IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read motor trend and Car and Driver’s numbers of 0-60mph in 5.3-5.7 seconds with a 1/4 mile time of around 14.1 (maybe due to the weight and new center diff controls?). I have found a few other sources showing more normal range of 0-60mph in 4.8 and 1/4 mile in 13.3 seconds.

I will be buying a 2015-2020 STi soon and plan to take it to the local 1/4 mile drag strip on occasion. I know these cars are meant for much more involving turning, which I plan to do down the road. This is a big purchase that I have waited much time for and I want to make sure if I chose a 2018-2019 vs a 2015-2017 that it won’t be that much slower for what I intend to do. If anyone has any personal experience or sources, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think on the street you're not going to notice a difference. Maybe not much of a difference on a road course either (I really only casually look at this stuff, so I'm sure someone has the numbers). On a 1/4 track, seems like the 18+ is slower according to the mags. When I bought my 19, I knew this and didn't care as I don't care about racing. I like the bigger brembos and revised front end, plus I'm hesitant buying a used STI, so I bought new. It's a great drivers car that loves turns. Are you keeping it stock or modding. If modding, I'm not sure how much of a difference the 2015-17 makes compared to the 2018+. Sorry I didn't answer anything you asked. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think on the street you're not going to notice a difference. Maybe not much of a difference on a road course either (I really only casually look at this stuff, so I'm sure someone has the numbers). On a 1/4 track, seems like the 18+ is slower according to the mags. When I bought my 19, I knew this and didn't care as I don't care about racing. I like the bigger brembos and revised front end, plus I'm hesitant buying a used STI, so I bought new. It's a great drivers car that loves turns. Are you keeping it stock or modding. If modding, I'm not sure how much of a difference the 2015-17 makes compared to the 2018+. Sorry I didn't answer anything you asked. :cool:
Totally understand wanting a new one for that reason. The 2018 I test drove already had a Cobb intake and I would have to assume it was tuned, I passed just knowing it was modified. I’m going to hunt for a 15-17 to help save money to put towards upgrades. I definitely plan on modding to stage 2. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd take the MY19+ just because of the slightly beefier pistons. This is coming from a MY18 owner.

If you have the luxury of a few months, wait to see what MY21 brings. It's almost certain to be the last year of EJ. Might get some S209 goodies handed down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the wheels and brakes on the 18-20s but like I said, the 1/4 mile will be part of the cars life and I need the best year for those numbers. I’m excited to see the 2021 but won’t have it in the budget.

·
Registered
700 Posts
unless you are a very experienced drag racer you will find it hard to get those numbers. Car and Driver and the other magazines totally beat on the cars just to get the number. The better number to gauge true acceleration is the 5-60mph number. Since the engines haven't changed much I don't think there is much difference.

Considering that you are going to be modifying the car those numbers mean even less, although the beefier pistons and bigger brakes ARE something I'd rather get

·
Registered
91 Posts
Go with the latest model year you can afford. The slight changes get better. Just have to swap those heavy OEM rims.

There's always used 2018 Audi TTRS. 10 second car with a tune/intake/tire. 9's with a few more bolt on. Daily driver year round, just no 6 speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts