IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend gave me an MTX Pro Thunder 1502 amp for basically nothing. I know squat about car audio equipment - but it looks to be a two channel amp (the back says 75 into 4ohm, 150 into 2ohm, 300 watts bridged 4ohm). Would this be sufficient to drive a pair of 6 1/2 fronts? Or more suited for a sub? I got my STi about 6 hours ago and am already trying to put together a system (a budget one). The engine sounds are great, but I need a little music here and there.

Part 2 - I also got a pair of Pioneer Premier TS-E1380 speakers. No idea what they are (or their size - I don't have a ruler handy), but I got them at a garage sale and have never used them. Just about to do a search on these to see what I can find, but thought I'd throw it out there.

In conclusion, if anyone knows if these bits can be cobbled together to make a decent stereo that will fit in my STi, I'd love to know. That would just leave another pair of speakers and a head unit. And maybe a 10" or 12" sub in the back - don't want anything boomy, just "full-sounding".

Thanks!

·
Registered
858 Posts
they can go either ways...

you would check on the power ratings of your speakers to decide.

for example, if the pioneers are like 25 watts RMS rating, i wouldnt use the mtx on it.

but if you get subwoofers that are 4 ohms and rated at 1000 watts, i wouldnt use the amp on it then...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks guyz.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, the Pioneers are rated at 120W max power, 30W nom. into 4 ohms and appear to be 5" (or 5 1/2, whatever the standard is). Maybe it would be better to let the head unit run these, then get a pair of nice 6 1/2's and use the MTX amp for those? Then just bag the subwoofer idea until I have some money for a good sub amp and a 12"?

Now to find a good head unit - lots of people seem to be mentioning Alpines here. I'll research that as soon as I bring myself to take a break from driving this car!

·
Registered
858 Posts
negative.

do yourself a favor. if $$$ is a little tite, buy the biggest and baddest speakers you can fit in the front doors.

the use the mtx to power them.

when $$$ starts to flow, then buy another kick ass sub and amp combo to supplement the kick ass front door speakers you have already.

dont even bother with the rear doors.

IMO, dont bother with using the power from the head unit. they are crap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts