IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my car tonight and in 4th 5th and 6th gear, when I hit 4000 RPMS, it was like y tires were spinning loose, my RPMS sarted increasing fast and my speed started going up, kind of like when hitting ice, but not as fast. This happends only when floored. Is this a sign the clutch is going, and if so, if I drive norma, will it be ok for a little while if I really drive it easily?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, problem s I am six hundred miles away from home. I can basically stay in 6the gear at 3000rpms the whole time. Doy ou think I can make it home then get to a shsop.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Use 4th, or 5th on any hill. It's torque that will slip the clutch. I parked mine when on the drive home from work I found a few hundred revs on the freeway going up a big grade in 6th. I had nursed it a week.

Depending on your drive you might make it. Sorry, I can't paint a rosy picture. It depends on so much. No hills. No bumper to bumper traffic. No extra throttle. No cruse control. Keep the revs UP!

Best of luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Please explain how this is a differential problem. I'd be much more scared about a diff about to puke than a slipping clutch on a 600 mile drive. The clutch will tell you that it is about to die i.e. slip more. The diff could lock up with no warning, or go no wheel drive.

I shattered the spider gears on an old BMW at an autoX. Had to get a tow home.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Diff problems sounds much more logical in his case than a clutch does. Only for the reason that he said his speed is increasing during the 'slip'. If it was his clutch, the revs would climb, but the speed would stay the same. The speed increasing means the driveshaft is spinning but the wheels aren't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts