IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

this is my first post to this site. I used to own a Z28, and i loved it. however, now i want something with 4 doors and a turbo, sti is the answer.

my question to you guys is this.

is it worth it to buy a used STi? or should i buy brand new? i am graduating next june, and i should be working full time next year. i am 24 years old.
the new sti is a little too expensive for me, so i was heavily considering to buy a used sti.

secondly, is sti a reliable daily driver? i would like to drive this car to and from work everyday, how many miles do you think it can last before problems start tp appear?

thanks guys
 

·
/////////
Joined
·
8,448 Posts
Hmmm lets see, bought mines with 7 miles on it june of last year. Fast forward today and with 25000 miles, all is good. I drive 120 miles a day and i`m loving every second of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Coming from a Z28 you'll be accustomed to the misc rattles from the interior. I love my STI & feel as long as you know you're buying a track car w/signals you will too. The engine and trans make noise and the rides a little stiff, but as long as you keep in mind what the car is its no big deal. I personally wouldn't buy a hi-po sports type car used myself, but would be a good buy if you can find an older owner w/all receipts & little mods. Good luck.
 

·
resigned
Joined
·
5,609 Posts
bought mine used, no major problems in the first 6 months/13000 miles... Do your homework on the car first (as with all used car purchases) and youll be just fine. I probably wont ever consider a brand new car as the immediate depreciation is IMHO not worth what little peace of mind you get.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,283 Posts
Subaru had most reliable car for 2004. Nuff said?


http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/autos/cr_auto_reliability/

http://www.autonet.ca/News/story.cfm?story=/News/2005/03/07/953108.html

autonet said:
Subaru was the most reliable brand in 2004, with an average of eight problems per 100 vehicles.
Need more?

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/08/autos-108097.htm

detroitnews said:
"The most reliable brand overall is now Subaru, which averages eight problems per 100," Consumer Reports said. It noted that Honda Motor Co. Ltd., long a reliability leader, now averaged nine problems per 100.
15 mintues on google is all it took ;).

I think its clear that subaru makes an extremley reliable car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
i bought my 04 STi used with 30k miles and no mods on it. it's my daily driver and i've put 10k on it about 6 months. i see redline through 3rd almost every time i drive. no problems at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
tmdz28 said:
hello

this is my first post to this site. I used to own a Z28, and i loved it. however, now i want something with 4 doors and a turbo, sti is the answer.

my question to you guys is this.

is it worth it to buy a used STi? or should i buy brand new? i am graduating next june, and i should be working full time next year. i am 24 years old.
the new sti is a little too expensive for me, so i was heavily considering to buy a used sti.

secondly, is sti a reliable daily driver? i would like to drive this car to and from work everyday, how many miles do you think it can last before problems start tp appear?

thanks guys
I have 44k pretty-much, trouble free miles on mine. If you can get one that was well taken care of, and not modified by a retard, then it should be very reliable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
absolutely! But..... Dont highly mod it and expect that there wont be some problems. The design of the stock STI is incredibly reliable, its when the aftermarket pieces get added without proper tuning that the problems will start....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
I had a 2004 wrx, I know it's not an STI, but to vouch for Subaru, I drove 60k in two years, really didn't even take care of it because I always wanted the STI and had absolutley no problems at all. I also was in two accidents affecting the front of the car costing about six grand to fix..car was a tank..I'm sure the STI is the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,244 Posts
like others have said, no problems at all, I think its like 80% of Subarus produced in 1996 are still on the road today

granted an STI will cost you more to drive per mile than many other cars, gas, brakes, other parts, can get pricey, but nothing compared to the germans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Their actually will be a big problem after getting the sti and using it for your daily driver, staying out of boost to save gas. If you don't have a heavy foot now, after buying the sti your going to be anxious to boost most of the time and if thats the case, your gas is gonna go, quick.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
I bought my 04 in May03 105,000kms without any issues to speak of. This is my second Subaru and I have yet to have a major failure in a total of 250,000kms between them. Started last year in the dead of winter at -53C without hesitation.
Good luck with your future purchase, you won't regret it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,137 Posts
yes it is, get it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
na2trbodsti said:
Their actually will be a big problem after getting the sti and using it for your daily driver, staying out of boost to save gas. If you don't have a heavy foot now, after buying the sti your going to be anxious to boost most of the time and if thats the case, your gas is gonna go, quick.
and thats a problem why????
:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Bought mine new. Have ~109,000 miles on it. Only problems as a DD are the infamous strut clunk, hood latch broke, and road rash. Other than that, it's great. Mine is mildly modded and still ripping it up. You get normal wear and tear as expected though, so be ready(tires,brakes, oil etc.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
MaSTi04 said:
Bought mine new. Have ~109,000 miles on it. Only problems as a DD are the infamous strut clunk, hood latch broke, and road rash. Other than that, it's great. Mine is mildly modded and still ripping it up. You get normal wear and tear as expected though, so be ready(tires,brakes, oil etc.)

That's impressive..looks like your alone in that category!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
MaSTi04 said:
Bought mine new. Have ~109,000 miles on it. Only problems as a DD are the infamous strut clunk, hood latch broke, and road rash. Other than that, it's great. Mine is mildly modded and still ripping it up. You get normal wear and tear as expected though, so be ready(tires,brakes, oil etc.)
How long has the engine been modded?
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top