IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on installing this thing myself tomorrow and am wondering if I need anything else. I have read some various threads that talk about needing some kind of wire adaptor harness but not sure if what i have classifies as that... so far i've got the head unit and the PAC TR-7 adapter to play DVD's while driving. Is there anything else I need or am I good?

·
Registered
24 Posts
286 said:
Planning on installing this thing myself tomorrow and am wondering if I need anything else. I have read some various threads that talk about needing some kind of wire adaptor harness but not sure if what i have classifies as that... so far i've got the head unit and the PAC TR-7 adapter to play DVD's while driving. Is there anything else I need or am I good?
Sounds like you still need the wiring harness. I believe the most prevalent one is made by Metra and has a part# of 80-8901. It plugs right in to the existing audio harness and allows the alpine HU to plug right in. I know for a fact that Circuit City carries them for about $17.00. Good luck.;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
adapter, i just grounded some wire and i was able to play dvd's when driving but i have the kenwood 8017

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's installed. Didn't take too long. Just got a harness from a local car audio shop. I freakin love this thing. It's practically perfect and i cant say that i have any complaints. Pics to come soon...

·
Registered
24 Posts
286 said:
Well, it's installed. Didn't take too long. Just got a harness from a local car audio shop. I freakin love this thing. It's practically perfect and i cant say that i have any complaints. Pics to come soon...
Very nice! I remember my install being a breeze aside from having to play around with the factory mounting brackets in order to get it to sit perfectly flush with the din surround. I know most people don't mind the quarter inch or so that sticks out, but it was bothering the hell out of me so I had to figure out a way. Congrats on the install.

Your post has inspired me to try and get some pics up.:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks :tup: Yeah, I flush mounted it too with the directions DragOn gave me. Was really self-explanitory once you get in there. For anyone who wants to know, you basically just use 1 screw on each side of the h/u instead of the 3 that you would normally use (6 total). It allows you to mount it a little further back and it's still secure and not going anywhere. Definately clean for sure.

·
Registered
314 Posts
PAC TR-7 adapter

If I remember correclty there was some switch on the PAC TR-7 adapter. Anyone know what that is for? Is it just for enabling/disabling the bypass? Why would anyone want that disabled anyway?

·
Registered
255 Posts
0bluesti4 said:
If I remember correclty there was some switch on the PAC TR-7 adapter. Anyone know what that is for? Is it just for enabling/disabling the bypass? Why would anyone want that disabled anyway?

The PAC TR7 is a video ypass module which disables the video in motion safety feature. It allows the W200 to show video whil ethe car is in motion.

Dre

·
Registered
24 Posts
0bluesti4 said:
Has anyone tried the new KCE-422i cable with this HU? Does the iPod turn off when the car is turned off or does it keep working?
The iPod will actually display a screen stating that its ok to remove it from the cable for about a minute before it shuts off. When I first saw this, I thought that it remained on, but it does eventually shut down. It is definately a must have if you own both an iPod and the W200 HU. Peace.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just ordered mine. Waiting for it to ship. In the meantime thinking about ways to deter theft as I would imagine double din LCD HUs in cars attract quiet a bit of attention. Anyone come up with something creative/effective to deter theft of their system? I have an upgraded factory alarm and wondering if there is some way to make it even better?

·
Registered
514 Posts
0bluesti4 said:
Just ordered mine. Waiting for it to ship. In the meantime thinking about ways to deter theft as I would imagine double din LCD HUs in cars attract quiet a bit of attention. Anyone come up with something creative/effective to deter theft of their system? I have an upgraded factory alarm and wondering if there is some way to make it even better?
YEA PLEASE ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS??!!!, IM GOING TO TRY TO WELD MINE IN MY CAR!

·
Registered
464 Posts
for the W200, if i want to put navi. in, do i have to use the alpine one? how much is it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A pic I took...

Anyone know if Alpine's "Amp Link" is a function of the W200? I have 1 alpine amp and another one waiting to go in. With this, i guess you can adjust your alpine amps through your alpine h/u, although i dont see the function on any of the W200 menu's... Is it only on certain Alpine models?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Great choice... I too have no complaints on this head unit... It's a fun piece of engineering.

I have pics of it at night... it's linked in my signature.

The unit matches the STi blue interior, flawlessly.
No complaints.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts