IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question. i posed it to kevin privately and i haven't heard back yet (hey, it's been two minutes!). i'm actually pretty excited.

what do you think about an iwsti chat room (or rooms) where members could interact with each other in real time in general or technical discussions?

i think it would pump a little life in the joint. kevin could charge to upgrade to a membership level that would include the privilege.

do a g search for "full-featured irc program".

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a chat room can be 20 people in a running conversation on any subject. it moves in real time. it's not the same thing. a thread is like watching grass grow. take this one. lol

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
In forum I've seen 'chat' turn into mostly peeing matches and poo flinging. Not that the high quality people on here would stoop to those levels, but it happens. Some forums have dropped the chat option for this reason.

Some forums to have direct PM (aka: instant messaging) which is similar to direct chat, but is not group based. As someone who gets asked questions on a regular basis it's handy and much quicker than going back and forth via e-mail and PMs. I get a lot of, "I saw you posted 'X' and had some questions about it" and so forth.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure Kevin has thought about this before and will share his thoughts on the topic.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't thing it'll turn into the wild west if basic codes of conduct are enforced. this site isn't like nasioc or any other site, for that matter. what it needs is a shot in the arm.

the only area of the site where there's a fast turnover of posts is in the '15, which is what you'd expect during the launch of a new model. the general discussion section isn't seeing any movement. gr and gd areas are completely stagnant except for the same 30 members who post all the time and, even then, everyone is glued to their respective gen. there's little movement between them. i'm as guilty as anyone else.

chat rooms would bring everyone from the different gens into a high speed interactive format. it might also help encourage the thousand or so casual lurkers on at any given time to become members.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would think people would use it once or twice then abandon it. I have several STI owner friends on facebook who I am constantly chatting with, and so I don't see any extra need for this. Threads with problems do just as good a job, and the people who may know a solution will only be online when they are online, I don't think the chat would make this any better. Usually if I have an issue I am not certian about, I'll hit them up, if they are unsure or have not heard of it, then google search, then, if the solution STILL isn't found (rare) I would start a thread. Plus I use the 'methods of our madness' thread pretty much as a general chat/discussion/shoot the shit thread. I'm a mod over on a cobalt site and nobody ever uses the chat feature.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I would strongly support this idea.

My build and Funk 32 are quite similar and we have been trying to do a primitive version of this by messaging which obviously is very inefficient. I think there is definitely room for this.

I would suggest a warning/flagging option if it becomes an nabisco-style, booger-flicking and ego inflation contest.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
making it premium members only would work nicely i think. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Available to Premium members only reduces the rift-raft IMHO. Kevin? Kevin?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would strongly support this idea.

My build and Funk 32 are quite similar and we have been trying to do a primitive version of this by messaging which obviously is very inefficient. I think there is definitely room for this.

I would suggest a warning/flagging option if it becomes an nabisco-style, booger-flicking and ego inflation contest.
solution:

1) add him on facebook
2) Private messaging through facebook. you can even tell when each other is online and stuff...works wonderfully! I use this method with MANY other members and locals to coordinate things/troubleshoot ASAP when there are issues.

·
Former Site Owner
6,258 Posts
I could see (and have even thought of) making such a feature available to premium members. In fact, I have deployed it on another automotive site but it still results in obnoxious commentary from time to time.

In regards to the comments regarding stagnation of discussions pertaining to older models, I believe that most of the information is out there and discoverable via searching directly on the site or google, which leads people to the site.

I am currently working on the 2015 Subaru Calendar, which is a huge undertaking, so I can explore adding this to IWSTI after SEMA. I am considering a move to a different type of forum software as vbulletin has lost its luster and subsequent iterations have not been impressive at all.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could see (and have even thought of) making such a feature available to premium members. In fact, I have deployed it on another automotive site but it still results in obnoxious commentary from time to time.
i can live with obnoxious commentary from time to time. a little danger is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

thanks for being open to the idea, kevin. i'm for anything that helps the site. it's a living thing, as far as i'm concerned.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Wut, no vbulletin?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts