IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Alpine CDA-7897 ( http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12094 ) from Etronics and now I need speakers. I think I'm going to just use the subaru tweeters if the dealer will throw them in for free.

Okay, I want 6.5" in the front and 5.25" in the rear. I want to stick with Alpine if possible and since I have NO prior experience with Alpine speakers, I need your help. Which speakers do you recommend for me? I listen to anything, from rap to alternative. I like a little bass, and I love loud, clear sound. I'm not going to get subs because they weigh too much. I might get an external amp later down the road. I was told I should get 3-ways up front and 2-ways in the rear (better for bass). One question is, doesn't 3-ways include an external tweeter mounted on the speaker cone? Could I just get four 2-ways and use good tweeters? I'm going to purchase some IA spacers and tweeter thingies, but I don't know which ones I need. What do you suggest?

Thanks SOO much for your help :) Oh yeah, I'm not SET on Alpine speakers so feel free to let me know what you're using :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Re: jammers

imo, do not use subaru's tweeters.
get a pair of 6.5 components for your front doors.
if you need to produce more midbass, you may want to look into a 3 way set-up that has a dedicated midbass driver, but that will mean you have to install a kickpanel to hold the driver.
a single 3 way speaker is not going to give performance that can match a good pair of components.

i looked into alpine type r 6.5 components for the front. they sounded ok to my ears, but nothing that really impressed me. their midbass was not crisp imho.
also, slpine type r's are deep speakers and may7 require some modification to install in your doors, not positive though.
amping your interior speakers and using some form of sound deadening in the doors will be the best things you can do in terms of getting the best sound out of a 4 speaker set-up.

there are tons of good quality components and rear coaxs out there. give us some budget info and maybe more help will be on the way...

p.s. try taking some of your fav cd's into a few local shops and give the speakers a listen.
keep a few things in mind:
1. listen to your choices without a sub playing, since you are not getting a sub. this way you will find out how well the speakers handle lower frequencies.
2. listen to them thru external amp power and thru deck power. this will give you an idea on how efficient the speakers are, and how much power they can handle before distorting.
3. listen to them without the aid of an external eq as well. depending on what deck u use, you may not have the benefit of extensive eq capabilities. listening to the speakers this way will allow you to discern what qualities each speaker offers.
some play flat, some have piercing tweeters, some have horrible midbass. you want to listen to them without the aid of items you will not have so as to determine if they produce the type of sound you are looking for.

another thing to keep in mind, is everyone's ears are different and everyone's tastes in sound are different. i got so caught up in researching tons of speakers it was killing me.

i ended up going with:
eclipse 8443 deck (for eq, and sq features)
kicker resolution rs6c (6.5 components up front)
kicker k5.25 (5.25 coax's in rear)
kicker 12 l7
kicker 700.5 amp (rated @ 960 watts)

their were many other awesome choices out there for speakers however:
mb quart (many lines to choose depending on budget)
boston acoustics
diamond audio
rockford fosgate (yes i liked 'em)
focal, cdt, image dynamics, polk audio, jl audio,......etc

give us the following info and we can prolly help more:
budget requirements?
using external amp?
diy install or local shop?
buying @ local shop or internet?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking to spend more than 400 on speakers and tweeters. Buying on the internet, and going to have them installed at a local shop. No external amp for now, unless it's HIGHLY recommended. Basically, I'm going with component speakers. As of now, I'm thinking 6.5" components in the front and 5.25" in the rear (as long as they fit). Do I need any spacers with this setup?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
You need spacers for the front. If they are being installed in a shop, let them worry about that. That should be part of the cost of doing the install. For the back, you shouldn't need spacers and they will most likely mount them inside the door anyway. At least in my case, that's the only way they would fit.

·
Registered
949 Posts
if i were you i would allocate $300 for front comps and $100 for rear coaxs.
stick with same brand, but does not have to be same line.
expect about $100-$150 for speaker install and wiring.
buying online will mean you can get alot more for your money, but as always be aware of any warranty prob you might have.
externally amping components is highly recommended as they tend to require more power to push, but you will get decent sound from the alpine. their v-drive internal amps are better than most.
definitely allocate some $$ for sound deadening the front doors, or at least a baffle. this will go a long way in terms of increasing output and sq.
check out:
www.thezeb.com
www.sounddomain.com
jbl power series sound good, handle plenty of power, but imo need a lil help from a deck eq to liven them up.
rockford fanatics are bright, produce decent midbass and sound decent w/o aid of eq
kicker resolutions sound lively and good @ high volumes ( i like mine)
jl audio xr series are awesome. unfortunately you are on your own when buying online usually.
cdt's are fantastic and thezeb is an authorized dealer.

$400 is a good budget and will get you nice speakers.
just remember to allow for installation and a bit of sound deadening. not crazy tho.
and imho save up for an amp. you could even get a 2ch for just your comps and run the rears off deck power if you're really on a budget.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I found a specialty store near me (thank god) and they carry all the good brands, the worst being Sony. LOL

I'm basically set on Alpine Component SPR's 6.5" in BOTH front and rear. Before I order, will they fit in the rear? Chris, THANK YOU SO much for your help!!! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turns out that since the Alpines are so deep that 6.5" ALPINE's won't fit in the rear. I'm going to check on the 5.25"s now... What do you recommend for the rear speakers in 5.25" if I have 6.5" components up front? 2-ways or 3ways or what?

·
Registered
949 Posts
stick with the same brand as your front comps.
just purchase type s 5.25 coaxs.
no need for 3 ways really.
alpines are a deep speaker, there are some other brands out there thatwill fit easier.
i know rockfors makes a fanatic x 6.5 component that is shallow mount, and their coaxs are not too deep either.
bostons are notoriously deep, but mb quarts are not so much so

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I sucked it up and ordered an amp also.

4 channel amp 40 x 4 rms
rear- 5.25" type r 2ways
front- 6.5" type r component 2 ways
hu - cda 7897

all Alpine :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts