IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It all started 12 years ago. I was in college at the time. My roommate's friend drove down from New Jersey to visit us in Florida. He was driving this weird car. A Subaru? I asked him about it and he said, "Come on, let's go for a drive."

The moment my neck snapped back, I was hooked. I thought, how the heck? This thing has 4 doors and 4 cylinders, it doesn't look all that special. Where is this power coming from. I knew that day, I had to have one.

I bought my first car a couple years later. I was 21 with my first "real" job. I wanted an STI, but couldn't afford it.

Then several years later I was finally in a position to afford a used STI. In 2011, I found a 2008 WRB hatchback. I bought it without even driving it. I knew from the moment I saw it, it was meant to be. Every day I scoured this forum looking for tips and ideas on what I could do to make the car my own. Ultimately I lowered it and went Stage 2. This forum was a huge help (and continues to be).

Sadly, I loved that car but sold it about a year later. My reason for selling it was a complicated and emotional one. Some things were going on with my family and I didn't know how to properly cope. It was poor and impulsive decision I have regretted it ever since.

In the last 3 years I have owned a Jeep Wrangler, Stage 3 e30 M3, an AP2 s2000, and a Lexus IS350. I have always tried to find a car that would excite me the way my STI did. All were failed attempts. There was always something missing.

So now I'm back! I took delivery on 4/18/2014. I wasn't sure how I would like the ISM in person since most pictures I've seen have been average. Pictures don't do it justice, but it's a diary -- so I have to post some!

ORDER DETAILS
  • Limited Edition - Ice Silver Mettalic STi
  • Short Throw Shifter
  • Red Illumination Kit
  • Rear Bumper Applique
  • Center Armrest Extension
  • Auto-Dimming Mirror with Home Link
  • Cargo Tray
CURRENT MOD LIST
  • 35% Tint All Around
  • Red and Silver Vinyl Overlays for Subaru Emblems
  • Debadged
  • Passport Max and Mirror Mount
  • Xpel Paint Protection (full hood, bumper, door cuffs)
  • STi Front Lip
  • Gramlights 57DR 18 x 9.5 +38
  • Michelin Super Sports 265 35 18

FUTURE MOD LIST

• Rally Armor Mud Flaps
  • Aftermarket Head Unit (maybe)
  • Weathertech Floor Mats

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thank you both.

I decided to debadge the left side of the trunk with the help of my beautiful wife.
hell yeah, that's the first thing EVERYONE should do when they get home... I know that's what I did... 100 times better looking rear because of it...:tup:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It definitely looks clean. And, I'm all for eliminating the chrome.

This morning's project was pretty straightforward. I added a new license plate bracket. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decided to get rid of the holes in my bumper... It's not perfect, but it was a cheap solution that looks better than having holes!

bumper 2.JPG

·
Registered
841 Posts
Decided to get rid of the holes in my bumper... It's not perfect, but it was a cheap solution that looks better than having holes!

View attachment 31377
where are you putting the front license plate then? here in washington I see people get tickets all the time so im very hesitant to do this, unless there is another option. Did you just get rid of the front plate all together?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where are you putting the front license plate then? here in washington I see people get tickets all the time so im very hesitant to do this, unless there is another option. Did you just get rid of the front plate all together?
I've decided to take the risk for now. Here in OR, it's an $80 ticket that doesn't include points on your license. Worst case, I'll move the plate to my dash (likely after a ticket or two). My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I really think the plate takes a lot away from the front profile of the car. :cool:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about not installing the front plate. Not sure I want to give the cops another reason to pull me over.
Yes, that is an important point. Also a reason why I'm shopping for a V1 or 9500ix right now. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Another reason for me to put a front plate is the assholes at the dealership drilled holes to slap on their stupid advertising plate. Jack wagons.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes, that is an important point. Also a reason why I'm shopping for a V1 or 9500ix right now. :)
from my research the V1 is more expensive due to some silly features.. I bought the 9500xi gps passport and LOVE IT! my friend has a V1 and we tested and found we both get notified about the same time and distance about cops, same amount of false alarms vs not. But my passport with its gps thingy can locate where you are and figure out if you are constantly getting the same false alarm.. then locks the signal out. It learns your route you take and marks speed traps and such internally. highly recommend it.. also its cheaper by 100 bucks. And during black friday I picked mine up on sale for 395 bucks! :tup:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good feedback, thanks. I like the directional aspect of the Valentine. But it sounds like the Passport would be the more "quiet" choice of the two. Either way, I'm hoping to pick up a used RD off ebay or craigslist.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I decided to pick up a V1 off craigslist yesterday for $260. I ordered SAVVY last night so I can do a concealed installation and enable auto-mute below 45mph. I'll eventually order the V1 connection as well for bluetooth functionality.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I've ordered a mirrormount from Amazon. :)

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Thanks, I've ordered a mirrormount from Amazon. :)

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
I looked at both options on amazon and decided on the blendmount because it looked better designed. I know it was the more expensive of the toe but I'm not regretting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 130 Posts