IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dunno if anyone else is in the same boat, but our area is expected to be hit dead on by Isabel and my car has no place except for the apartment parking lot. Anyone been in a similar experience before? I probably need a car cover but I have no idea where to get one. Ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
continuation of last post

HA HA HA HA HA, car cover.........thats great.....only if its 3/4 inch steel and bolted to the ground, otherwise I think your STi needs to visit some relatives in a land locked state for a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When once in a Hurricane, I drove all my babies to a well placed parking garage, out of wind, etc. and parked on the second level, near a big pillar. May have to deal with vandalism depending on where you live as I was in Wilmington, NC (Hick town at the time) but nothing is as bad as a flooded or a damaged car from debris. With car covers on all of them they were all unscathed! Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Good luck. Park betweek two minivans or large vehicles. There's a good chance you'll lose the cover OR get paint rubbed off in spots as it moves around.

Any chance you can get it over to a mini-storage facility? Suck up the cost of a one month rental?? Just a suggestion.

M

·
0 Posts
If you are really anywhere near the initial point of contact, you should probably consider driving further inland with it (and yourself). I don't think a car cover is going to help you one bit.

At the very least, I would want it in a completely enclosed structure, either a garage or a storage unit or something.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, no, I'm not "close", I'm dead in the middle of it, at least by current models :) Right now they're predicting 130mph winds locally and up to 14ft of surge. They say anywhere below the second level of an apartment building will likely be under water. In this case, a car cover would do about as good as wrapping my car in 20 rolls of toilet paper :) There's a couple of parking garages around so I'll have to look into that. I think any self-storage won't work if we're flooded, I need to get it off the ground. Man I wish I could hoist that up in the living room hhehe.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm in greenville SC, we may get severe thunderstorms but it will be nothing compared to what you're in for.

If you need a place to evacuate to, you can crash on my couch, :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
evoklr said:
Haha, no, I'm not "close", I'm dead in the middle of it, at least by current models :) Right now they're predicting 130mph winds locally and up to 14ft of surge. They say anywhere below the second level of an apartment building will likely be under water. In this case, a car cover would do about as good as wrapping my car in 20 rolls of toilet paper :) There's a couple of parking garages around so I'll have to look into that. I think any self-storage won't work if we're flooded, I need to get it off the ground. Man I wish I could hoist that up in the living room hhehe.
Good luck! I'm in Raleigh so we're keeping a close eye on this. What sucks is that my car is due in at the end of this week...just in time for Isabel. I was going to try to get it broken in for the Subaru Challenge in SC on 10/11. If Isable screws up the delivery date there will be virtually no way in hell I'll have my car broken in properly by 10/11.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If nothing else seems better, try and rent a 'self storage unit' big enough to park your car in, and then only keep it for one month.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
ERRRrrrggh

i'm going to michigan . in a surprise event my ship is actually acting like they care about our families for once ,and are giving us time to get them out of town. well they said they will today, we'll see what they say tomorrow. if not i always got the garage :D i live in suffolk,va so it shouldn't be more than windy and maybe minor flooding.(i hope!!)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
evoklr. head west, young man. i hear memphis is very nice this time of year. :) better yet, i'd go to mid-ohio for the weekend to see the races. best of luck to ya whatever you decide. we're headed (flying) to cleveland for the weekend; sister-in-law is getting married. the sti will be lock up tight in our garage. i just hope no trees fall on the house. they're saying alexandria/dc is going to get hit also, but with less force.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Seriously find a storage place away from the forecasted path of the hurricane and park you're car there. If you're really ballsy take a bus back home otherwise rent a motel and spend a week watchin HBO.

When I was a kid, I used to live in Houston Tx, i was there when Hurricane Alicia blew by. Spent the whole day in a pantry. Don't put your STi through that. Do you have any idea how much therapy you're gonna need when it get's whisked over the rainbow. :eek:

·
Registered
983 Posts
how bad is maryland gonna be do u know? i live close to baltimore.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good to find you guys

ive seen on the news that its going to be pretty bad and that its going to be on shore around 12 noon tommoro. Hopefully evoklr is leaving his area right now so that he is safe and his car is too. It looks really bad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts