IW STi Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
please do share how those of you claiming 'lean values on the OEM tune' measured this. AFAIK, the AP does not have the ability to log the OEM map.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
i believe you were asking CAKEATER. But, there have been numerous dynos posted over the years. Isn't the stock 2800 rpm stumble associated with a lean spot?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
i believe you were asking CAKEATER. But, there have been numerous dynos posted over the years. Isn't the stock 2800 rpm stumble associated with a lean spot?
i dont think dyno plots tell you AFR. but im still StockAF, so what do i know. =/

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
please do share how those of you claiming 'lean values on the OEM tune' measured this. AFAIK, the AP does not have the ability to log the OEM map.

Yes, it does. The accessport copies the existing map or if stock they call it the “Installed stock” map when you install the AP. This is what I refered to as Stage 0. I ran each stage to see and log the differences from Stage 0, Stage 1, then Stage 1.5, and finally Stage 2.5 (where 0.5 is the aftermarket intake added to that respective stage.)

i dont think dyno plots tell you AFR. but im still StockAF, so what do i know. =/

Plots can be customized to show any data you want that is part of the log. If you have a wideband log, you can add the AFR log to the plot or you can use the AF sensor 1 from the ECU logs to show the calculated ECU AFR.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Yes, it does. The accessport copies the existing map or if stock they call it the “Installed stock” map when you install the AP. This is what I refered to as Stage 0. I ran each stage to see and log the differences from Stage 0, Stage 1, then Stage 1.5, and finally Stage 2.5 (where 0.5 is the aftermarket intake added to that respective stage.)

I was under the impression that the 'stock' MAP on the accessPort is not actually the OEM map, but Cobbs attempt to recreate the stock map for these purposes.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I was under the impression that the 'stock' MAP on the accessPort is not actually the OEM map, but Cobbs attempt to recreate the stock map for these purposes.

It’s a straight copy of the installed map, but it resets the ECU so learning has to happen again, otherwise it’s the exact same stock map unless you install their Stage 1 map.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
It’s a straight copy of the installed map, but it resets the ECU so learning has to happen again, otherwise it’s the exact same stock map unless you install their Stage 1 map.
checked the cobb site, it is simulated. this is not the same as the OEM map.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps/2017-subaru-wrx-sti-installed-stock-mode-map said:
SIMULATED STOCK ... ECU to act like it is still stock.
COBB Tuning - 2017 Subaru WRX STI Installed Stock Mode Map

·
Registered
3,132 Posts

https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps/2017-subaru-wrx-sti-installed-stock-mode-map said:

·
Registered
3,132 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
holy triple post batman.. this was a site bug, not a dupe post. i dont see a way to delete the dupes, so mods please do the needful.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
They only say simulated to cover themselves legally because they can’t truly have a stock map on their AP. If all values are stock, it runs like stock, then I consider this a valid copy to use for OEM logging purposes.
possibly true.. except the cobb maps could be viewed as a 'competitor' to the OEM map and so any comparative data should be suspect. eg, "See how sucky the simulated OEM map is, you need to buy our stuff!"

but i digress.

·
Registered
760 Posts
On my 15 I'm using ECUTEK, the values are in the logs.

How and where this happens, I don't know, I just pay money and magic happens on the dyno.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
possibly true.. except the cobb maps could be viewed as a 'competitor' to the OEM map and so any comparative data should be suspect. eg, "See how sucky the simulated OEM map is, you need to buy our stuff!"

but i digress.

Don’t need to digress. I think you’re missing one of the main features of the accessport. Don’t forget that their selling point is also that the AP can reset the ECU, read codes, log data, view live data, etc. It does exactly the same as any $20 code reader or a $100 tactrix cable combined with a free RomRaider. This is why they offer a stock map so that you can log and see for yourself the claims they make for their future stages. It’s only $700 because it’s a tuner with no cost added trusted source performance maps on a super easy platform that is widely used internationally.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Two STis , 10 years with over 160k Cobb AP protuned miles without any issues and the last 5 years +100 whp over stock on E85 stock turbo on my 2011 STi.

Is the AP worth it?.... I wouldn’t own an STi without it. Both my STis were tuned by the time they hit 5k miles or so....Complete transformation of the car. Yes there are other options but probably 90% of people on here use Cobb AP.

I don’t understand why people say don’t mod until your warranty expires. If you mod and blow your motor, you will have to pay for it either way. Why wait 5 years till the warranty expires?

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Two STis , 10 years with over 160k Cobb AP protuned miles without any issues and the last 5 years +100 whp over stock on E85 stock turbo on my 2011 STi.

Is the AP worth it?.... I wouldn’t own an STi without it. . . .

I don’t understand why people say don’t mod until your warranty expires. If you mod and blow your motor, you will have to pay for it either way. Why wait 5 years till the warranty expires?
Cause if you don't mod and blow your motor it will be covered . . . and the 60K warranty for people like me is only two years.

But I agree, in my GD, Cobb Stage 2 was a transformation - even without a pro-tune - and it ran perfectly till I wore the engine out.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Cause if you don't mod and blow your motor it will be covered . . . and the 60K warranty for people like me is only two years.

But I agree, in my GD, Cobb Stage 2 was a transformation - even without a pro-tune - and it ran perfectly till I wore the engine out.

And not everyone can afford to mod and have a budget for a rebuild. Not modding on warranty is the safest advice without knowing the person’s personal situation.

Edit: I know it sounds like common sense to some of us, but I’d bet close to 80% of the people modding their cars here have no idea how much a rebuild costs, nor have a budget for it. They all believe they’ll take care of it when it happens, which is the most stupid thought process ever.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Add: or how likely it is to be needed for one reason or another !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Short answer - Yes.
Long answer - Maybe. The Accessport is the most user friendly device out there for tuning and is widely supported by tuning shops and by COBB with OTS maps. Given what it brings to the table, it's a pretty good value. However, there are ways you can tune (if you know what you're doing) for significantly less. Tactrix is a good example - at less than $200 it allows you to tune as many Subis' as you want and supports other brands like Mitsubishi. If you're fairly new to the tuning stuff, I absolutely 100% recommend the AP. If you're a tuning veteran and a tech wiz, then maybe consider open source - understanding that the AP is still the better tool.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts