IW STi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got syms jdm fog light cover with air dam. but it seems like its touching the usdm bumper beam. so i need to cut at least 1 or 2inch on the bottom of the bumper beam.
how hard is it to cut the bumper beam? and should i get jdm bumper beam or cut the usdm?
and where cna i get jdm bumper beam?

thanks
=jae

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
The JDM beam is around $200 if i remember right from most place's. I may be wrong, someone correct me if im wrong.

honestly I would just pull the bumper cover off and cut the USDM one unless you are looking to lighten up the front cause the JDM weights less. If you take the stock fog light cover off, you can see the USDM beam sticking out a little on each side. That is what you need to trim off

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I've got the JDM fogs on my 04 and I chose to change the bumper beam because of the weight savings. I got mine from Myles at Racecomp, not sure what the price was though. If I had to do it again, I'd do it the same way strictly because of the weight. Makes a BIG difference. I think the USDM beam is 45lbs and the JDM beam is 11.

·
Registered
900 Posts
it's not quite 37 pounds lighter but it is lighter and like I and others have said it does offer a noticeable improvement in turn in/feel. Some haters out there like to say it doesn't do a thing (they are wrong) and others get paranoid that it's not safe (it meets US 5mph crash test rating). Get jdm you won't be sorry.

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
JKonquer said:
i got syms jdm fog light cover with air dam. but it seems like its touching the usdm bumper beam. so i need to cut at least 1 or 2inch on the bottom of the bumper beam.
how hard is it to cut the bumper beam? and should i get jdm bumper beam or cut the usdm?
and where cna i get jdm bumper beam?

thanks
=jae
Its easy to cut the beam. I wouldnt ever get the JDM beam since its like a toothpick compared to the USDM one. All you need is a sawzal, you can do it in 5-10 mins once the bumper cover is off.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, so i figured out the cutting bumper beam part. but what if i want to get fmic, would fog light cover get in the way or do i need to cut more bumper beam?

and what the hell is sawzal? is that like dremel?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also, with jdm bumper beam, do i need to cut anything to install fmic?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
JKonquer said:
yeah, so i figured out the cutting bumper beam part. but what if i want to get fmic, would fog light cover get in the way or do i need to cut more bumper beam?

and what the hell is sawzal? is that like dremel?
SoJDM.com has the JDM bumper beam for $219 plus $24 shipping. :tup:

You won't be using much of the USDM bumper beam with any sort of FMIC. Good FMICs come with a replacement beam.

A Sawzall is a recprocating saw made by Milwaukee Tools and a common slang for all reciprocating saws.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so my best bet is to cut the existing beam, right?
man is that mean i have to go buy another tool? lol

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeha i was reading that earlier. thanks!
do you happen to have the other piece of the bumper beam with you?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
JKonquer said:
so my best bet is to cut the existing beam, right?
man is that mean i have to go buy another tool? lol
A sawzall is a great tool to have! You never know when you might want/need to cut down a wall or cut a piece of steel! :lol:

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
cut the existing
with the addition of a fmic, there is no more bumper beam lol you take it off completely.

they would probably only fit with aps's fmic since they are the only ones that work with jdm fogs...i think txs does too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts