IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently have a 06 STI with an Invidia catless DP (stock Catback) and stage 2 93 base map. This set up has been on the car for about a month now.

Just wondering how safe is stage 2 is for the car?

I have been reading a few threads that say that a lot of cars are running rich with Cobb maps...?? Any known issues with Stage 1 or 2 people have experienced? I have also heard of people having "ping" issues...

I wouldn't know if my car is or not....

This is my first Subaru and first turbo car, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible (this forum is great!!!)

I was also wondering, if I wanted to flash by ECU back to stock form, is there any issues/negative effects with having the Invidia DP on?

I must admit that I really don't feel a difference between when I went from stock to stage1 and then from stage 1 to stage 2!!!

Anyone else not really feel a difference when going to stage 2?

Everything is working great! The car runs fine and is making the appropriate boost levels (1.1 - 1.2 bars on boost gage if I remember right... But I'll test it today to make sure)

I know there are always risks when modding a car, hell theres risks with a stock car....

Since this is my daily driver, I would just like to know that I'm not going to damage my car in the long term from running stage 2!

Thanks for all the info!

Jay

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Your car will be MUCH safer and faster if you protune it. With the stock stage 2 maps some cars reported to run rich and others lean (not good). A protune will give you more power and usable torque and it will minimize the chance of boost creep/detonation. Go spend that $300 and you will be glad you did.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,938 Posts
your car is porbably OK with the stg 2 map (and im sure it runs rich, as it is much safer than running lean), but the protune would make things run a lot safer/smoother. i think everyone should get a protune as soon after they go stg 2 as possible.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think running a Cobb AP with stage 2 map is probably THE safest engine/power mod you can do. With your DP on, but no map flash, you are risking elements such as boost creep, hitting fuel cut etc...If you want power in terms of simple bolt on's (stage 2), you are doing it the safest way by using the AP. I have the stage 2 and surrounding mods on my car and yes, it did make a HUGE difference from stock. I'm not sure why you wouldn't see the improvements that I saw. I went from stock to stage 2, not stock-stage 1-stage2. That might be why...

·
Registered
385 Posts
i was kinda in the same boat as you.. i did notice the acceleration was way smoother than stock.. i could feel a difference in power but nothing crazy. then i drove a stock sti and holy crap!!! that thing is very slow... try flash a stock map back on and you will feel the loss of power.. so now i know the stage 2 is way better than stock..

and to maximize your power and safety get a protune!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
GSRREP said:
I think running a Cobb AP with stage 2 map is probably THE safest engine/power mod you can do. With your DP on, but no map flash, you are risking elements such as boost creep, hitting fuel cut etc...If you want power in terms of simple bolt on's (stage 2), you are doing it the safest way by using the AP. I have the stage 2 and surrounding mods on my car and yes, it did make a HUGE difference from stock. I'm not sure why you wouldn't see the improvements that I saw. I went from stock to stage 2, not stock-stage 1-stage2. That might be why...
+ a protune :)

(I still have lagged and not gotten one :()

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Because I live in Canada, I don't have accesss to getting a Protune! I don't think there is even a dyno that works with our cars anywhere around... Maybe Seattle (which is about 5 hours away)

I'm just wondering if I should maybe go back to stock or stage 1 since I don't have access to a Protune??

If I flashed back to stock or Stage 1, will there be any problems with having the DP on?

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I would drive even for 8 hours to get my car protuned...

·
Premium Member
4,595 Posts
^^^werd. Drove almost 5 to get mine done. Best cabbage spent on the car so far (well besides sways:D ).

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you get a Protune done, is it like a map that you can flash and un-flash when you want to with the AP?

Jay

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wondering how it works! If I got a protune, no, I would not want to unflash it.... Unless I had a warranty issue or something like that!

Anyother comments on how safe stage 2 really is for the car?

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
854 Posts
Cobb's STage 2 is like putting on a suit that's too big for you. If you go to the tailor and have it pro-tuned, everything will fit perfect. (Yes, it's pig rich, yes, it's safe.)

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boostpimp said:
Cobb's STage 2 is like putting on a suit that's too big for you. If you go to the tailor and have it pro-tuned, everything will fit perfect. (Yes, it's pig rich, yes, it's safe.)
I thought that Cobb was supposed to do that??<O:p</O:p
<O:p
Why aren’t we ALL getting on Cobb's case about putting out a better map?? Isn't Cobb supposed to be the “Ultimate Tuner”??<O:p
I'm starting to feel a little cheeped out by Cobb at the moment! <O:p
That’s why I spent $800can on the Cobb AP so I could get the car professionally tuned by Cobb!!!<O:p
I know everyone’s car is different in their own way, and that different mods are going to have different effects on the car and that the only way to "Truly" get the most out of a car is to get it "custom" fitted…

But surely Stage 2 can be tweaked to perform better on an overal basis??? RIGHT???<O:p
I’m very surprised that Cobb doesn’t update their maps more often, as this is really what they are known for……<O:p
What’s up with that??<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
854 Posts
They have to put out base maps that blanket the thousand's of STi's out there.
The pro-tune will fine tune the map for your car and should show huge gains in performance.

Cobb can't risk putting out a OTS (off the shelf) map that will ramp things up too much. It could make your car run like a champ and make Joe-Bob's car blow a piston through the hood.Each car is different...hence the pro-tune.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,938 Posts
jaydow11 said:
I thought that Cobb was supposed to do that??<O:p</O:p
Why aren’t we ALL getting on Cobb's case about putting out a better map?? Isn't Cobb supposed to be the “Ultimate Tuner”??<O:p
I'm starting to feel a little cheeped out by Cobb at the moment! <O:p
That’s why I spent $800can on the Cobb AP so I could get the car professionally tuned by Cobb!!!<O:p
I know everyone’s car is different in their own way, and that different mods are going to have different effects on the car and that the only way to "Truly" get the most out of a car is to get it "custom" fitted…

But surely Stage 2 can be tweaked to perform better on an overal basis??? RIGHT???<O:p
I’m very surprised that Cobb doesn’t update their maps more often, as this is really what they are known for……<O:p
What’s up with that??<O:p</O:p

you have to understand that every sti is different, and some can be drastically different from each other. they have to make a map that will run safe on every vehicle (and sometimes that doesnt even happen. i knew someone how was running lean on their stg 2 map). But thats why you can get protuned (and its so highly recommended) or buy the street tuner and tune yourself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts