you'd think you could integrate several styles of lip/duck bill spoilers that utilize the factory holes.

I'm keeping the wing and it will go back on when I retire the STI as my daily. I actually think the Wing looks great on the STI and since the STI is now discontinued, I'd imagine the iconic wing will be desirable. I'm an older dude and this is my daily, so I just like blending in on my commute, something a wingless STI does well, take a look at my last photo...IMO it's a boring looking car without the wing. That was the motivator for me taking the wing off and the fact that I now "street park" my car in a busy area and we get lots of people poking around cars at night. Just one less thing to draw attention to it.

· Registered
2,142 Posts
Thanks for the info! I see that Dan has his own branded springs, he also seems to closely work with the folks at RCE. I don't really want to spend more than 2K on the coilovers, which seems to give me plenty of good options. Geoff at cygnus seems awesome and has been more than helpful when interacting with me. I was initially looking at the "Comfort Editions" but I think I want to get into track stuff down the road now.
i think RCE may have been what i was thinking of. From what i have heard, they are good, but admittedly i dont know much.

for reference, my GD STi has Cygnus X1 Motorsports edition, Hyperco springs 8k (448lb) rear 9k (504lb) front. These are heavier, but they ride better than my past two setups, WAYYYYYY better than my flatout suspension coils that had 7k front and 5k rear, those rode like complete dog shit. and then they were better slightly (comfort wise) over my old tein coils (i THINK they were flex coils, not 100% sure). and those also had 7k front and 5k rear springs. i'm amazed at the valving geoff at cygnus put in, these things ride so much better than i ever imagined, especially with the heavier springs. so they will still be comfortable while performing super well (not fully dialed in they were outperforming my old flatout setup on trackcross tracks, never used the teins for racing)

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
i think RCE may have been what i was thinking of. From what i have heard, they are good, but admittedly i dont know much.

for reference, my GD STi has Cygnus X1 Motorsports edition, Hyperco springs 8k (448lb) rear 9k (504lb) front. These are heavier, but they ride better than my past two setups, WAYYYYYY better than my flatout suspension coils that had 7k front and 5k rear, those rode like complete dog shit. and then they were better slightly (comfort wise) over my old tein coils (i THINK they were flex coils, not 100% sure). and those also had 7k front and 5k rear springs. i'm amazed at the valving geoff at cygnus put in, these things ride so much better than i ever imagined, especially with the heavier springs. so they will still be comfortable while performing super well (not fully dialed in they were outperforming my old flatout setup on trackcross tracks, never used the teins for racing)
What's your thoughts on the 60mm Hydraulic Spring Perches that they offer, worth it? I just saw this posted their IG which kinda sucks, "Unfortunately like everything else in the world our coilovers will soon cost a lot more money. In a little over a week pricing will have to go up by HUNDREDS of dollars. This is something we have no control over. Our suppliers are raising our costs. Aluminum, steel, shipping, manufacturing and everything else has been skyrocketing."

· Registered
2,142 Posts
What's your thoughts on the 60mm Hydraulic Spring Perches that they offer, worth it? I just saw this posted their IG which kinda sucks, "Unfortunately like everything else in the world our coilovers will soon cost a lot more money. In a little over a week pricing will have to go up by HUNDREDS of dollars. This is something we have no control over. Our suppliers are raising our costs. Aluminum, steel, shipping, manufacturing and everything else has been skyrocketing."
well yeah. Prices going up sucks. Yay inflation. Which is crap gov spending causing it. But Idigress

idk much about those perches.They look super nice and now I’m wondering if I should get some and if it would help with corner balancing. Lol

41 - 60 of 89 Posts