IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my 2021 STi tomorrow! See photo of it on the lot yesterday. 3rd STi for me. Planning no drivetrain mods - ok probably just a few n mounts if that counts

this one is a base with a short throw and will have subbie oem roof bars for my bike. Planning the following minor things:

weighted shift knob (already have)
Armrest extension (already have)
cherry blossom red STi on intercooler and on JDM reverse filler valence on rear bumper (lame maybe but I like the way it looks)

strongly considering swapping stock tires for softer riding rubber and going to 40 series (1/2 inch taller sidewall) to make the ride a little softer for my tired old ass. I do think they will fit tho not 100% sure. Anyway. I’m very psyched to get back to the car I really love after being away for awhile.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI Limited MGM
30 Posts
Nice! Mine is enroute and should arrive in 2 weeks! If you want taller tires you need to use smaller rims, otherwise it will likely rub and your odometer and speed calculations will definitely be wrong.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on your new arrival. - I understand about the rim size ie going to 18 inches and having a taller sidewall. Still i want to keep the stock wheels and the clearances of the wheel Wells looks like a half inch taller sidewall on the standard wheel should still clear. I could be wrong - don’t really care about my Speedo/odo being off.

·
Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
107 Posts
Congrats. These STI’s look good in all the colors!

I found my tires grossly overinflated from the dealer which contributed to some harshness. Once I got them back to 33/32 psi the car felt better for sure. A 245/40/19 would work, but it would mess up your speedo and miles a tad. Not sure if a Cobb AP could adjust that or not?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on the STI. 255 35 19's is an option for a little more sidewall. I'm currently running Falken FK510's in that size and I think they ride softer than the 245 40 18 stock tire.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the STI. 255 35 19's is an option for a little more sidewall. I'm currently running Falken FK510's in that size and I think they ride softer than the 245 40 18 stock tire.
That’s great info thanks! Nokia’s wrG4s come in that size and I love that tire.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Congrats from another 3rd time STi owner! picked up my 2020 in Feb after havI have a new 07 and a new 11. Looks great

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is all great info guys - that hitch is genius! Love this forum! I’ll post up some pics later today after I pick her up 🤪

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alrighty—picked up in all of its stock glory and I love it. That 6 speed is somethin! Just love it. Dealer was great and prepped it nicely. Did a couple things already. Shift knob and armrest. The tires are inflated at 45psi which seems ridiculous. Gonna lower that as suggested (thanks magnetite 😁). See some pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI Limited MGM
30 Posts
Alrighty—picked up in all of its stock glory and I love it. That 6 speed is somethin! Just love it. Dealer was great and prepped it nicely. Did a couple things already. Shift knob and armrest. The tires are inflated at 45psi which seems ridiculous. Gonna lower that as suggested (thanks magnetite 😁). See some pics below.

Glorious!!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Congrats on the new sti! It looks awesome in black! Since this car is brand new, do yourself a favor now and lube up the treads on all the brake caliper mounting bolts. Take them out, put anti seize paste on the treads and re torque them back to spec. You will thank me at 30K or so when its time for brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Congrats on the new sti! It looks awesome in black! Since this car is brand new, do yourself a favor now and lube up the treads on all the brake caliper mounting bolts.
Thought the real issue was an error in the previous brakes caliperbolt spec which had many over-tightening and stripping them.

These arent even the same brakes. Are people currently having issues with them?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Probably a good proactive thing to do with a lot of cars... this was one of the first things I did on my sti after remembering the cheater bar and prayers it took for the caliper bolts on my previous wrx (miniature brakes, but the dissimilar metal issue I think).

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
thought the real issue was an error in the previous brakes caliperbolt spec which had many over-tightening and stripping them.

These arent even the same brakes. Are people currently having issues with them?
I have herd of a couple on the VA chassis but nothing like what it used to be. Remember, they are still using steel bolts and aluminum calipers or atleast last time i checked.

EDIT: To add yes back then the torque spec was wrong leading to guys snapping and stripping them when they were going back in and tightening.

The issue of galvinization is a whole other thing when removing the bolts for the first time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Was at the dealer yesterday and someone was picking up one like yours but in WRB. Good times. Congrats on the new car! :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I can’t see myself doing anything to the brakes even if it’s a good idea for down the road - and thanks for the info. I had no idea there was an issue - I had a 2012 and a 2015 and never knew about the bolt/caliper thing. Anyway I don’t trust myself to do anything of the sort so I’ll deal with whatever happens down the road. The next issue for me is turning down the harshness of the ride just a touch. Going to store (or sell) the oem tires and put on 255/35 Nokian wrG4s - bit more sidewall and way softer compound. Had these on the 2015 and they were great all year round. Looking to make this a comfortable daily driver - roads I drive are truly horrendous. Knew this going in and may go to 18’s but for now will try to keep wheels stock.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congrats on the new sti! It looks awesome in black! Since this car is brand new, do yourself a favor now and lube up the treads on all the brake caliper mounting bolts. Take them out, put anti seize paste on the treads and re torque them back to spec. You will thank me at 30K or so when its time for brakes.
Did you reduce the torque by 10-15% from the original torque spec with the use of anti-seize?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts