IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just wondering which turbo does factory sti spec c uses?? i notice their turbo doesn't taper well over 8k rpm. what type of turbo is that?

also what's the potential on that turbo? is it worth it to get it? if so, do i need to replace anything?

thanks
-jae

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
i believe they use a twin scroll turbo. to use a twin scroll turbo you'd need to get twin scroll specific headers, and im pretty sure you need a dp that fits a twin scroll as well. if you want to upgrade your turbo, i would go with a 20g.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I think if I were looking for a JDM turbo, I'd try to find a VF42. I think that's the newest twin scroll one used on the S204. Previously I think it was the VF37.

Either way, one thing to consider is that all of those turbos are made for a 2.0L motor. They might very well be no more appropriate for a 2.5L USDM STI than the Evo's 16G, for similar reasons.

·
resigned
5,609 Posts
my understanding is that the VF37 uses the compressor housing of the VF34 and a twin scroll hot side. IIRC the VF34 uses a smaller compressor than the VF39, making it a poor match for the 2.5l.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
how about the tsr 70?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i just want to more topend hp without taper. i don't know if 20g is good for topend any better than stock usdm

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
JKonquer said:
yeah i just want to more topend hp without taper. i don't know if 20g is good for topend any better than stock usdm
the 20g has a lot better top end than the stocker, and there wont be much more lag at all. if you want to step up one notch, check the sz49 or fp green which will give a little more top end, but also a little more lag.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so where does the 20g taper at? and fp green?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts