IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to learn the Heel/Toe skill but,i am a having a wee bit of trouble the other night i was trying it and when i double clutched i thought i was in nuetral but ,i was still in gear .Lucky for me i had brown boxers on
because it scared the ****e out of me.Any who i am wonderind is it safe to practice this when the car is off.Will i flood the engine or do damage to the tranny.I can't be as bad as what i done but,what do i know?
Tanx in advance
:notsure:

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
There is no throttle cable, electronicly controlled. You wont flood the engine.

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,245 Posts
2slow2curious said:
I have been trying to learn the Heel/Toe skill but,i am a having a wee bit of trouble the other night i was trying it and when i double clutched i thought i was in nuetral but ,i was still in gear .Lucky for me i had brown boxers on
because it scared the ****e out of me.Any who i am wonderind is it safe to practice this when the car is off.Will i flood the engine or do damage to the tranny.I can't be as bad as what i done but,what do i know?
Tanx in advance
heh ya that could be pretty scary

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
2slow2curious said:
Tanx in advance

2slow, heel toeing is a real misnomer (here is a fairly good URL about it). But, if you want to get the initial feel of the pedals you can do it while the car is off. This will help a LOT in just getting that muscle memory into your feet so it becomes natural. I learned it on the track over a weekend, and it was a little scarry. Once i had the "Feel" done i worked on the technique of applying more/less gas/brake. Now I can say I'm really good at it and even use it in daily driving (that is if i know I'm not going to stop before i turn).

Once you have the feel of the pedals down, take it to the street. I dont mean rush hour, but try it sometime where there are not a lot of cars around (so if you mess up you just scare yourself). For this you need, a straight coupled with a corner you dont have to stop for and then another breif straight. Start with the speed limit, if not lower (yes i mean it). Heel toe, smooth turn and accelerate away. Now, try it a little faster, not mach 2, maybe 5 over (if you want to speed, if not its all good, and then do it. Heel toe, smooth turn and accelerate away.

The whole time i want you to concentrate on being smooth, learn to rev match, and not just rev (huge difference and the sti will mask this error, trust me i know ;)). If anything over rev a little (no need to mash it to redline) but rev over where you need to be in the lower gear.

Once you get smooth, vary the speed more and more (again NOT mach 2, this is still the street!), go to more corners (lefts, rights, hairpins, etc). Now once you have it down, go to the track and apply what you have learned at mach 2 :lol: You will need to learn a little more (learning to deal witht he speed, and maybe going though multipule gears), but after a few laps you'll be fine!

one BIG thing... be smooth, our cars mask a LOT of driver errors. But dont be afraid of the car, ours are VERY easy to drive, and if you do mess up, the odds are you'll be fine.

I hope this helps! again if you need anymore help just post :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Spazegun ,great info there have been doing like you said and i definitely have improved i just need more practice also i found i had to move the seat back a little so i can turn my foot i am even driving my auto d/d that way ,lol
I was wondering do you double clutch when you heel toe or single?
I have been doing double is easier doing single ,but just less fun?
Again thanks for the help dude.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know about heel/toe and that it's use to rev-match on downshifts so that you don't upset the car when entering a corner. So what is double clutching for? Could someone please explain it to me or point me to where I can read about it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tip on heel/toe:

Correct me if I'm wrong, if going into a hard corner (braking and shifting from say 5th to 2nd) you have to brake and shift into each gear sequentially. (4th, then 3rd, then 2nd)
Not braking hard and trying to rev match directly to 2nd. If you do it sequentially, rev matching is much easier and takes much less finesse and thought. You can just "stab" at the throttle to bring it up approx 1000rpm, instead of watching it and trying to figure out where the revs should be.

·
Registered
357 Posts
read current issue of grassroots motorsports

there is an article in that magazine(it's got an sti on the cover!) that goes into detail about transmissions and heel-toeing. while you do have syncros, upreving will add to the life of your gear box. if you're really hardcore, then get dogtooth gears with no syncros.

·
Registered
127 Posts
as I don't have an STi YET I got a question for you heel/toers. Can you get to the gas with your little toe and that side of your foot or do you have to get it with your heel? My Miata's pedals are so close that all I really have to do is just roll my foot over to the gas and I'm there!! Wooo

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I can do it both ways... I roll my foot over if I'm heel/toeing while daily driving. If I'm slamming on the brakes, then I use my heel. I would imagine rolling the foot over while hard braking would be a bit hard, as your toes would be pressed on the brakes at full force :p

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
StriderAero said:
as I don't have an STi YET I got a question for you heel/toers. Can you get to the gas with your little toe and that side of your foot or do you have to get it with your heel? My Miata's pedals are so close that all I really have to do is just roll my foot over to the gas and I'm there!! Wooo
Heel/toe is a bit of a misnomer. Its really ball of your foot and whatever part of your right foot you can get to blip the gas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts