IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after getting my STi I read on a website somewhere about a number of items and servicings that were covered in the STi's factory warranty.

Specifically:

3year/36,000 service adjustment (adjustment performed one time)
3year/36,000 mile Wear Item Warranty covers keyless remote battery, brakes, clutch disc lining, wiper blades
Wear and adjustment: 12 month/12,000 mile

This info was obtained from:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html#warranty

Of course (to my knowledge) none of the items I listed are mentioned anywhere in the literature contained within the big fat pouch in the glove box. I sent an e-mail to the address listed on the website asking about this. I hope I get an acceptable answer back..

Just for kicks I drove by the dealership I bought my car from on my lunch break to ask someone in the service department about this. Of course I got this total jerk telling me whatever I read is total bull and that they won't cover anything at all unless it is completely broken. He also went on to say that Subaru is saying this thing basically has no warranty so as soon as I notice anything I should bring it in as soon as I can. I just don't know how people like him can sleep at night.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Willwood brakes off of our shop car

I've had my wiper blades(multiple times) and keyless remote battery replaced on my '02 WRX fully under warrenty. I never bothered with the brake pad replacements as I upgraded to high performance brake pads and I would chew through them rather quickly.

If I recall correctly I read the "wearable" items warrenty listed in the Subaru literature on my '02.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I know the brakes are totally covered which I was very surprised (and happy) to hear. My sales guy told me this when I picked it up.

-st

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Straight from the Subaru site:
Replacement Parts And Accessories Limited Warranty
This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in material or workmanship which occur under normal use in any Genuine Subaru Replacement Part or Accessory purchased after retail sale of the Subaru vehicle in which the part or accessory is installed.
* See your Subaru Dealer for complete details.

Wear Item Limited Warranty
Wear item coverage for all models is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered include brake pad/shoe linings, clutch disk linings, and wiper blades.
*See your Subaru Dealer for complete details."

New Car Limited Warranty
Basic coverage is three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the entire car.

Rust Perforation Limited Warranty
Rust perforation coverage for all vehicles is five years regardless of mileage. Since all Subaru vehicles are built to resist corrosion, the use of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not necessary and is not a requirement for coverage under this warranty.

Powertrain Limited Warranty
Powertrain coverage for all models is five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the major powertrain components listed below:*

Engine block and all internal parts
Cylinder heads and valve trains
Oil pump, oil pan
Timing belts or gears and covers
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake manifold
Oil seals and gaskets
Torque converter
Electronic transmission control unit
Transaxle seals and gaskets

Axle shafts and constant velocity joints (except boots)**

Propeller shaft

*See your Subaru Dealer for complete details.

*Some restrictions apply. For complete Subaru Warranty information contact your local Subaru dealer. Locate your local dealer by going to the upper right corner of Subaru.com and input your city, state or zip code.

**Axle shaft and/or CVJ damage due to broken, torn, split or damaged boots, allowing the intrusion of road abrasive material, is not coverable under warranty.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i was under the impression that since the brake units on the STi are aftermarket Brembo units that they are not covered by any warranty. i think that the warranty is kind of an afterthought for most people anyway. Even though the STi is awesome in stock form i personally am looking forward to making all sorts of mods, hopefully pushing my STi into the 400Hp range. its amazing how many mods can put an end to the factory warranty.

·
Registered
858 Posts
GLUE lines

where'd ya get that info from?

everything that comes with the car is OEM.

find another dealer if a dealer told you that...

and remember, NOTHING will void your warranty... they can just DENY your claim...

·
Registered
347 Posts
crashsti said:
i was under the impression that since the brake units on the STi are aftermarket Brembo units that they are not covered by any warranty. i think that the warranty is kind of an afterthought for most people anyway.
Uh, if it came on the car, it's under warranty... including the brakes. And, as far as I know, nothing that actualy comes with the car could ever be considered "aftermarket."

One of the big selling points to me was the warranty.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
as far as i know the STi is not your run of the mill production car. the brake units are not stock Subaru pieces. the calipers are Brembo units and since they are not produced by Subaru i can understand why they would not be covered by warranty. as far as the "nothing will void your warranty" comment that is untrue. many aftermarket modifications will void your warranty in a heartbeat. you change out camshafts and that could void your warranty UNLESS they are C.A.R.B approved. Subaru warranties a stock vehicle. a warranty is not meant to cover every mod you make, nitrous, larger turbos, cam changes etc.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Everything that comes on a stock car is covered under a stock warranty.

I don't think there is ANY manufacturer out there that doesn't use some parts manufactured by other companies when building their cars...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
what should be is'nt neccesarily what is. yes, you would think that everything that comes on a car would be covered by the factory warranty. maybe its time someone did some research on this one. i'm not trying to start anything bad here. it just seems there is alot of gray area regarding this.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
When I said everything I meant everything listed in the warranty specs. Obviously nobody is going to cover things that will only break with driver error....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
when i sat down with my dealer he ran through everything that was covered by the factory Subaru warranty. he SPECIFICALLY stated that the car is covered 100% by warranty except for the Brembo brake units. Does anyone out there have something in writing that will lay this to rest? i don't think when you go to buy a $33,000 car that the dealer is going to try to cheat you on the warranty coverage of your brakes.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i would hope the dealer would not be misinformed. i do know that BREMBO is a large manufacturer of brake components. mostly aftermarket and race stuff. not your regular OEM stuff. if there is one thing Subaru did'nt skimp on was the brakes. 60-0 in 110 feet!!! i guess in the end i could'nt care less if they're covered or not.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I am sure the brakes are covered if they somehow mechanically fail, just not the pads or rotors due to normal wear. I would be surprised if stuff like wiper blades or the STi brake pads would be covered under warranty especially for the full 3/36. I am sure the Brembo pads and rotors wear faster then normal brakes and I think most wiper blade manufactures even recommend to change your blades every 7.5k miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts