IW STi Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Did you reduce the torque by 10-15% from the original torque spec with the use of anti-seize?
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you asking if i reduced the torque because i used anti seize? I torqued fronts to 80ftlbs and rears to 47 or 50ftlbs if i remember correctly.

Edit: Also keep in mind that there is a difference between NM(newtonmeter) and FTLB(footpounds)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you asking if i reduced the torque because i used anti seize? I torqued fronts to 80ftlbs and rears to 47 or 50ftlbs if i remember correctly.

Edit: Also keep in mind that there is a difference between NM(newtonmeter) and FTLB(footpounds)
It is my understanding that when using anti-seize, because it also acts as a lubricant, you are suppose to reduce the torque by X value from the dry torque spec. to avoid over torqueing, which was one of the factor that attributed to this issue to begin with. Anti-Seize Compound Application Review | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com. And from here (General Information on Torque Specifications (antiseize.com) ), it is saying by as much of a 25% reduction in torque. So I was wondering if you did that or not as I plan on doing this next week.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
It is my understanding that when using anti-seize, because it also acts as a lubricant, you are suppose to reduce the torque by X value from the dry torque spec. to avoid over torqueing, which was one of the factor that attributed to this issue to begin with. Anti-Seize Compound Application Review | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com. And from here (General Information on Torque Specifications (antiseize.com) ), it is saying by as much of a 25% reduction in torque. So I was wondering if you did that or not as I plan on doing this next week.
Ahhh i see, yeah no i never get super technical. Like i said i think i went 80/50ftlbs last time and will be doing the same. I always feel like with this stuff, just use your head and when in doubt, make sure its good and tight.

·
Premium Member
5,930 Posts
Thought the real issue was an error in the previous brakes caliperbolt spec which had many over-tightening and stripping them.

These arent even the same brakes. Are people currently having issues with them?
Probably a good proactive thing to do with a lot of cars... this was one of the first things I did on my sti after remembering the cheater bar and prayers it took for the caliper bolts on my previous wrx (miniature brakes, but the dissimilar metal issue I think).
I have herd of a couple on the VA chassis but nothing like what it used to be. Remember, they are still using steel bolts and aluminum calipers or atleast last time i checked.

EDIT: To add yes back then the torque spec was wrong leading to guys snapping and stripping them when they were going back in and tightening.

The issue of galvinization is a whole other thing when removing the bolts for the first time.

Seven or eight years ago, I learned the hard way stripping two bolts and snapping a third. Ended up killing one caliper which cost me $500. My understanding was even the factory was over torqueing the bolts and that the service manual spec come from the incorrect factory spec so even first time removal was an issue. My case was likely a first time removal at a bit over 100Kmi.

I recently mentioned an associate ME (Dr) who had at one time designed aircraft brakes. He told me there should be no issue with Steel and AL.

Did you reduce the torque by 10-15% from the original torque spec with the use of anti-seize?
Don’t know the number, but torque not specified with lubricant, and anti-seize is one, should always be reduced.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That shift knob is sweet looking. Details?
I took a chance on this knob found on internet. Took about 3 weeks to get here. Sourced from Lithuania of all places. But why not? I knew I wanted something weighted as I had a nice heavy 8ball knob from lathewerks on my 2015. That one was maybe a bit too big. This one weighs 400 + grams. Bout a pound and it turned out to be well made. Looks good in the STi interior. Feels really good. I’ll see if I can find the link. I think it was around $90-100

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
following up on the tires - i swapped the oem Yokohama’s for the very unsexy Nokian WRG4 in size 255/35-19. Its a V rated all season tire that has the extreme weather rating and remains flexible in low temps. I’ve used it before on prior STi’s and love the ride compliance and it’s wet and winter weather performance. Does just fine in the heat and dry for my purposes. Slightly taller sidewalk and just a much more comfortable ride than the oems. A couple of pics for those who want to see how this size looks on standard rims - I’ll probably post in the general forum so people can find it easily if they search for this size.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI Limited MGM
30 Posts
following up on the tires - i swapped the oem Yokohama’s for the very unsexy Nokian WRG4 in size 255/35-19. Its a V rated all season tire that has the extreme weather rating and remains flexible in low temps. I’ve used it before on prior STi’s and love the ride compliance and it’s wet and winter weather performance. Does just fine in the heat and dry for my purposes. Slightly taller sidewalk and just a much more comfortable ride than the oems. A couple of pics for those who want to see how this size looks on standard rims - I’ll probably post in the general forum so people can find it easily if they search for this size.

Her sister arrived today!!

20210416_144614.jpg
20210416_144602.jpg
20210416_144544.jpg
20210416_144530.jpg
20210416_144506.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
congrats! Love the pics. Enjoy the ride. Looks like someone is going to learn how to drive a manual at an early age👍

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Congrats! Changing tire/wheel size something that can help, but you need to be careful of brake caliper clearance, and speedo error. I swapped to Ohlins struts and it made a world of difference, MUCH smoother and more refined ride quality.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I think the next step i would try to soften things up a bit would be going to an 18’inch wheel. Love the option Lab r716 with a bit more aggressive offset. Clears the calipers too. I’m hesitant to change the struts - just more than I want to do. I had rce yellows on my 2015. Way too rough ride - but ride height was perfect. I suspect the Olins would have been a better decision but I was all about the looks back then. I’ve grown up a bit in 6 years. Or maybe I’m just old🤪

21 - 32 of 32 Posts