IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone checked to see if your alignment is off?

Last night, I checked with an 'L' ruler and it looked like I had positive camber on both of the front tires!! It wasn't much but I'm sure that attributed to the understeer that I was seeing. I set it to the maximum negative camber which people are saying is -.8 to -1 degree. That looks about right. It got rid of a decent amount of understeer. Too bad I can't get more like -1.5 to -2 deg for autox. I'll check the rear camber and toe this week to see what if they are off too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Re: Information on WRX/WRX STI, I.E. awards...

Mine was quite off when I took delivery, got it aligned about a week later at the dealership and set the fronts to -1.5, rears to -0.5. I believe, the maximum on the fronts with stock bolts are -1.8, but I may be wrong as I did not do it on my own.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I don't know too much about aalignment, but I do know that my car pulls to the left, am planing on bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow; also steering while is not center pointed. :evil: I checked the tire pressure and used different streets and flat areas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh I was reading norseman's post
also steering while is not center pointed. I checked the tire pressure and used different streets and flat areas.
As far as my STI goes. I won't be taking it a mechanic dealer or what ever. Unless its really necessary. I don't want my car messed with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My alignment was definitely off when I got the car. They said to wait until about 800 miles until I could have it fixed. So when the car had the correct mileage I took it into get fixed. What a debaucle. It took them approx. 6 hours and I was almost raging when I left. Their reasoning was that it's very difficult to get it right on this car - BS.
Anyway, the toe was out of spec on the front and back. When they gave the car back after about 4 hours I drove out of there and the alignment was even farther off than when I brought it in - they never re-adjusted the wheel so it was going straight for the most part but the wheel was way off to the left. Thus, I went straight back in and it took another 2 hrs to have it done again. Finally, I think it's pretty much right on.

Cliff notes : My alignment was off - toe in was wrong on the front and back. Took 6 hrs to fix but now it's good. Gained some white hair in the process.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had my car in the dealer 2 times and it still does the same, pulls left and steering wheel is off center. Anybody have the correct specs for our STi's? I know they didn't do anything the first time I brought it in cause I got it back w/ the plastic bags still on the springs! The dealer didn't even clean up the car when I got it. They just pulled off the white shrink wrap and gave it to me w/ dirty wheels! The I noticed the plastic bags on the springs and struts and left them on so I could complain and the bastards didn't even notice they were still on when the supposibly did an alinement. So the 2nd time I went back for alinement they did something and took off the bags but it is still pulling left but not as bad and the wheel chuck is still not centered. These dealerships know absolutly nothing about the STi's. The service manager hasn't even driven one yet! I need to find a good dealer in my area or a great alinement shop and get this shit straitend out. The car really doesn't handle very well right now! I'm very pissed, sorry for the rant, I know you guys have heard this story before. :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light. Help!

I don't like the Subaru dealers in my city. I had no problem with GM dealers when I had my GTP, but the Suby dealers blow. The Subaru cars are much better, but the service SUCKS.

I had to pull the bags off of my struts as well. My PDI carbonless form was blank and stuck in with all of my paper work. I also had to remove a boat load of adhesive from all over the car.

I went to an aftermarket shop and paid $70.00 to have the alignment done right. The guys at the alignment shop thought I was nuts to have a new car aligned. They were all surprised when the car was way out of alignment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It seems that most of these cars are out of alignment from the factory. I just pick up a blue/silver yesterday and noticed that it pulles to the left and the steering wheel is off center. It didn't bother me too much since I plan to lower the car in the next week. What are the best springs? I plan on doing Auto-x with it and don't mind a harsh ride. My 1991 ZR-1 corvette had a rough ride, so I'm used to it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK, so has anyone picked up their new STi with satisfactory alignment??? I have had mine for a week and it has always pulled left - especially under braking. I don't understand why the cars don't come dialed from the factory. I am dreading even the thought of a freakin' dealer wrenching on my brand new ride...yikes!
And yes, I am going to remove my plastic socks that are over the springs tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem with the WRX. But after I upgraded the WRX suspension to DMS, I learned how to do my own alignments.

For the STI, I got an alignment done at a reputable shop, but I am going to recheck it on my own, I think I can do better. the shop alignment only offers a decent baseline to make my own measurements.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
A little late in reading this, but I"ll add myself to the "bad alignment off the lot" list. Came back to the dealership 3 days after I got the STi and had it fixed. Tracks perfectly straight now, but it would be nice if that was the case from day 1. Happy to say that's been my only performance complaint.

·
Registered
112 Posts
is the alignment covered in the warranty?

or the dealer charge $70 for getting it done, coz if so i could get it done at a better store haha

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If it's from the factory it should absolutely be covered. If they give you any crap, I would just escalate it accordingly - service manager, general manager, SOA rep.

Also, just to add to the data, my steering wheel is off to the left. I think my alignment is ok though. The steering wheel issue is annoying, but like many others, don't want anyone touching my car. Maybe I'll try to fix it myself, time to check out the service manual.

-st

·
Registered
84 Posts
wanted: STi factory rims w/factory rubber

I just got my STI 2 weeks ago and I have a only 110 miles on it. But I've noticed the same thing. My steering wheel sometimes goes left a few degrees and then sometimes it goes right a few degrees. Also the STI seems to wander a bit when coasting, but goes straight when accelerating. For me its no big deal. I don't think I'll take it to the dealer until they have more "practice" on this car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My steering wheel on my 2001 RS was off to the left and now my 2004 STI is off to the left and a fellow STI owner here was saying his is off to the left also so it seems to be a Subaru problem :evil:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts