IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it installed at a local shop for warranty purposes. The store that sold the lights insisted that I get it done there otherwise he wouldnt be able to honor it if I put it in myself. The shop took about an hour and a half and did a really clean job.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were $1399. Although these aren't brand new, they were pulled off JDM STi's (how or why I dont know :D ). I asked the shop if they sold new ones and they told me they could order some.....for $2600 :eek: ....so I took these instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those are NOT JDM spec lamps!!!
Why?
Because the light cut-off is on the right hand side which is what it is for the LHD vehicles.

For the RHD vehicle (as used in Japan), the cut-off is on the left hand side.

What you *may* have are the lamps used elsewhere, but certainly NOT in Japan.

In fact, I'd be weary about the shop who sold them to you. Obviously, they lied to you when they told you those are JDM spec lamps - how much more did they lie??? Are those really the OEM lamps or some cheap knock-offs? I reckon, they're knock-offs.

How do I know?

Because, the cut-ff is very poorly defined (looking at the garage door picture); there is light scatter all over the place. Such poor light distribution is NOT allowed in Japan or Europe. That would be HIGHLY dangerous, and is illegal.

You have taken for a ride, my friend!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
chill out guy. are you sure? so is that to say if i do a jdm engine swap i also have to do a right drive conversion also? i don't think so. correct me if i'm wrong but most shops are selling jdm heads, hid/ non-hid
and are explaining that you will need to wire a harness to make them work. they are not saying you have to have the jdm steering column or assorted ancillary controls to make the lights work. and this design is so new how could their already be knockoffs? all i've heard is morette,jdm, and ukdm lights beibg available.
do you have some proof Alfanick? besides translating a members blurry pictures, which look hecka bright to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: tire pressure

*...chill out guy. are you sure?...*

Yes, I'm sure - 100%!
As I noted earlier, the JDM (or any other RHD drive vehicles) spec lamps will have a cut-off on the opposite side of what your pictures show; unless Ambrose mirrored the pictures.
That he did not do, because the instruments are still reading the right way!

Yes, the pictures are somewhat out of focus, however it is not difficult to tell you have the LHD drive vehicle lamps.

Doesn't take a genious to tell right from left!

*...so is that to say if i do a jdm engine swap i also have to do a right drive conversion also? i don't think so...*

Dude, I don't think you understand how lamps work.

The light pattern is controlled either by the lens or by the reflector or both.
You CANNOT flip those things around to suit the RHD or LHD drive - they are made either in one format or the other!

Lamps are not engines or transmissions.

*...correct me if i'm wrong but most shops are selling jdm heads, hid/ non-hid
and are explaining that you will need to wire a harness to make them work...*

Yes, they may tell you what wire to connect to what, but YOU CANNOT change the way the light comes comes out from the lamps. That's what the reflector or lens or both are for.
I don't care if you are God, you cannot change that fundamental part of the lamp. Got it?

*...they are not saying you have to have the jdm steering column or assorted ancillary controls to make the lights work...*

Like I said, you do not understand how car headlamps work.
They have nothing to do with engines, steering wheels, pedals, transmissions or most anything else.
There are some exceptions where, on some cars, the low beam lamps may swing with the wheels/tires as you are turning the steering wheel. But that's quite rare. Some BMW's have that feature, as well as old Citroens.

*...and this design is so new how could their already be knockoffs? all i've heard is morette,jdm, and ukdm lights beibg available.
do you have some proof Alfanick? besides translating a members blurry pictures, which look hecka bright to me...*

Because of the beam pattern, they are NOT JDM spec lamps. They are made for LHD drive cars. The beam pattern shown in the pictures is not well defined (even though the pictures are slightly out of focus); you would see a very sharp, well defined rise to the upper right in the light pattern - much more so than shown in the pictures. In fact, the true European headlamps the pattern would continue right up, and not be cut-off half way up as shown.
The purpose of that would be to illuminate the road signs mounted off the curb, and about 2 meters high.

The beam pattern of your lamps goes up a bit, but than is cut to flow in a horizontal pattern - that's a typical North American spec lamp - NOBODY else uses that, NOBODY!
Why? Beccause it is a stupid way to have the lamps shine. That's why!
Such lamps are banned in Europe.

Do your lamps have a *city lamp* feature, i.e., a small wattage bulb (15W or so)? These are required by law in Europe, and not in Japan.

So, based on the beam pattern, they are not JDM spec lamps. Based on the crappy cut-off, and probably the lack of *city lamps*, they cannot be Euro spec lapms.
So what are they?
I say, they are a cheap knock-off of neither this nor that.

Further, if you were truly driving around with the JDM lamps (particularly HID's), every cop in town would pull you over for blinding the oncoming traffic - GUARANTEED!

Might want to check the lamps to see what comapny made them. I do not know who makes the Subaru lamps, but it seems to me (based on owning a bunch of different Japanese cars in the past) that Stanley makes most of them for all kinds of Japanese cars.

Who made these???

So, YOU may want to chill out yourself or or ask Ambrose to drive over to the shop where he bought them, and ask them a few questions.

Alright?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright first of all, I think you really need to heed thermobox's advice and calm down...No one said your wrong and no one is accusing you of lying. thermobox was only asking if you were sure if these were fake cause it probably seemed like you were jumping to conclusions. Now I'm no HID expert like yourself (no sarcasm intended) so I probably couldn't tell by looking at the light pattern whether or not these are real. However I trust the owner of the store which I purchased them at and I don't believe he was lying when he told me that these are JDM HID's. If your right and these are actually not JDM HID's then so be it.....it doesnt really bother me to the point where I'd have to buy "real" ones again. The only reason why I decided to purchase an entire housing in the first place was because I messed up the driver side headlight during the "clear the orange stuff" mod and I wanted to replace the housing again. Either way the lighting is better than it used to be and I'm happy with the beam pattern these give out. As for who makes the headlight housings for the STi, I believe its by a company called "Ichikoh". I think they make the housings for all the STi's but I can only confirm this for the Canadian version. I'll take post some pictures later to show you that the JDM HID's are also made by the same company.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my car in the US (hell of a price saving) and have had it for 2 weeks. I sold my 944 turbo S and Talon AWD turbo for my STi (told my wife I was selling my sports cars and buying a 4 door Subaru - her comment -Dear, you must finally be growing up). The US car has HID headlights and a dial on the dash to adjust the height of the beam. I'm wondering why the Canadian cars didn't come with HID or even have them as an option?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jlowe99 said:
I bought my car in the US (hell of a price saving) and have had it for 2 weeks. I sold my 944 turbo S and Talon AWD turbo for my STi (told my wife I was selling my sports cars and buying a 4 door Subaru - her comment -Dear, you must finally be growing up). The US car has HID headlights and a dial on the dash to adjust the height of the beam. I'm wondering why the Canadian cars didn't come with HID or even have them as an option?

Its illegal for cars in Canada to have manual adjusting HIDs...they must be auto-leveling/self-adjusting in order for them to be considered legal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
StayingStock ?

hey... are those the JDM headlights?? That looks sweet!!
How much do they cost u? (Canadian $)

and will the JDM headlight fit our canadian STi with halogen bulbs?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jal723 said:
hey... are those the JDM headlights?? That looks sweet!!
How much do they cost u? (Canadian $)

and will the JDM headlight fit our canadian STi with halogen bulbs?
Thanks! They costed me $1399.00, and I paid another $80 for the installation.

If your asking about putting in the JDM halogen headlights on the Canadian STi then, yes i'm sure it will fit. There shouldn't be a difference between the JDM outer housing shell and the Canadian shell (for the halogens) the only difference is the cover that goes over the reflector inside the housing. ( Sorry if I misinterpreted your question )

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Ambros said:
jlowe99 said:

Its illegal for cars in Canada to have manual adjusting HIDs...they must be auto-leveling/self-adjusting in order for them to be considered legal.
Just dont tell the cop and he will not know.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Hey guys, I recently received 3 sets of the complete JDM STI HIDs. I made a post for the guys from Canada, but it was wiped out when the site went down last weekend. If you are interested let me know.

I can put you in touch with a guy that supplies connectors that make this a plug and play swap. If you want the STi manual adjustment switch with wiring harness to the light, he can supply those too. With those two items you would have HIDs that function no differently than the US versions.

Kevin
kevin @ kingofimports.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts