IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Yes and no... that method has been tested to perform WORSE then my method and lineage's. A chain will be more efficient and create more power, where as the spidering out to different locations from one point will cost more and be less efficient. Vivid racing did a study on this. My kits are $46 for a full 4gauge premade kit... $39 if you wanna make it (but i supply parts). If you would like more info you can pm me o something.

Also sorry I didnt answer this in the performance electronics. I only have an EBC and thats covered in here so I dont go in there much. I was just browsing tonight and saw where you had asked.

Robert~

·
Registered
508 Posts
Robert,

Do you have any documentation showing that the "chain" grounding method you sell works better than the "spider" method? If you ask any good Electrical Engineer they will tell you that a "spider" grounding method from a single point is most effective, otherwise you can end up with "ground loops" that will create additional noise and end up effecting things negatively. I am actually suprised this isn't brought up more by technical folks, so maybe I am missing something.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
You missed the main one timmy... That lineage kit is also a chain type grounding kit and over $100 as you can see (if you include shipping). As for documentation here: http://vividracing.securesites.net/index.php?src=news&prid=66&category=Hot Mod of the Month

In the hot mod of the month, may 2003, it describes what I said. "Grounding kits use to be a phenomenom that nobody could understand. "I take some stereo cable and ground the car to a couple places and make power?" Yes true, but not that easy. Ground cables have been a huge thing in Japan where they originated. Grounding cars was found to increase horsepower, gas mileage, throttle response, and all electrical power improved. But how? " ....

"Ground kits are available in several styles, brands, and colors. We sell 3 kits: Lineage, Hyper Ground, and HKS Circle Earth. The Lineage and Hyper Ground use the car as an entire loop for grounding. Where as the HKS spiders out and brings the negative ground to the battery terminal. With extensive testing our routine use, we have found that the Loop Grounding Style works more efficient and is better for overall performance. We recommend the Lineage Kit for price, design, and installation ease. "

There ya go. Also tonight is no play and all work. Got all sorts o goodies in, but im building 9 kits tonight (or will try), taking videos of the exhaust, doing a write up for the SBC-ID, and who knows what other good stuff I might have in store tonight. But basically, buying a kit from me vs lineage, you get more for paying less, for a little wait.

Robert~

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, Im an Electrical Engineer........in school they tought us that ground/earth is just 'ground' and that all you need is ONE grounding point.......I guess they implied ONE grounding point under IDEAL conditions.

Now, after graduation I started working for a satellite manufacturing company in Palo Alto, CA <I got another job here @ SoCal :) >....there engineers and test procedures suggested multiple grounding points.....I had no clue as to why.......

Now a days I think and yeah, it would be better if you had multiple grounding points!!!!

I think its one of those things in which text books differ from real life scenarios. In all, Id use the entire car as a grounding point.

later

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
??? Im kinda confused Gamover... do you mean like Spider out (like the HKS brand), because ALL grounding kits use more then one point, mine uses 7 or 8 now and lineage 4 or so. The hks does more but is in the $1XX range, but has that spidering out design. So I guess what Im asking is, do you mean multiple grounding points in general or like... spider out from one point to multiple points. The chain system just makes more sense , as my car kinda acted funky when i had multiple points goin to the same spots (points 1,2,and 3 used to be on the manifold same with 4,5,6), then i changed to a chain formation after reading vivid's write up. Everything just seemed to smooth out and work better *shrug*. Sorry I have no real data, but I use what works.

Robert~

·
Registered
271 Posts
Who wants wires stretching all over the car. Your kit is like one wire broken up into parts that attach to most major grounding points. Easy to install and not a hassle. Who could ask for more? In a 2004, you are not likely to notice a difference between a spiker or not. Point is that any grounding kit will give the benefits you are seeking, so look at cost and appearance as the factors to motivate your purchase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts