IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out and about reading up on different ECU engine management setups and was wondering if UTEC was really where its at? I saw some cool companies like HALTECH, MOTEC, TECHTOM, and they were ALL very impressive with the features they had. Granted UTEC will be plug and play specifically for our cars (the other EM setups above might be as well, im not sure) but ... I was just curious as to what you guys thought.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
All I can say is: As long as I've been posting here, there have been only two truths in the imprezawrxsti.com bible:

1) STi's are awesome.
2) UTEC is the god of all engine management.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
haltech sucks!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
btw, the other systems robert are hella expensive!!!! im looken at the wolf 3d version 4 now thats a cool system, btw i had haltech on my rx7 i hated it!!!!!

as far as plug in play would be great obviously, but so u know all the others will be your own harness and sensors! which is pain staking and the advantage is no MAF!!!!!!!! =)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Utec is not the way to go IMHO. Wait for Ecutek which comes out at the end of this month. Ecutek is golden for WRX's it will be for STi's as well ;)

Mario

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
I had motec M48 in MY99 STi... like said above alot of $ and you need a REAL good tuner... took a decent amount of dyno time getting mine right. i have a few friends running haltech, they dont really say that it is really good or that they are disspointed with it, which leads me to believe it is average:)

·
Registered
575 Posts
How do we know which is the best for the STi since no product is even out on the market place? isnt it kinda early to be making guesses?

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
I guess most like myself are looking at features of the product and its ability to tap into all features you need to adjust

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In2Deep said:
Utec is not the way to go IMHO. Wait for Ecutek which comes out at the end of this month. Ecutek is golden for WRX's it will be for STi's as well ;)

Mario
Hey man! I sent you and your company (ESX) some emails and PM and havent heard back? Whats up? Not a huge deal, but you guys PMed me about the kits and then I didnt hear anything back.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
yxan2 said:
How do we know which is the best for the STi since no product is even out on the market place? isnt it kinda early to be making guesses?

:lol: thats what this thread is for, to inform you what to get and what is better , before it reachs the shelf buddy! :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
What defines better Engine Management?

IMHO a tool is only as good as the mechanic. A poorly tuned Motec M800 is about as a good as $4000 lead-weight, and a poorly tuned UTEC is it's equivalent.

I would start to talking to well known performance shops and see what they're using, what performance they're getting and how reliable their states of tunes are, whether they have vehicles sponsored and compete regularly in mototsport, do they develop and tune other cars etc. Cause at the end of the day, you're counting on the tuners experience and know how, not what latest equipment they have...

·
Registered
304 Posts
the ecutek is very cool. i may go with that. downtime for a reflash sucks though. for me it will be either that or the e-manage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ecutek is the best way to go on WRX's and considering the amount of support the British company gives the industry, I'm quite confident that it will also be the best way to go for the STi.

Also remember that every car is different even with the same exact mods on it. It is therefore impossible to get the optimum tune for a car without having in front of you on a dyno. So don't fall for the companies that do mail order tuning ;)

Mario

·
Registered
575 Posts
FasStAsS_sTi said:
yxan2 said:

:lol: thats what this thread is for, to inform you what to get and what is better , before it reachs the shelf buddy! :wink:
agreed :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Having had a 02 WRX and going through the unichip, Link ECU and then the UTEC I think I can contribute a bit to this conversation.

As a general rule the unichip worked decently (tuned by COBB) but it lacked any end-user adjustability. This was slightly aggrevating since I lived at altitude and we have to tune a bit different up here (3-4psi more boost than sea level equivalent maps).

Then I went to a Link ECU in my quest for tunability on my part. It worked well, even though the learning curve was a bit steep. The only downsides to the Link/Stand alones are you have to worry about EVERYTHING. Meaning you have to worry about getting your idle correct, in all conditions (A/C on/off, hot/cold start, etc). Then there was a TPS/fuel pump bug that showed up that myself and a few other local CO people experience and brought out into the public boards after Link pretty much refused to help us. After we brought the problem out in the public forum eye they quickly fixed the problem, but at that time I moved on since the bug affected the car in literally dying on long hwy type condition.

THen I went to the UTEC. The UTEC pretty much lives up to all of it's hype in that you get to have tunability in the WOT/HIGH boost areas (where you care about tuning the car) and don't have to mess with all the other stuff that the factory ECU does so well (idle, stoich a/f at light cruise, cold/hot start, emission, etc). The only downside to the UTEC and any standalone for that matter is that it uses static timing/fueling maps that rely on a semi-safe tune to accomadate for large changes in weather and fuel quality or a watchfull eye on many a gauge. But overall if you want to tune yourself it is VERY nice, easy to use and convenient tool.

The reflashes are also equally nice but you start to use the ability to tweak things yourself which is slightly offset by the fact that they retain the general nature of the stock ECU. And that is they have adaptability in the timing and fueling maps to maximize for good fuel and weather conditions and likewise with bad gas/weather.

I think somthing like Cobb's AccessECU and AccessPort will be a nice blend of both worlds allowing you to tweak the maps/parameters a bit yourself although I am not quite clear on how extensive those tweaking capabilities will go it still should be a VERY nice package especially for the price point as well.

Personally I am going to try a few bolt-ons and if I can get to 12s without detonation then I might pass on any engine management. If not then I will probably pursue a reflash since I got the bleeding edge/tinkering/tweaking/tuning mostly out of my system with the UTEC and Link ECUs.

As far as the other standalone ECUs you mentioned they all are pretty decent but you have to keep in mind that almost none of them are WRX application specific which means just getting them plugged into your car will take a bit of work and THEN you have to tune everything on top of that = LOT of time and/or money if you pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have been reading about all of them for quite sometime. I personally will go standalone or piggyback because I must have end-user tunability. Utec will likely be my choice, others are much more powerful - but much more expensive - in terms of initial cost and extra labor and dyno time tuning. I thought I understood utec may optionally remove MAF, which I am interested in, but what I really wanted was an AEM standalone. Maybe almost twice as much as Utec, but much more powerful (with available anti-lag too!) and still half the cost of standalones like haltech, motec, autronic. Unfortunately numerous visits to their forum have only returned bad news, it seems "drive by wire" end liability being the biggest issue.

just my $.02 Robert

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmmm thank you, I will continue to look into this.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
the optional MAF would 100% get me to buy this system! that would be the best ever and the fact its all plug in play....then let me tell you i will get on this system....but if its not then the emanage is not a bad second choice!

·
Registered
240 Posts
says on txs site that utec will be available with optional maf to map conversion kit. fasstass sti wanna explain advantages to me?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably the fact of running bigger turbos and what not without maxxing out the MAF sensor voltage range (i believe). Perrin now has a bigger maf available for those running bigger turbos and more boost!

Robert~

1 - 20 of 31 Posts