IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my 2019 STI Base that I bought new in Jan 2019 w/Recaros and the OEM short shifter. No huge plans for it as I'm happy with it's current performance and handling, just small progressions as I put more miles on it, so this will more of a Journal capturing the little things I do and try out.

Current as Aug 2022:
  • Cobb Big SF Intake
  • Cobb AccessPort W/Stage 1 OTS
  • Cobb Tuning Cat-Back Exhaust
  • Cobb CF Alternator Cover
  • Mach V AccessPort Vent Mount
  • STI Flexible Strut Tower Bar
  • Enkei TSV 18x8.5 w/245/45-18 Continental DWS06 Plus
  • KNS/DBA 4000 Series Brake Rotors (Blank)
  • Hawk HPS 5.0 Brake Pads
  • BaysonR V-Style Front Lip
  • HT Autos Side Skirts
  • OEM Black Fender Badges
  • OEM Black Rear Lettermark
  • OEM USDM Rear Aero Splash Guards
  • 2020 STI Fog Light Bezels

Sky Cloud Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Wingless Mode:
Wheel Tire Cloud Car Sky

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A front lip was in order and being a part that gets scraped up, I didn't want to spend too much on it. BaysonR's cheap front lips did well on my 2016 so I ordered one up.

Rectangle Wood Beige Leather Fashion accessory

I first sprayed it black paint+primer, sanded and repeated until it looked good.

Fluid Liquid Wood Automotive tire Flooring

I found that my jack was too tall to jack up the front, so off the bumper came.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Taking the bumper off made fitting the lip an easy task. Here's the end result, not bad for $120 bucks.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

I'm actually on my second lip as the first one cracked when I went into my driveway too fast. The second time around, I just put it on raw without the paint.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Picked up a couple goodies over the break.

Reflex camera Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Digital camera

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold

The Cobb SF Intake was a simple install and I ran into zero issues, expect maybe the MAF plug being a bit short resulting having to run the wire on top of the filter.
The Mach V Accessport mount fit fairly well, however the back right corner doesn't sit flush, I messed with it for while, but that's the best I could get it.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Speedometer Trip computer

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror

I actually ended up removing the Accessport mount as I have no desire to keep it plugged in and looking at the empty mount bugged me. I purchased the Scosche mount instead so I can just mount it when I need to. I may revisit the Mach V mount in the future if I decide I need to.
Here's the end result.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The felt cardboard fender shrouds are starting to look worn and grungy. First thought was going with some Perrin or Grimmspeed fender shrouds, but I didn't like how they leave some raw fender bits exposed in the engine bay. I picked up these:
Sports equipment Bicycle part Personal protective equipment Font Fashion accessory

It's Cold AF and I don't have a garage so install will have to wait.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In 2020 Subaru revised the Fog light bezels. I never understood why the were called fog light bezels, as the STI doesn't have fog lights. For 2018-2019 owners, it's a simple upgrade that improves the looks of the STI front.

View attachment 64837
View attachment 64838
View attachment 64839
Looking nice so far!

Where did you get those fog light bezels?
I hate the grill and bezels on the MY 2016, and I'm looking to replace mine....

the STi does have an option for fog lights from the factory, mine has them

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looking nice so far!

Where did you get those fog light bezels?
I hate the grill and bezels on the MY 2016, and I'm looking to replace mine....

the STi does have an option for fog lights from the factory, mine has them
Thanks! The PN#s for the the bezels are Part # 57731VA510 and Part # 57731VA500 but they are for the 18+ STI. You can get them from Subaru or places like Rally Sport Direct. I just bought mine from Subaru. Not sure what's available for the 15-17 STI, but I do think the APR Brake duct bezel's are cool, but pricy! I forgot about the 15-17 STI having fog lights!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice photos. Can you provide a quick review/feedback of the Cobb tune & kit after 45k miles of stock power? My car is totally stock and I've been focusing on trying to be a better driver, maybe upgrade the suspension and get lightweight wheels.

Also, can you rotate the the air filter towards the windshield so the MAF sensor is vertical? Should give some slack in the wires.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nice photos. Can you provide a quick review/feedback of the Cobb tune & kit after 45k miles of stock power? My car is totally stock and I've been focusing on trying to be a better driver, maybe upgrade the suspension and get lightweight wheels.

Also, can you rotate the the air filter towards the windshield so the MAF sensor is vertical? Should give some slack in the wires.
Really bored so I wrote a book, for those that won't read it, here are the cliff notes:
  • Cobb’s throttle mapping isn’t great at low speed.
  • Is this worth voiding your warranty? No.
  • What’s my thoughts on the Cobb Intake? It makes cool whooshing sounds.
  • Does it change how the STI drives? Yes, but not much.
  • Is it worth $1200 bucks? Not really, but it depends on your goals.
  • The 2018 RA/2019+ is great in stock form. Stage 1+ OTS makes it better, but not much.

I went into doing the Stage 1+ not looking to improve anything, just to experience how a tune could change the driving experience. Having little experience with modifying performance cars, or even driving other types of performance cars, trying to interpret people’s online reviews or translating a dyno chart into something tangible was difficult for me. My attempt here to convey the change won’t be much better. This is just my uneducated and unexperienced newb opinion, I have little background in this stuff.

So what changed?

The first noticeable change is the throttle input. It’s “I-” mode all the time. The minus after the “I” is because to me it feels even less sensitive than the normal “I” mode at low speeds. I don’t really like it while driving in stop and go traffic, it’s like I’m not giving it enough gas and it’s on the verge of stalling. I didn’t have this issue in stock “I” mode, but maybe I’ll get used to Cobb’s throttle mapping overtime. Outside of low speed driving scenarios, Cobb’s throttle is just fine and it’s nice knowing you’re getting consistent pedal feel in all the modes.

How does it feel?

Have you ever had one those good days with your STI? Maybe it’s a nice cool fall day and temperature is just right and you got a good batch of 93…your car just feels better for some reason, boost is there when you want it to be. If someone were to do the Cobb Stage 1 tune without telling me (and kept the drive modes the same of course), that’s how I would best describe it. The change is not profound, but power delivery is smoother, you feel more torque, and the engine feels peppier. I’ve also noticed that on the highway or at higher speeds 50+ mph, their seems to be more available power.

What about that Intake?

The Cobb Big SF intake is a well designed product. It makes great whooshing noises and looks ok (I like the look of the stock air box better) or if the Redline Intake wasn’t all carbon fiber I would have went with that design. I think the community is in a consensus that at low power levels, aftermarket exhaust and intakes are just noise makers, but fun noise makers. To me, like the exhaust, the intake increases the “experience”. The intake noise is noticeable but not obnoxious and sounds great during “spirited” driving sessions.

Is this worth voiding your warranty? No.

I’m getting closer to the end of my 60K powertrain. After 45K without any issues, I felt like the risk was low, if things go south than I won’t be too heart broken and it will just accelerate my long term goal for this car. I logged with the AccessPort for a couple days, all looked good, so I put the AccessPort away in my sock drawer.

Is it worth the $1200?

Well, that depends. If you still have lots of Warranty time left, no. If you’re expecting a big change with a Stage 1+, than no. If you want a little better driving experience, plan on getting a protune, or plan on going for a more intensive build down the road, then yes. Beyond tuning, the AccessPort’s ability to log, reset codes, monitor sensors, and interface with the cars ECU is a great tool to have. The Cobb Big SF Intake at $475 is a bit steep. Worth it for whooshing sounds? No. If your goals are beyond these low power levels than they both make more sense.

At $1200 I’m sure the money could be better spent on lighter wheels, better tires, driving lessons or track time. I have some longer-term goals with my STI after I retire it from daily driving duty where the AccessPort and Intake will come into play, so I figured I’d experience what this car is like with a simple OTS tune, plus I have fun tinkering. The stock STI is great driver in stock form and if it checks all the boxes for you than just enjoy it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Really bored tonight so I wrote a book, for those that won't read it, here are the cliff notes:
  • Cobb’s throttle mapping isn’t great at low speed.
  • Is this worth voiding your warranty? No.
  • What’s my thoughts on the Cobb Intake? It makes cool whooshing sounds.
  • Does it change how the STI drives? Yes, but not much.
  • Is it worth $1200 bucks? Not really, but it depends.
  • The 2018 RA/2019+ is great in stock form. Stage 1+ OTS makes it better, but not much.

I went into doing the Stage 1+ not looking to improve anything, just to experience how a tune could change the driving experience. Having little experience with modifying performance cars, or even driving other types of performance cars, trying to interpret people’s online reviews or translating a dyno chart into something tangible was difficult for me. My attempt here to convey the change won’t be much better. This is just my uneducated and unexperienced newb opinion, I have little background in this stuff.

So what changed?

The first noticeable change is the throttle input. It’s “I-” mode all the time. The minus after the “I” is because to me it feels even less sensitive than the normal “I” mode at low speeds. I don’t really like it while driving in stop and go traffic, it’s like I’m not giving it enough gas and it’s on the verge of stalling. I didn’t have this issue in stock “I” mode, but maybe I’ll get used to Cobb’s throttle mapping overtime. Outside of low speed driving scenarios, Cobb’s throttle is just fine and it’s nice knowing you’re getting consistent pedal feel in all the modes.

How does it feel?

Have you ever had one those good days with your STI? Maybe it’s a nice cool fall day and temperature is just right and you got a good batch of 93…your car just feels better for some reason, boost is there when you want it to be. If someone were to do the Cobb Stage 1 tune without telling me (and kept the drive modes the same of course), that’s how I would best describe it. The change is not profound, but power delivery is smoother, you feel more torque, and the engine feels peppier. I’ve also noticed that on the highway or at higher speeds 50+ mph, their seems to be more available power.

What about that Intake?

The Cobb Big SF intake is a well designed product. It makes great whooshing noises and looks ok (I like the look of the stock air box better) or if the Redline Intake wasn’t all carbon fiber I would have went with that design. I think the community is in a consensus that at low power levels exhaust and intakes are just noise makers, but fun noise makers. To me, like the exhaust, the intake increases the “experience”. The intake noise is noticeable but not obnoxious and sounds great during “spirited” driving sessions.

Is this worth voiding your warranty? No.

I’m getting closer to the end of my 60K powertrain. After 45K without any issues, I felt like the risk was low, if things go south than I won’t be too heart broken and it will just accelerate my long term goal for this car. I logged with the AccessPort for a couple days, all looked good, so I put the AccessPort away in my sock drawer.

Is it worth the $1200?

Well, that depends. If you still have lots of Warranty time left, no. If you’re expecting a big change with a Stage 1+, than no. If you want a little better driving experience, plan on getting a protune, or plan on going for a more intensive build down the road, then yes. Beyond tuning, the AccessPort’s ability to log, reset codes, monitor sensors, and interface with the cars ECU is a great tool to have. The Cobb Big SF Intake at $475 is a bit steep. Worth it for whooshing sounds? No. If your goals are beyond these low power levels than they both make more sense.

At $1200 I’m sure the money could be better spent on lighter wheels, better tires, driving lessons or track time. I have some longer-term goals with my STI after I retire it from daily driving duty where the AccessPort and Intake will come into play, so I figured I’d experience what this car is like with a simple OTS tune, plus I have fun tinkering. The stock STI is great driver in stock form and if it checks all the boxes for you than just enjoy it!
Thanks for the detailed reply!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The first noticeable change is the throttle input. It’s “I-” mode all the time. The minus after the “I” is because to me it feels even less sensitive than the normal “I” mode at low speeds. I don’t really like it while driving in stop and go traffic, it’s like I’m not giving it enough gas and it’s on the verge of stalling. I didn’t have this issue in stock “I” mode, but maybe I’ll get used to Cobb’s throttle mapping overtime.
"I-" is a very good description of the COBB throttle response for their Stage 1 maps. I had the very similar experience when I ran the 93 Stage 1 (stock air box) for about a week; eventually going back to stock. And the more I run stock the more I find I like the ability to change the throttle response based on how I'm driving.

Once I get some more mileage/age on the car and figure out exactly what I want from a tune I'm going to have a nice e-tune done just to pep things up a bit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"I-" is a very good description of the COBB throttle response for their Stage 1 maps. I had the very similar experience when I ran the 93 Stage 1 (stock air box) for about a week; eventually going back to stock. And the more I run stock the more I find I like the ability to change the throttle response based on how I'm driving.

Once I get some more mileage/age on the car and figure out exactly what I want from a tune I'm going to have a nice e-tune done just to pep things up a bit.
It would be nice if Cobb offered an OTS that kept the stock throttle modes. I'm sure an e-tune, like you mentioned, will make it much better.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking great so far! Have a feeling we are going to have to meet up at some point since we are fairly close, and do a twinnish photoshoot ;)
Thanks man! Yeah there seems to be a good amount of people in the DMV area, I bet a summer time cars and coffee meetup or even a group drive up to Boxerfest would be fun.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What throttle modes are you wanting to keep? Or... What behaviors are you looking to keep?
I liked how the throttle in the Stock "S" mode felt. The Cobb OTS throttle feels, as someone described it, "Numb". Although, I am getting used to the feeling of the Cobb, but I'd still go back to OEM "S" if I could.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts